Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 06-16-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Samsung Galaxy Tab, Kobo Glo, Kobo Mini
Anyone else experiencing screen issues on Kobo Touch?

My hubby bought me the touch last weekend as a supplement to my Sony 505 A very happy surprise. I was really enjoying playing with my new toy. Then, all of a sudden yesterday afternoon, half of the screen started to have lines etched across it. It basically rendered the text on the lower half fo the screen almost unreadable.

I am hoping it is just a one-off defect and that others aren't being plagued by it. Luckily, I am still within the return period and will just run it back to Indigo and exchange it...but I know people are coming here to research it before they buy and I wanted to see if I was alone or if it is widespread to help people who are trying to make a decision.
khourianya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 11:52 AM   #2
Joe563
Never spit into the wind.
Joe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenJoe563 has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch, Kobo Android(smartphone & tablet)
Quote:
Originally Posted by khourianya View Post
My hubby bought me the touch last weekend as a supplement to my Sony 505 A very happy surprise. I was really enjoying playing with my new toy. Then, all of a sudden yesterday afternoon, half of the screen started to have lines etched across it. It basically rendered the text on the lower half fo the screen almost unreadable.

I am hoping it is just a one-off defect and that others aren't being plagued by it. Luckily, I am still within the return period and will just run it back to Indigo and exchange it...but I know people are coming here to research it before they buy and I wanted to see if I was alone or if it is widespread to help people who are trying to make a decision.
I had a situation where one page was partially blank when I turned the page and the text on the remainder of the page was broken up. Paging forward and then back fixed the problem. My explanation of the problem is that it was due to the new type of page turn introduced with the Kobo Touch where pages are only fully refreshed about once every six pages.

Was the problem you described confined to one page or did it span multiple pages? A problem that spans many pages could indicate a hardware problem.
Joe563 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 12:03 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Can you post a photograph showing the appearance of the screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:10 PM   #4
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Lenovo K1
i think someone else had a similar problem and a picture was posted, wish i could find the thread easily.
with the way kobo customer service is you can go to chapters and they'll replace it for you if it's something that happens frequently. even if the page forward / back fixes it i don't think ghosting should be that noticeable.
siraks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #5
khourianya
TechnoBookworm
khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.khourianya knows the square root of minus one.

I just uploaded a couple of photos...

It's defintiely not a ghosting issue...it affects the screen no matter what. I'm just going to box it up tonight and return it. I love the device and if this isn't a widespread defect - I still want to have one!
Advert
Old 06-16-2011, 12:28 PM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Thanks. I thought you might have broken the screen substrate, but that's not a broken substrate - looks like an issue with the controller electronics. I wouldn't have thought you'd have any problem getting it replaced.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #7
khourianya
TechnoBookworm

I haven't tried returning it yet. I just wanted to post here in case it's a widespread issue. If it is something that will affect replacement reader after replacement reader, then I might hesitate on even getting it replaced and just get our money back...

If it's a rare issue then I'm not going to be too concerned about just swapping it pout for a different reader. Hmmm...maybe this will be my chance to gett he black one (they were out when Hubby picked this up)
Old 06-16-2011, 12:43 PM   #8
siraks
use the force
siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.siraks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Hmmm...maybe this will be my chance to gett he black one (they were out when Hubby picked this up)
haha i want to switch my black one out for a white one (all white or silver back) .
nothing wrong with mine just found i'm not liking the black as much, i think the finger prints / smudge marks on the sides is what's bothering me.

you shouldn't have any problems especially because it hasn't been a week yet. they'll swap the device for you. at worst just do a return and a new purchase, you have 14 days with electronics - i think that's what it states on the back of the receipt.
Old 06-16-2011, 12:52 PM   #9
khourianya
TechnoBookworm

ah - that's the kicker with the Kobos...they only do return for refund if the box is unopened! Hubby could only get me the white/lilac and I ended up sitting with it on my lap for almost an hour, debating wheter I wanted to return it for theblack or not. In the end - I just wanted to play.

Wow - I hadn't thought about he fingerprints issue for the black. You may have a good point for my keeping to a white one. Fingerprints drive me BONKERS!!! and this is a think i will be looking at for hours every day! I think my biggest concern about the white is always wondering if it is going to yellow as it ages....when it was my sony, I never had this worry. Silver doesn't yellow :P
Old 06-16-2011, 01:06 PM   #10
siraks
use the force

Quote:
ah - that's the kicker with the Kobos...they only do return for refund if the box is unopened!
i'll have to look at the receipt when i get home but i think it states on the back that if you are unsatisfied with your purchase you can return it within 14 days for a full refund...
will have to look at the rest of it to see if it says anything about being opened.
Old 06-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #11
khourianya
TechnoBookworm

This is what it says on the website:

Kobo eReaders

Kobo eReaders must be returned to one of our Chapters, Indigo or Coles stores.

Kobo eReaders must be returned in its original unopened packaging. Store purchases can be returned within 14 days of purchase. If the Kobo eReader was purchased Online or using one of our Store Kiosks you can return it up to 30 days from shipment date. For Indigo's complete returns Policy click here.

If your Kobo eReader is defective you can return it to the store and store the will provide you with a new Kobo eReader or order a replacement for you.

http://help.indigo.ca/app/answers/de.../181/related/1
Old 06-16-2011, 02:02 PM   #12
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Someone else posted a picture of what seems to be a similar issue:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...2&postcount=16
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #13
Byron4120
Enthusiast
Byron4120 began at the beginning.

Device: KOBO Touch
Did you try the factory reset?
Byron4120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 06:24 PM   #14
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
I would suggest getting in touch with Kobo directly through their support (either on the web or via phone). Stores DO seem to be short of units right now!
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2011, 07:57 PM   #15
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Wow - I hadn't thought about he fingerprints issue for the black. You may have a good point for my keeping to a white one. Fingerprints drive me BONKERS!!!
In that case DO NOT EVER get the current BLACK touch. Fingerprints don't really bother me, but with the new rubberized surface on the front of the black KT every touch leaves a fingerprint and there's no easy way to wipe them off.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote