Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-20-2014, 12:09 AM   #316
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthaaaa View Post
Hello, I was wondering is there anyway to add a single 'book' to multiple shelves?

And also, is there anyway to automatically place books into a shelf based on the information of another column, such a 'Word Count'?
Yes to both of these. If you read the first post, it has the example of a custom column called "#myshelves". This is a tag-type column. To have multiple shelves, enter the names separated by commas.

The other example used is the "series" column. But, it could be most columns in calibre. A numeric column, like I would expect a word count to be, will work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2014, 09:31 PM   #317
Samanthaaaa
Samanthaaaa began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Yes to both of these. If you read the first post, it has the example of a custom column called "#myshelves". This is a tag-type column. To have multiple shelves, enter the names separated by commas.

The other example used is the "series" column. But, it could be most columns in calibre. A numeric column, like I would expect a word count to be, will work.
Thank you David. I don't know if this will veer going a little off-topic now and maybe I need to cross-post in the 'Count Pages' thread too... But I want to create a few bookshelves which sort my 'books' into shelves based on the value of the word count. For example shelves with the title: 'Greater than 20,000 words', 'Greater than 50,000 words', 'Greater than 100,000 Words' etc.

How would I go about this? (And if this is beyond the knowledge of this thread, please tell me to post it else-where).

Thanks again.
Samanthaaaa is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-20-2014, 10:30 PM   #318
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Samanthaaaa View Post
Thank you David. I don't know if this will veer going a little off-topic now and maybe I need to cross-post in the 'Count Pages' thread too... But I want to create a few bookshelves which sort my 'books' into shelves based on the value of the word count. For example shelves with the title: 'Greater than 20,000 words', 'Greater than 50,000 words', 'Greater than 100,000 Words' etc.

How would I go about this? (And if this is beyond the knowledge of this thread, please tell me to post it else-where).
That's not off-topic at all, and it is quite a good idea. I haven't created shelves like that, but I have my word count column colour coded to indicate "Novel", "Novella" etc.

To do something like this, you need a custom column that uses a template to generate the name of the shelf. The following should work:

Code:
Lookup Name:    wordsshelfname
Column Heading: Words Shelf Name
Type:               Column built from other columns
Template: {#words:'cmp($, 100000, cmp($, 50000, cmp($, 20000, '', 'Greater than 20,000 words', 'Greater than 20,000 words'), 'Greater than 50,000 words', 'Greater than 50,000 words'), 'Greater than 100,000 Words', 'Greater than 100,000 Words')'}
Then add "#wordsshelfname" into the shelf column name field of the driver configuration.

You can change the names to what you want. And the "#words" is the lookup name of your word count column.

If you want to add more divisions of the shelves, it isn't hard. But, it might be an idea to look at a slightly different way of doing it. The templates can be put elsewhere, so that they can be reused more easily.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:41 AM   #319
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Device: Kobo Glo, GloHD
Quote:
To do something like this, you need a custom column that uses a template to generate the name of the shelf. The following should work:

Code:
Lookup Name:    wordsshelfname
Column Heading: Words Shelf Name
Type:               Column built from other columns
Template: {#words:'cmp($, 100000, cmp($, 50000, cmp($, 20000, '', 'Greater than 20,000 words', 'Greater than 20,000 words'), 'Greater than 50,000 words', 'Greater than 50,000 words'), 'Greater than 100,000 Words', 'Greater than 100,000 Words')'}
Then add "#wordsshelfname" into the shelf column name field of the driver configuration.
That is a nice idea.
There is this thing though.
When I have the formating like this: {0:,} I get a "TEMPLATE ERROR invalid literal for float(): 54,916"
It works only if I change the formating to {0}, but then, the word count number is more difficult to be read.
There is this "re()" function I've read about, but since I don't know anything about programing, I don't know how to implement it. I'm experimenting, but ...
Any thoughts?
embryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2014, 08:27 PM   #320
kgn
Groupie
kgn has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Pocketbook 302
I setup my Kobo Aura HD using the settings on the first post in this thread. That works just fine as far as it goes. What I REALLY want to do though is emulate the folder structure of my Pocketbook, which is like this....

author_sort[1] / author_sort/ series / series_no - title

ie C / Cussler, Clive / Numa Files / 01 - Sahara.epub
ie at the top level I have the collections A - Z. Inside each letter I have all the authors with names that start with that letter. Inside the folder for each author I have a folder for each series, plus all the books that are not in a series.

In the Kobo I have no problem making up a Shelf (Collection) for any one or all of these. But that is no good at all as you then get hundreds of collections. What needs to happen (I presume) is that you need to be able to create a collection inside another collection.

Is this possible?
kgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2014, 12:21 AM   #321
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Nope. Collections are not nestable
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2014, 01:47 AM   #322
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by embryo View Post
That is a nice idea.
There is this thing though.
When I have the formating like this: {0:,} I get a "TEMPLATE ERROR invalid literal for float(): 54,916"
It works only if I change the formating to {0}, but then, the word count number is more difficult to be read.
There is this "re()" function I've read about, but since I don't know anything about programing, I don't know how to implement it. I'm experimenting, but ...
Any thoughts?
I did notice that, but I cheated and removed the formatting of the number

I had a look through the list of template functions and found "raw_field". That returns the raw value of a column. Using that, the following works:

Code:
{:'cmp(raw_field('#words'), 40000, cmp(raw_field('#words'), 17500, cmp(raw_field('#words'), 7500, '', 'Novelette', 'Novelette'), 'Novella', 'Novella'), 'Novel', 'Novel')'}
Doing the same thing in program mode is:

Code:
program: 
words=raw_field('#words');
shelf_name=cmp(words, 40000, cmp(words, 17500, cmp(words, 7500, '', 'Novelette', 'Novelette'), 'Novella', 'Novella'), 'Novel', 'Novel');
That's still pretty unreadable. A lot better is:

Code:
program: 
words=raw_field('#words');
shelf_name=cmp(words, 7500, '', 'Novelette', 'Novelette');
shelf_name=cmp(words, 17500, shelf_name, 'Novella', 'Novella');
shelf_name=cmp(words, 40000, shelf_name, 'Novel', 'Novel');
And something I hadn't realised before is that the template for this type of column can be changed from the library list. Click in the column to select it, and then either click again or press F2 to open an editor on the template. When changing the template, it is tested using the selected book and the results are shown.
Old 02-22-2014, 12:27 PM   #323
embryo
Fanatic
embryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbitembryo with a running start, can leap into geosynchronous orbit

Quote:
I had a look through the list of template functions and found "raw_field". That returns the raw value of a column. Using that, the following works
It works perfectly, thank you.
Quote:
And something I hadn't realised before is that the template for this type of column can be changed from the library list. Click in the column to select it, and then either click again or press F2 to open an editor on the template. When changing the template, it is tested using the selected book and the results are shown.
Thats a interesting tip.

And since we are at this, do you have any idea about a way to convert the values of this column (or any column) to tags?
Not a way to send them to a Kobo device, but in the tag column inside Calibre.
I did a search and didn't came up with anything useful...

TIA
Old 02-23-2014, 12:58 AM   #324
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
It works perfectly, thank you.
Good to hear.
Quote:
And since we are at this, do you have any idea about a way to convert the values of this column (or any column) to tags?
Not a way to send them to a Kobo device, but in the tag column inside Calibre.
I did a search and didn't came up with anything useful...

TIA
Looks like you can do it with:

Code:
list_re(src_list, separator, search_re, opt_replace)
I can only get it working in program mode. I think the following does what you want using the word count as the input.
Code:
program:
list_re(field('#words'), ',', '.*', '')
It gives results that look like "43, 102". Then I can use "list_item" to retrieve a single item from that list.
Old 02-23-2014, 11:29 AM   #325
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
Looks like you can do it with:

Code:
list_re(src_list, separator, search_re, opt_replace)
I can only get it working in program mode. I think the following does what you want using the word count as the input.
Code:
program:
list_re(field('#words'), ',', '.*', '')
It gives results that look like "43, 102". Then I can use "list_item" to retrieve a single item from that list.
Hmm... I can use the code to create another column that gets the values from my "word group" column, but what I wanted to do is to automatically add that value to the original Tags column, so I could add it inside the epub as metadata.

Maybe I didn't express it very well, or maybe you already answer me and I can't understand it because of my programming ignorance. Sorry about that.
Old 02-24-2014, 06:55 AM   #326
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Hmm... I can use the code to create another column that gets the values from my "word group" column, but what I wanted to do is to automatically add that value to the original Tags column, so I could add it inside the epub as metadata.

Maybe I didn't express it very well, or maybe you already answer me and I can't understand it because of my programming ignorance. Sorry about that.
I can't think of a way to update the tags column like that. But, you could update the tags in the book when sending the book to the device.

The following will return a list like you want.

Code:
program:
list_union(field('tags'), list_re(field('#words'), ',', '.*', ''), ',')
You use this with a plugboard for sending epubs to the device. Put the code into the "Source template" of the plugboard and select "tags" as the "Destination field". And save the plugboard.

When you send the book to the device, the tags in the metadata will be updated. You can also use this for save to disk.

I'm not sure if that is what you want. I'm also not sure if there is any real point doing it. The Kobo devices do not use the tags.
Old 02-24-2014, 07:29 AM   #327
embryo
Fanatic

Quote:
I'm not sure if that is what you want. I'm also not sure if there is any real point doing it. The Kobo devices do not use the tags.
Well, what I'm trying to do is to embed the "book size information", that I get out of word count, to the epub itself, so it is "device independent".
Not a big deal, because I can add that manually.
I was just thinking the "auto way" (lazy?)

Thank you for your help.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:15 AM   #328
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

In that case, the plugboard will work. The version of the book in the calibre library won't have it in the file. But, using send to device or save to disk will update the tags for any reader that does show the tags.

An alternative is to add a jacket. These are added as a page after the cover with a copy of the metadata. I haven't done it, but I believe the template used can be customised to include different metadata fields. For that, have a look at the calibre help, or ask in the calibre forum.
Old 02-24-2014, 09:09 AM   #329
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
In that case, the plugboard will work. The version of the book in the calibre library won't have it in the file. But, using send to device or save to disk will update the tags for any reader that does show the tags.

An alternative is to add a jacket. These are added as a page after the cover with a copy of the metadata. I haven't done it, but I believe the template used can be customised to include different metadata fields. For that, have a look at the calibre help, or ask in the calibre forum.
Yes, it can be totally customized, but you have to add/regenerate it after adding the custom info and before sending it to device.
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:27 PM   #330
inthemood
Zealot
inthemood began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Aura 6", Kobo Forma 32G
Hello,

Is there a way to have the bookshelves (which become "collections" in the Kobo Aura) show up in alphabetical order on the Kobo Aura. When I do it, the order seems totally random, making it hard to search. I use the bookshelf feature in calibre to, in effect, make folders to classify the books by their author.
Thank you.
inthemood is offline   Reply With Quote