Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-27-2010, 11:36 PM   #1
anmipo
anmipo doesn't litteranmipo doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3
An online editor for Kindle browser bookmarks file

Organizing the browser bookmarks on a Kindle is a job for a real Jedi
Basically, one can only add a bookmark, rename it or delete it. No sorting, no custom URLs...
This seems to annoy many people (myself included).

To solve the problem, I've created an online Kindle Bookmark Editor.
It takes the binary bookmarks file and enables you to edit it easily and intuitively.
I've tested it with Kindle 3, not sure if other devices are compatible...

I hope you'll find it useful.

P.S. And since this is a developer's forum - here's some technical info.
The bookmarks_wv file is simply a serialized java.util.ArrayList, containing bookmark objects of class com.amazon.ebook.booklet.browser.BookmarkItem. The BookmarkItem, in turn, has only two fields: title and url, both of type String.
The rest was straight-forward
anmipo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:51 AM   #2
Acorn
Connoisseur
Acorn is on a distinguished road

Brilliant! Does this allow you to use bookmarklets?
Acorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 09:00 AM   #3
anmipo

Well, you can add bookmarklet URLs.
Unfortunately, the browser does not recognize the "javascript:" protocol, and instead of executing the script, opens it in google search.

There's a possibility to use bookmarklets through the "Article mode" menu (which actually executes /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js in the current page's context). Too bad that the "Article mode" resets whenever you surf to a different page...
Old 10-28-2010, 10:59 AM   #4
Millbrook
Reader
Millbrook began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G
Thank you, anmipo! I just tried out your editor and it worked like a charm.
Millbrook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 03:17 PM   #5
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I am one of those who probably need more help, so HELP.

I think I have installed the jailbreak. At least I have screensaver hack working.

What else do I need to do. I do not find that file or folder tree.

My k3 was plugged into usb and I saw files/folders but not that one.

Thanks in advance (or tell me this is over my head!)
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-28-2010, 05:26 PM   #6
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
Great work! Is there a (Java) editor that can edit these serialised data files directly?
Polvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 08:55 PM   #7
anmipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polvo View Post
Great work! Is there a (Java) editor that can edit these serialised data files directly?
None that I know of...
However, it's easy to read/write this file from your own Java program:
Code:
//open an input stream for bookmarks_wv
ObjectInputStream objectInputStream = new ObjectInputStream(inputStream);
ArrayList<BookmarkItem> bookmarks = (ArrayList<BookmarkItem>) objectInputStream.readObject();

//do something with the bookmarks

ObjectOutputStream objectOutputStream = new ObjectOutputStream(outStream);
objectOutputStream.writeObject(bookmarks);
//close streams
Old 10-28-2010, 09:06 PM   #8
anmipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I think I have installed the jailbreak. At least I have screensaver hack working.

What else do I need to do. I do not find that file or folder tree.

My k3 was plugged into usb and I saw files/folders but not that one.
The required file is not accessible when you connect the device as a USB drive. You'll need to use telnet or SSH to access it. Check the forum how to do that.
If "SSH" and "telnet" sounds Chinese to you, it's probably better not to mess with them at the moment, as you risk bricking your Kindle.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:32 AM   #9
pgf
pgf began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by anmipo View Post
I've tested it with Kindle 3, not sure if other devices are compatible...
sadly, it seems not to work with the "bookmarks" file from kindle 2:
Code:
Error: java.io.IOException: java.lang.ClassNotFoundException: com.lab126.booklet.browser.BookmarkItem
i'm no java programmer, so can't say whether the format is similar to the kindle 3 format or not.
pgf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:35 PM   #10
billmilo
Connoisseur
billmilo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi
what are user name and password for kindle 3 to access via ssh?
billmilo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 07:48 PM   #11
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Quote:
Originally Posted by billmilo View Post
what are user name and password for kindle 3 to access via ssh?
Connect via USB first. Set the password there...
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 09:15 PM   #12
kranu
I <3 my Kindle
kranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensionskranu can understand the language of future parallel dimensions

Device: Kindle 3G + WiFi
Well, you ain't no Jedi, but your app is nice. Thanks
kranu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2011, 05:22 AM   #13
arikfunke
Enthusiast
arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.arikfunke is an enigma wrapped up in a mystery.

Device: iRex
Send browser hangup signal instead of reboot?

Hi,

would it be possible to send the browser a HUP signal rather than restart the entire device?

I use lauchpad to switch between two bookmark files and it is quite time-consuming to restart the entire framework to force a reload of the bookmark file. Just forcing a shutdown / reinitialisation of the browser should be much fast.

Many thanks for any hints.
-Arik
arikfunke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2011, 06:10 PM   #14
nafberger
nafberger began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
oy vey

Mr. animpo can you please help me, I want to edit the internet browser bookmark file on my kindle 3, the link you provided "http://kindle-bookmark-editor.appspot.com/" instructs you to grab the file but I can't find it in my kindle even after enabling to see hidden and protected system files, what program do I need to "see" the internet browser bookmark file in my kindle, your help will be very much appreciated
nafberger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2011, 04:40 AM   #15
anmipo

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafberger View Post
I can't find it in my kindle even after enabling to see hidden and protected system files, what program do I need to "see" the internet browser bookmark file in my kindle, your help will be very much appreciated
You'll need to jailbreak the device first, and then use SSH or Telnet to access it and copy the required file from the hidden system partition. After editing the file, you'll need to copy it back into the system.

If you feel uncomfortable with jailbreaking or SSHing, than it is probably safer to avoid this approach, as you might brick your Kindle. Unfortunately, currently there is no way to make bookmark editing more user-friendly...

Tags
bookmark, browser, browser_wv, edit, kindle