Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-14-2011, 01:46 AM   #1
mauvais
mauvais began at the beginning.

Device: none
Breakdown of Kindle use by version?

Hi all;

I searched around the net but couldn't find this information. Is there a breakdown anywhere of Kindle usage by version? (1, 2, 3, etc.) I recently had to convert a book with tables and discovered the problem Kindle 1 has with tables. What I am wondering is whether it is still worth it to code books for the Kindle 1.

Cheers,

... Tod
mauvais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 04:04 AM   #2
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Amazon does not provide sales figures. There were probably more than 0.5M Kindle 1's sold. On January 28, 2010 Amazon said it had sold "millions" of Kindles, most of them Kindle 2's. One analyst estimated 3.3M by April 2010, so there were perhaps 3M Kindle 2's sold. Estimates for all of 2010 range from 5M to 8M, with 8M being more favored. By now there must be at least 10M Kindle 3's.

What is even less certain is how many Kindle 1's are still being actively used.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 07:03 AM   #3
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
There have been 2 versions released since the original Kindle, and there will probably be one released later this year. So I would say that it is not worth coding for the Kindle 1.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:28 AM   #4
mauvais
mauvais began at the beginning.

Device: none
Thanks -- that's where I was headed with this. If the number of K1 users is that small (and I happen to be one of them), then it may not be worth the headache anymore.
mauvais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mauvais
I recently had to convert a book with tables and discovered the problem Kindle 1 has with tables. What I am wondering is whether it is still worth it to code books for the Kindle 1.
To my knowledge, the flavor of mobi that Amazon uses for its ebooks on Kindle devices has not been modified/updated/changed since it's inception (Yes, I know we're starting to see enhanced mobi's for the Kindle applications). Tables have always had very limited functionality (it's best used to present simple tabular data, not to be used for layout formatting). That still applies to K3's as equally as it did to K1's. There's been no change on that front.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 07-14-2011 at 09:41 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-14-2011, 01:18 PM   #6
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
My family still uses 2 Kindle 1s every day.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote