Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices

Notices

Old 02-13-2011, 01:29 PM   #1
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
How does Android update?

Hi,

I am a newbie to the dedicated ebook reader market and I am thinking of buying my first ebook reader. After getting some excellent advice, I am seriously considering getting the PocketBook IQ 701 which is Android based. Though I am a long time GNU/Linux user, I never used an Android based device in the past and I have a basic question: how does the PocketBook IQ 701 update its OS/firmware? Is that a complicated/risky procedure? Does Android have an update-manager which installs patches automatically?

Also - can I just open a terminal and run "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist upgrade" or something similar to update all the applications? (I assume that Android is deb based, right?)

Thanks,

Farhad
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 03:42 PM   #2
Jabby
Jr. - Junior Member
Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jabby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Archos, Asus, HP, Lenovo, Nexus and Samsung tablets in 7,8 and 10"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
Hi,

I am a newbie to the dedicated ebook reader market and I am thinking of buying my first ebook reader. After getting some excellent advice, I am seriously considering getting the PocketBook IQ 701 which is Android based. Though I am a long time GNU/Linux user, I never used an Android based device in the past and I have a basic question: how does the PocketBook IQ 701 update its OS/firmware? Is that a complicated/risky procedure? Does Android have an update-manager which installs patches automatically?

Also - can I just open a terminal and run "sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get dist upgrade" or something similar to update all the applications? (I assume that Android is deb based, right?)
You download an update zip file to your PC. Unzip it and place the bin file in the root directory of an SD card, put the SD card in the IQ and hold the vol+ and power at the same time until the screen shows "updating". Turn loose and thats that.

Pretty easy. Regards - John(non Unix user)
Jabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2011, 08:35 AM   #3
Farhad
Zealot
Farhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheeseFarhad can extract oil from cheese

Device: N800/Nokia 5230/PB IQ701/PB 360
Pretty easy

Yes, but compared to how most Linux distro handle it or even the Symbian's over-the-air update, still not the best, IMHO.

Thanks for the info though!
Farhad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 07:17 AM   #4
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Farhad View Post
Pretty easy

Yes, but compared to how most Linux distro handle it or even the Symbian's over-the-air update, still not the best, IMHO.

Thanks for the info though!
Not for the average non-techie consumer.

and unless it is 'rooted' then you don't have access to the os level.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote