Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 01-31-2009, 09:06 AM   #1
corband
corband began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Greetings from the Great Wet Northwest

Hello all I am a PRS-505 user from Washington State.

I began reading e-books on my trusty Sony CLIÉ many years ago. I quickly discovered that I need an external battery adapter to make it across country, let alone across the great pond. Still it was worth it not to lug around all those paper books.

This went on for a few years until one Christmas my sister bought me a Sony PRS-500. I thought I would never use it, as I was satisfied with the CLIÉ and you had to use Sony’s priority e-book format. So than my CLIÉ died and I was forced to use my Sony. Thankfully, most of my e-books where from Baen, which have always provided them in multiple formats, so all I need was a some type of conversion tool. This search led me to Mobileread.

As time went by I lost my PRS-500 and was “forced” to buy a 505, which I love.

So after a couple of years of reading Mobileread for insights into new software and new sources for e-books I decided to take your advice and post an introduction comment.

Greets to all!
corband is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:10 AM   #2
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
Welcome to the forum, corband. BTW you can now DL your Baen ebooks in the LRF format so you no longer have to convert. How did you lose your PRS-500? Did it die or was it really "lost"?
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome, corband. Glad you decided to 'come out of the woodwork'!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 09:42 AM   #4
corband

No, our house was broken into in 2007 and my wife lost a lot of her jewelry and I lost my PRS-500. Our Insurance, USAA, kicked in and helped cover some of her jewelry and completely for my PRS-500.

Yes I know that Baen now has all their books in the Sony Format. I have gone back and downloaded all my books in that format. Though, I have some books that I go off the CDs they sometimes include in their hardcover books. I did not actually buy those books, but they come in RTF and HTML formats that I have been able to convert to LRF and enjoy on my Sony. Specifically, all the books in the Honorverse; some I own in paper, some I bought from Baen in LFR and others I got off the aforementioned CDs.
Old 01-31-2009, 11:10 AM   #5
acprinter
Groupie
acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.acprinter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 11th generation
Welcome to Mobileread corband.

Would you send some of that rain down to California from the "Great Wet Northwest". We are facing a major water shortage here. Some counties will have mandatory water restrictions of up to 50%.
acprinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2009, 11:19 AM   #6
readingrocks!
x
readingrocks! doesn't litterreadingrocks! doesn't litter

Device: None
Hello, corband. I am a complete newbie to the concept of e-readers and am still researching. Can you use your Sony wirelessly, and if not, do you find that to be a drawback? Did you compare the Kindle before you bought your new Sony?
readingrocks! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:17 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi corband and welcome to the Forum. USAA is pretty good about things like lost eReaders. I lost my iPhone on travel last month and USAA sent me a check on the spot.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:29 PM   #8
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by readingrocks! View Post
Hello, corband. I am a complete newbie to the concept of e-readers and am still researching. Can you use your Sony wirelessly, and if not, do you find that to be a drawback? Did you compare the Kindle before you bought your new Sony?
The Sony is not wireless. That's not a big drawback to me although there are times when it would be handy. I tend to keep plenty of books on my Sony so seldom find myself in a situation where I don't have something to read and need to download something quickly
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 12:51 PM   #9
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
I am another big fan of USAA. I see the ads on TV about GEICO, etc and just laugh. Welcome to the other side of the woodwork, corband!
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:10 PM   #10
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
I am another big fan of USAA. I see the ads on TV about GEICO, etc and just laugh. Welcome to the other side of the woodwork, corband!
Every month or so I had a Geico guy calling to tell me that he could save me money on car insurance. I told him he couldn't, I am with USAA and not to call back. But, he persisted. Finally I decided to let him give me a quote. I gave him the info on the cars and the levels I was carrying. He gave me a price. It was about 30% more IIRC. He stopped calling me after that.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 02:53 PM   #11
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by corband View Post
Hello all I am a PRS-505 user from Washington State.

I began reading e-books on my trusty Sony CLIÉ many years ago. I quickly discovered that I need an external battery adapter to make it across country, let alone across the great pond. Still it was worth it not to lug around all those paper books.

This went on for a few years until one Christmas my sister bought me a Sony PRS-500. I thought I would never use it, as I was satisfied with the CLIÉ and you had to use Sony’s priority e-book format. So than my CLIÉ died and I was forced to use my Sony. Thankfully, most of my e-books where from Baen, which have always provided them in multiple formats, so all I need was a some type of conversion tool. This search led me to Mobileread.

As time went by I lost my PRS-500 and was “forced” to buy a 505, which I love.

So after a couple of years of reading Mobileread for insights into new software and new sources for e-books I decided to take your advice and post an introduction comment.

Greets to all!
Hello fellow Washingtonian:

Many of the Washington Public Libraries offer ebooks for online checkout. If yours does, you may find a whole new wonderful world of free books. King County Library has more than 4500 titles available.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2009, 03:01 PM   #12
corband

Quote:
Originally Posted by readingrocks! View Post
As stated before the Sony is not wireless and I do not find that a problem. I just download books to my laptop from whatever source I want and load the books I want to have available at any particular time on my Sony. All my books reside on my laptop and I can delete books from my Sony and still have them locally available if I get the desire to re-install one.

No I never concidered a Kindle, as I got my original Sony as a Xmas present and just naturaly bought a replacement. However, I have been reviewing the Kindle and discovered that I cannot use its wireless feature at my home. I live in the big ditch, Chambers Canyon, on a Salmon Creek and there is no Sprint service. Plenty of Verizon, but no Sprint. My wife has a company cell phone that is Sprint and it is totally useless at our home. So all the fancy features of a wireless Kindle that will load newspapers and mags well you sleep is wasted on me.

Hope this helps

Last edited by corband; 01-31-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 01-31-2009, 03:07 PM   #13
corband

USAA

For all those fans of USAA.

The dorks that robbed our house through a rock through the glass on our sliding door. Thus there was broken class all over the wall-to-wall rug in our extended family / audio-video room. Without even asking, the USAA rep said they would replace the rug. Than they waived the deductable because they had not made sure that my wife's jewerly was fully insured. Talk about a good insurance company.

Anyway, because the dorks stoled my PRS-500, I was able to buy PRS-550. A truely excellent e-book reader.