Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 01-13-2008, 08:46 PM   #1
JeffASonyReader
Enthusiast
JeffASonyReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Old RSS data on Sony Store

Hi, I noticed the data in the Huffington RSS feeds is old. It had 2 very old articles, one from Jamie Lee Curtis from July of 2007, and another article about 1 year old. I emailed both Huffington and Sony. Sony's response was bland and generic. I checked Huffington's site and her blogs are current. The problem appears to be on Sony's side.

Has anyone else noticed old RSS data? Is this common?
JeffASonyReader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2008, 11:28 PM   #2
crusader666
Enthusiast
crusader666 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505; EB-1150
I've had the Sony 505 since November and noticed the same thing with Sony's so-called RSS feeds. Most are always out of date, so I stopped looking at them about two weeks ago.

Unfortunately, my personal experience with Sony and this particular product has been absolutely horrendous. Many of the links in their bookstore are not correct; the RSS feeds are old; the book fonts are not consistent; the author notification feature didn't work and i had to delete dozens (at Sony's request) and then sign up for all of them again; it takes several weeks for them to "rework" the books that are messed up; customer service via e-mail is slower than the U.S. Postal Service.

Anyhow, I'll be writing a detailed post on my own blog about more of this (and how I finally got Sony's attention and 100% refund on the device and my book purchases). I promise to post a synopsis here once I get the blog article written (sometime this week).
crusader666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2008, 12:59 PM   #3
VikingDave
VikingDave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.VikingDave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.VikingDave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.VikingDave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.VikingDave has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505
Personally, I am very satisfied with the device, but am appalled at how the store is run (Isn't this Sony we're talking about?). I tend to like Sony "style", but have been very disappointed with both their content and conveyance of content in the ebook realm. The RSS is just one example of that unfortunately. If it were not for other formats being available and easily convertible to LRF, I would consider going back for a refund. But as I said, I am very pleased with the device itself, and am content with buying elsewhere and doing a simple conversion process. As long as there are opensource solutions out there that are easily applied, I think pushing for a refund and an apology is a bit overboard - although certainly someone's right.
VikingDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2008, 06:20 PM   #4
JeffASonyReader
Enthusiast
JeffASonyReader began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505
Yea, I agree with you on that, if I was limited to current pickings, I would consider a refund. It's an early adopter device, still. I got the full text articles for the WSJ, Economist and CNN today working, took 40 minutes, but it's ok. I'll just run it while I eat breakfast and shower. It'll be good.

Now I got to figure out how to LRF convert regular sites and add my own RSS feeds.
JeffASonyReader is offline   Reply With Quote