Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-08-2011, 01:40 AM   #1
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Thanks to all of those who have worked on Calibre

I have been using Calibre for a while now, and yesterday gave me a new appreciation for it.

I had been using it to manage my library for my Sony 505 reader, but I replaced it this Christmas with an Android powered 10.2" tablet and I needed to convert all my books to a format that Aldiko can use.

Most all of my Ebooks were in the LRF format, but some were in other formats; one was even a left over LIT format book (man that is old).

So I took all the steps I needed to get all my Ebooks ready for conversion in Calibre and then selected a bulk convert. I left the PC to do some other work around the house and came back about 45 mins later and everything was done with no errors. 200 Ebooks all pristine and ready to be copied to my tablet. Thanks Kovidgoyal and everyone else working on the Calibre for making this such an easy process.

Now all I need to do is figure out how to copy the Ebooks over to the tablet without having to insert the microSD card in my pc. The tablet, like a lot of the other Chinese made Android tablets, is not natively recognized when connected to a USB port to a PC. I have read/heard a little about having my library online and accessing it through the tablet via a browser, but I am unsure on how to get that done. Still, I can now read my Ebooks on my tablet and I am thankful.

thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 01:48 AM   #2
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
As long as the tablet is seen by the host as a USB drive you can use the "Connect to Older" feature within Calibre even if the tablet is not directly recognised by Calibre.

With the proliferation of android based phones and tablets that are starting to appear I have been wondering if at some point Kovid will decide that only dedicated ebook hardware or mainstream generic devices continue to be added to Calibre for direct recognition. If so the Connect to Folder feature will become a lifeline for such cases.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 02:15 AM   #3
thafrogggg
Rabid Book Weasel
thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.thafrogggg once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Acer Iconia A500 Tablet (lovin' it!!)
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
As long as the tablet is seen by the host as a USB

That is the problem, my PC will not recognize the tablet. It is a problem for a lot of the Chinese made tablets with Android based on a cellphone version firmware. The tablet itself runs great, I can connect via wifi, or 3G, via cell tethering, to the net, it has the new updated Google market, and does everything I have asked it to so far, except for being recognized as an external drive when I plug it in to my PC, but like I said, I can always remove the microSD card and use that in the PC to transfer stuff.

I also have to do some stuff with the Ebook file names so that Aldiko can get my collections in series order, but I can also do that in Calilbre once I get all the meta data imported so both libraries are the same, and I have to read/not read check box on my PC's library so I can keep track of my to read list.

I am sure that as the Chinese manufacturers work with this platform, they will be able to implement this feature. Especially when they get a hold of the new 3.0 Gingerbread builds. Till then, I will wait patiently and continue to enjoy reading
thafrogggg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 05:45 AM   #4
Lady Fitzgerald
Wizard
Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Fitzgerald ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: JetBook Lite (away from home) + 1 spare, 32" TV (at home)
My JBL is recognized by calibre but it has the old USB 1.0 connection so it's much faster to save books to a folder on the desktop of either of my computers (a desktop and a netbook), then drag the folder to the SD card my JBL uses. It works without a problem and it doesn't run the batteries in the JBL down like a direct connection will.
Lady Fitzgerald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 07:28 AM   #5
eerok
noobus perpetuus
eerok began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-650
I just wanted to jump on this thread and add my thanks to all the Calibre devs. I use Calibre on Linux and Mac, and it's made managing ebooks on my PRS-650 a breeze.

Nice work -- you guys are awesome
eerok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2011, 08:13 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
You're welcome
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote