Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 02:51 PM   #1
themikeyt
themikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kobo Touch
Aura HD vs Touch vs Glo.

Hi,

I apologize in advance if this has been answered before hand. It's a pretty active forum, so it's hard to find the answers.

Anyways, I own the Kobo touch, and quite like it. No real issues with it, but, with the Aura coming out, I'm curious about it. Is it worth the upgrade? I'm a avid reader, so, the kobo touch is used often. Does HD Make that much of a difference with the text?

Thanks so much,

Mike
themikeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
FJames
Addict
FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FJames ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch & Aura
I've been using the Aura for 3-4 weeks, after having used the Touch for 2 years.

The larger, sharper screen of the Aura is nice, but honestly I don't think it makes much difference to reading books. There's a bit more text per page, and the finer detail means you can get away with a smaller font, but I just don't notice it while reading.

I wanted to update primarily for the glow light. I do find the Touch a bit difficult to read in low-light, low contrast situations. While I've tried a couple of clip-on lights, I didn't like them (issues with glare, uneven coverage). The Aura glow light is excellent, well worth updating for that alone, although it's questionable if it's enough better than the Kobo Glo to justify the price for that alone.

I dislike the hard, sharp-edged feel and the extra size/weight of the Aura compared to the Touch, especially when I pick up one right after the other, although again it tends to fade into the background while reading.

I don't think anything else makes a big difference between them, at least not to me. Extra battery life of the Aura is nice to have, but not essential. Ditto for the improved use of the extra size on the home screen. I've never been in danger of exceeding the 2 Gbyte memory of the Touch. No noticeable difference in performance, although the Aura is dealing with more pixels per screen, and it does start up faster from the powered-off state.

Last edited by FJames; 05-23-2013 at 03:33 PM.
FJames is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 04:27 PM   #3
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've been using my Touch for about 1,5 years and thought about getting a Glo because I often read in low-light conditions or in the dark. But then there was not enough that was different to make me upgrade. Also, the light was too bright.

When I first read about the Aura I know I needed to get one. And I am really happy with it.

The sharpness of the screen allows to read a much smaller font so there is much more text on the screen than on my Touch (when I compared on chapter of the same book using fonts that where comfortable to read: 75 pages on the Touch, 48 on the Aura). It also looks better because it's sharper.

I like the even and warm light (though I have some smudges, but they are not visible in normal reading conditions). The screen is lighter than on my Touch even without the glow on. Much easier to read in low light conditions.

Also I am now able to read manga on my Aura as well as some PDF (which highly depends on the quality of the file) without having to zoom or scroll. I have tried that on my Touch but it was frustrating.

Page turns are faster, books are opened faster, from power off to homescreen is only about 18 seconds...

The homescreen is great. I like that I can have easy acces to more books and also extras, shelves etc. and that the book I am currently reading is not bumped off the screen if I add new books.

There are some extra games which are also nice.

I thought I'd dislike the plastic but it's actually rather nice. It's smooth and easy to clean. What I don't like that much is the corners. They are not as rounded as those of the Touch. And the way I sometimes hold my reader they tend to dug into my hand. Not good. But the back makes it good to hold with two hands.

All in all I am very happy and think that the money was well spent.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
I went from a Kobo Touch to the Aura. My wife had a Nook Touch, saw my Aura and got one for herself.

We are both very pleased with the Aura. The light and the resolution make it a wonderful ereader for people with "old" eyes.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 04:04 PM   #5
themikeyt
themikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of lightthemikeyt is a glorious beacon of light

Thanks everyone.

I decided to pick one up today after reading your thoughts.

I do like it, haven't used it much. One thing I do love is the light and the sharpness of the text. In store, I didnt think it was that big of a deal, at home, looking at it. Yup it is.

My only slight complaint is the body. I find the plastic to smooth and seems a bit slippery in my hands. Won't be a issue for long as I am looknig to get a decal/gelaskin when they are avail for it.

Thanks again.

Mike
themikeyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2013, 11:39 AM   #6
TraceyAnne
TraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo glo
I bought the glo about a week before the aura was announced. I was initially disappointed but I bought my glo from my catalogue and can't send it back without a fault. Which it has none. I may however treat myself to the aura after reading so many great reviews. I read about 4 books a month so I'm just about what kobo refer to as a dedicated book reader. I was just wondering how the light on the kobo aura compares to the glo light? I love the evenness of the glo. I have over fifty books on my glo are they easy to transfer? Sorry for all the questions. I'm quite new to this.
TraceyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 11:40 AM   #7
TraceyAnne
TraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-booksTraceyAnne has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kobo glo
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAnne View Post
I bought the glo about a week before the aura was announced. I was initially disappointed but I bought my glo from my catalogue and can't send it back without a fault. Which it has none. I may however treat myself to the aura after reading so many great reviews. I read about 4 books a month so I'm just about what kobo refer to as a dedicated book reader. I was just wondering how the light on the kobo aura compares to the glo light? I love the evenness of the glo. I have over fifty books on my glo are they easy to transfer? Sorry for all the questions. I'm quite new to this.
I wasn't disappointed in my glo just disappointed I'd missed out on the aura
TraceyAnne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 12:26 PM   #8
Uschiekid
Tenrec
Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uschiekid ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by TraceyAnne View Post
I've only heard better things about the Aura light than the Glo...makes me want it. It goes much dimmer, so better for reading in complete darkness.

Easy-peasy to transfer books onto an aura. If you synched to get them on your glo, sync to get them on an aura. If you sideloaded to get them on your glo, sideload to get them on an aura. 50 books is not a lot to worry about....many people have hundreds or thousands!
Uschiekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2013, 01:00 PM   #9
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara, 2E, Libre, PW4, PW5, 2022 Kindle
I chose to get the Glo instead of the Aura, and I am quite happy with my decision. The 6" size is just right.
booklover6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:37 PM   #10
barney_rebel
Book lover
barney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to behold

Device: Kobo Touch/Aura, Asus Transformer TF300, Samsung Galaxy S3
On sale now everywhere in Canada for $109.99. I am seriously considering it. There's nothing wrong with my Touch, but I might be sold.
barney_rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2014, 05:57 PM   #11
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer
booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.booklover6 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You should!
Old 07-04-2014, 06:15 PM   #12
barney_rebel
Book lover
barney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to beholdbarney_rebel is a marvel to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
You should!
Woops, not the HD. Just the regular Aura :/
Old 07-04-2014, 08:46 PM   #13
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

That's a very good price, if it's US dollars. (And since my post May 2013, I've found a used Aura and a used Aura HD, and I like all of them). If I could just have one, it would be the Aura.
Old 07-04-2014, 08:51 PM   #14
barney_rebel
Book lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by booklover6 View Post
That's a very good price, if it's US dollars. (And since my post May 2013, I've found a used Aura and a used Aura HD, and I like all of them). If I could just have one, it would be the Aura.
Even a regular Aura is a good step up from the Touch?
Old 07-04-2014, 08:54 PM   #15
booklover6
Grand Sorcerer

Oh absolutely! The non-HD Aura is wonderful. Small and light, good lighting, and that edge-to-edge screen is really nice. It's sweet! I love the large screen of the Aura HD but seldom take it out of my bedroom. It's pretty big! Whereas I will take the Aura anywhere.