Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-24-2012, 03:38 PM   #31
inkyness
Enthusiast
inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.inkyness ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
That blog always feels so pro-amazon and anti-everyone else, at least from what I've seen of it, that I stopped reading...

Anyway, mine shipped today and is scheduled to arrive on May 1. I'm not at all worried about brightness - my concerns were fuzziness from the extra layer on the screen and battery life (I wonder if they made the battery smaller to reduce weight?). I think it'll be okay, though, as most people seem to describe the extra layer as having a very minor effect, and it's not a huge inconvenience for me to charge the battery more often.
inkyness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 07:54 PM   #32
soondai
Guru
soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soondai ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite
I'm glad this feature was added, but I really need it coupled with the new flexible (nonglass) e-ink screens. If I'm going to be reading in bed, I'll inevitably drop it off the bed or wake up laying on it.

Gonna be very interested to see if Amazon matches this move in the fall.
soondai is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #33
TimW
Wizard
TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TimW ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK3G, KPW1, Sony PRST1, Sony PRS350, iPod Touch 5G
Mike Cane managed to sneak a few pictures. He's not much for rules.
TimW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 08:28 PM   #34
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Engadget has posted a review of the new Nook.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/04/24/n...wlight-review/
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 09:11 PM   #35
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Engadget mentions the anti-glare filter changes the contrast of the screen a little...I want to hear feedback on this.

I really want one of these but I love my NST as it is..not sure it's worth the effort of ebaying/upgrading/etc even if I had the $50-$60 or so to burn like that right now.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-24-2012, 10:13 PM   #36
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
My boss hasn't been interested in any ereader until he heard about the self-lighted models coming out from B&N and Amazon. I think this could be big.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:17 AM   #37
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Engadget mentions the anti-glare filter changes the contrast of the screen a little...I want to hear feedback on this.
Yes, this sounds not so good to me. Here is the section from the review:
"It's hard to say whether it's this added layer or some other bit of hardware, but when placed next to the original Nook with identical pages on the screen, there's significantly less contrast with the text here. The darkness of the e-ink on the new Nook is a bit uneven across the page as well. This is a pretty big bummer -- the crisp contrast of E Ink has long been a selling point of these devoted readers, promising replication closer to physical books than tablets can offer. On the new Nook, the page looks a bit unevenly printed. It's another one of those things you might miss at first glance, but that you can't really un-see once you've had a chance to see the two devices next to each other."

Note it says "significantly less contrast." Yikes!
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 08:33 AM   #38
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Yes, this sounds not so good to me. Here is the section from the review:
"It's hard to say whether it's this added layer or some other bit of hardware, but when placed next to the original Nook with identical pages on the screen, there's significantly less contrast with the text here. The darkness of the e-ink on the new Nook is a bit uneven across the page as well. This is a pretty big bummer -- the crisp contrast of E Ink has long been a selling point of these devoted readers, promising replication closer to physical books than tablets can offer. On the new Nook, the page looks a bit unevenly printed. It's another one of those things you might miss at first glance, but that you can't really un-see once you've had a chance to see the two devices next to each other."

Note it says "significantly less contrast." Yikes!
That is a let down, but I figured that the added layer would affect contrast somewhat. I hope that integrated lights don't become so popular that it will later be impossible to buy new ebook reader models without them.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:19 AM   #39
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
They say significantly less contrast, but at the same time they mention it is really only noticable if you hold the glow light model next to the regular model, but then you can't "unsee" the lower contrast. At least based on their web pictures, it looks like about 20% lower contrast.

Not good, but not the end of the world. I think I'll prefer my current one though until the eink tech improves more, so the reduce contrast is at least made up for by the better screen.

As a note, the screen lighting that whatever company it was was talking about a couple of months ago supposedly does NOT reduce contrast at all even though it is a layer over the whole screen. It also seems like you wouldn't need an anti-glare coating as it works on a light guide principal to evenly illuminate the entire display, unlike B&Ns glowlight tech, which is single edge lit, where the anti glare coating would be needed.

So if B&N, or Amazon or whomever adopts this other lighting system, there may be no reduction in contrast (or there might be, total speculation).

At any rate, I hope improved eInk displays are coming soon, and not just a wave of lighted models.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:03 PM   #40
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
As a note, the screen lighting that whatever company it was was talking about a couple of months ago supposedly does NOT reduce contrast at all even though it is a layer over the whole screen.
I'll believe that when I see it. "Ye canna change the laws of physics, Cap'n!"
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:19 PM   #41
Zimmy
Connoisseur
Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zimmy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I have to admit, I am a Kindle guy but this intrigues me.
But, like others have mentioned, the price point is a little out of whack for basically old hardware with a new feature.
If this was $79, it would be a no brainer.
If they added 3G and a few more h/w upgrades, then maybe the $40 up charge would be easier to swallow.
Me?, I'll wait for Amazon's answer or look for a refurbished model.

It still blows my mind that this light (which was on my geeky calculator wrist watch in the early 80s) is so behind.
I would have thought they would have tackled the issue 2 years ago.
Zimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 03:25 PM   #42
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
It still blows my mind that this light (which was on my geeky calculator wrist watch in the early 80s) is so behind.
I would have thought they would have tackled the issue 2 years ago.
The lighting issue was tackled 3 1/2 years ago with the Sony PRS-700, but it suffered from poor contrast.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:05 PM   #43
Scarpad
Addict
Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Scarpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You gotta figure that the glow light will figure into future iteration of the STR, so I'll simple wait for that.
Scarpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 04:46 PM   #44
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zimmy View Post
If they added 3G and a few more h/w upgrades, then maybe the $40 up charge would be easier to swallow.
What hardware upgrades? I don't see what else the nook could do to make it more appealing; for people who want a no-frills reader with excellent battery life, it's hard to beat. I rather have a simple device for reading that does its job as it is supposed, than a device that attempts to do plenty of stuff and succeeds at none. You know, jack of all trades, master of none...
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 06:58 PM   #45
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by inkyness View Post
That blog always feels so pro-amazon and anti-everyone else, at least from what I've seen of it, that I stopped reading...
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote