Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 05-21-2013, 04:13 AM   #1
Aethyr
Aethyr began at the beginning.

Device: none
Exclamation What does this mean???

Hi everyone...I'm new to this forum. Please can you guys assist me with your valuable input. I'm trying to convert an indesign manuscript into epub format, however when i load the indesign exported epub into Sigil then i get the following error messages:

Failed to load resource: Error opening C : /Users/John/AppData/Local/Temp/Sigil/scratchpad/2fdf1d38-621d-4d46-b3cd-1a80a093d27b/OEBPS/font/TimesNewRomanPSMT.ttf : The system cannot find the path specified.

What does this mean & how can i fix the problem?
Aethyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 04:35 AM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
There's some settings in InDesign that have to do with exporting (or not exporting) fonts. I have no idea where they are or what you need to select, but I've seen other ID users mention the font settings.

NOTE: You will NOT want to be exporting and distributing the Times New Roman font with your epub. I do know that much.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 05-21-2013 at 04:38 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:14 AM   #3
Aethyr

Thanks...i just used Times Roman as an example, but i too think the problem might lie with indesign, because when i export to epub, then it alerts me of missing fonts, but this only happens when i export to epub and not pdf...however the fonts are on my system and in indesigns fonts folder aswell, so why isn't it loading them upon epub export of my manuscript?
Old 05-21-2013, 05:18 AM   #4
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're falling into the old trap of trying to export page design. Embrace the nature of an eBook, it's a container for text. If you want to control layout, fonts etc. export a PDF and read it on a large enough screen.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 05:25 AM   #5
Aethyr

The author of the manuscript would like the layout and typeface to remain unaltered
Old 05-21-2013, 05:47 AM   #6
exaltedwombat
Guru
exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.exaltedwombat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethyr View Post
The author of the manuscript would like the layout and typeface to remain unaltered
Yes, they often do! It can be a battle to tell an author who has just spent months agonising over every detail of layout in a printed copy that for the eBook you're basically just going to pour the text into a bucket - and it's going to display differently on different devices.
exaltedwombat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 07:16 AM   #7
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
You would need to add the fonts manually to the ePUB to allow alternative fonts. However, usually you are not allowed to do that due to license restrictions with regards to font distributing.

And it will get worst for you. InDesign ePUB exports will need TLC to produce a good ePUB that is also more or less the same on all/most devices. It of course is also highly dependent on how it actually looks.
Toxaris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:42 AM   #8
retiredbiker
Addict
retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.retiredbiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Oasis, Ubuntu, Jutoh,Kobo Forma
For what it's worth, and I'm fairly new to this, I recently got Jutoh (about $40 cdn but they have a free trial) and have found that I have really good control of appearance without a huge learning curve. However, I sure agree about pouring text into a bucket...that's the whole point of ebooks.
retiredbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:02 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aethyr View Post
Go get the License fee for embedding TNR (THERE ARE 4 FONTS: normal,bold,italic,bold-italic) in his book and submit the bill for approval
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 10:50 AM   #10
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
This is a list which shows which fonts are embeddable. TNR is not one of them, at least from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/products/type/f...se-rights.html

It appears you would have to make a contract with Monotype to embed TNR from what I could figure out.

Should just about consume the royalties from the book.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:38 AM   #11
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
But first you need someone familiar with ID to tell/show you how to configure it so as not to leave references to fonts that you likely won't be embedding in the epub after learning that it's illegal to redistribute certain fonts without licensing them (and likely too expensive to license for a casual project). Not to mention that most reading devices/apps either 1) outright ignore attempts to force a certain font for the main text of a book. Or 2) provide the user with trivial method of overriding such attempts with their own preferred font.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 AM   #12
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrmikel View Post
This is a list which shows which fonts are embeddable. TNR is not one of them, at least from Adobe:

http://www.adobe.com/products/type/f...se-rights.html

It appears you would have to make a contract with Monotype to embed TNR from what I could figure out.

Should just about consume the royalties from the book.
My point exactly. Monotype has been at the Woodside Whoppie Weed
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 03:32 PM   #13
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

@Aethyr:

This info is based on ID4, but more recent versions should have similar controls.

For starters, when you export to digital editions (epub) uncheck the box for exporting embedded fonts. (I think this is on the first panel that comes up after you hit "save" for the epub export.) ID will still include font declarations in the css file, but they will be set up as if the fonts are present on the local machine, not embedded in the epub. (For TNR, that'll usually be true anyway.)

That should eliminate the error you were seeing, I think.

Now you can either leave things as is, and provide a fallback font for the css (e.g. serif); or you can locate a TNR-look-alike that is freely sharable, and embed that using Sigil (and adapting the font declarations to suit).

And still, some reading devices will probably ignore embedded fonts anyway.

HTH
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by exaltedwombat View Post
Yes, they often do! It can be a battle to tell an author who has just spent months agonising over every detail of layout in a printed copy that for the eBook you're basically just going to pour the text into a bucket - and it's going to display differently on different devices.
MWAHAHAHAHA.

Here's my favorite email of the week, thus far (and, woot! It's only Tuesday; this augurs well for a wild time at my place this week):

Quote:
Pls estimate the total cost for converting this X page textbook to be usable with amazon and other web eBooks, and if it can be exactly the same PDF file after converting w/o misformating [sic] of tables as with amazon Kindle version.
...to which I replied with my usual, well, it's not going to be "exactly" the same PDF file, yadda-yadda, to which I then received this:

Quote:
I think the format to be close to PDF and better than amazon Kindle is the most important competition factor for your Co and others to attract e-pblishers from amazonKindle. Otherwise it's not worth it to spend extra money for the defective amazon Kindle effect....
Pls let me know only when you can guaranty to keep the PDF format....
I mean, as far as I know, companies like mine do a pretty decent job of retaining the essential formatting. Heaven knows, I've seen a lot worse than our efforts. But this book had serious issues, unrelated to the "defective" (mwahahahahaha) Kindle formatting; the issue was the 20lb. issue. Trying to put 20lbs of content into a 5lb. sack. I've never found a really great way of conveying the size issue to people--they simply can't 'see' it. If someone creates a graphic for "typing" paper (8½"x11"), and doesn't understand that it will be unreadable on a 3½" wide device, man, you are just barking at the moon.

Sometimes, you have to save clients from themselves.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
mrmikel
Color me gone
mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mrmikel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-300
Epubs are the hot thing these days and the least appropriate way to make a textbook. Textbooks rely on indexes (indices?) so everyone can look at the same page, on graphics being on a certain page, etc, etc. Happens only on an epub by loading it up with links that slow it down.

Many tablets and readers can do pdfs so what is the freaking deal with having them be epubs?????

As you said, you can not put a 8/5 x 11 page into a 3" screen size without losing something. I guess you meet a lot of people so open minded you can hear the wind whistle through their ears! I can watch movies on my mp3 player but I don't expect the same experience as even my portable DVD player or 32" TV.
mrmikel is offline   Reply With Quote