Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > Android Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 11-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #1
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Android App Inventor

As you may know, Google has released a tool called AppInventor which is supposed to help people completely unable to program in order to build apps for Android with a GUI, aiming for simplicity. I signed up for the project since I am interested in learning how to program in general, and I can have a feel for it with this. Nevertheless, I'm starting to get my first problems, and I haven't even installled the thing

The matter comes because Java Virtual Machine and my computers seem not to be in the best terms. I'm using Ubuntu 10.10, and Chromium as my browser in both of them. While installing the latest java was simple, I'm not being able to fire up the test applets that Java puts in their website with my computers.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 10:59 AM   #2
NetGhost03
NetGhost03 began at the beginning.

Device: none
Well, I also signed up for the beta test of the app inventor. It wasn't easy to setup everything but the documentation for windows users is pretty good.

And it's really easy to "write" applications on it. Like a puzzle. But I don't like it. It's maybe good for people who know coding but not in java. They can click a bit and build an application. But there are a lot of limitation of functionality and you don't have full control of the application you build.

For serious programming use the Android SDK for java and the traditional way.
NetGhost03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:13 PM   #3
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
I do know how to code, but I thought this app would be cool. For writing quick apps it is very nice. I had an app that I created for my wife in a few min.

My feeling is this app will allow people to make some pretty complex apps but the apps will be huge and hard to manage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
....While installing the latest java was simple, I'm not being able to fire up the test applets that Java puts in their website with my computers.
It looks like your Java plugin is not working.

I've googled the problem for you and here is a How-to that steps you through configuring the Java plugin for Chrome on Ubuntu

http://sites.google.com/site/easylin...-32-BIT-UBUNTU

Here is another one but the thread is very old.
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1255646

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 03:20 PM   #4
asjogren
Addict
asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.asjogren is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kindle & WiFi Nook & PocketBook IQ
Is this more usable as a rapid prototyping tool? Would it be good for that purpose?
asjogren is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2010, 03:19 PM   #5
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Quote:
Originally Posted by asjogren View Post
Is this more usable as a rapid prototyping tool? Would it be good for that purpose?
I'm not sure, but I'm inclined to believe it is not. Visual Basic and NetBeans are a good example of Rapid proto typing tools. Where they give you a good GUI builder and the ability to add code.

You can't do that here, everything here is GUI driven. To me this is a tool that allows non developers to create some semi complex apps. The GUI builder is a bit clunky and so is the logic builder, but if you have the time and patience it can be used to create a decent app.

Now if you ask me would I use this to build an app the answer is heck now. I think I would stick to Eclipse.

=X=
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote