Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 05-25-2011, 05:51 PM   #1
SilentDuck
SilentDuck began at the beginning.

Device: none
Pre-ordering Nook Simple Touch or Kobo Touch?

This may be an annoying question, as I know both of these were only just announced and nobody actually has any experience with them, but I was planning on buying myself an e reader for my birthday, and this seems like perfect timing to get one that is brand new. I would like to pre-order one this week, as I know if I don't I will end up spending the money on something stupid, like bills.

I don't know much about ereaders, in fact I'm kind of clueless and lost looking at the specs and information, so I thought I would ask here to see if members here, who actually have experience with ereaders and know what they are talking about, have any advice. Based on what you've seen and heard so far about the Nook Simple Touch and Kobo Touch, as well as your experiences with these companies and ereaders in the past, which do you think would be the best bet?

I really just want an ereader that allows me to read epub files comfortably. PDF support so that I can use it to read work files on the go would be nice, but is not necessary. I'm mainly just going to use it for pleasure reading.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.
SilentDuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 06:19 PM   #2
faithbw
Guru
faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.faithbw ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Mini 2
I own a nook and I like it. I think one of the best aspects of the nook is the customer service. My first nook died a day after I got it (the e-ink screen stopped working) and when I returned it the store the next day, the staff was very helpful and got me a nook immediately.

The nook works rather well for me. It reads epubs not only from B&N but from other bookstores as well as the library. The nook can read PDF files but I don't think it reflows them very well. I'm not sure if the new nook will be better in that regard.

The battery life was fine for me (about 4-5 days without wifi turned before charging again). However, the new nook will have significantly better battery life.
faithbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 06:22 PM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
I'd say Nook over Kobo, but i want to look at the kTouch again before my final recommendation.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:21 PM   #4
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
I'd say Nook over Kobo 'cos Nook has five buttons over Kobo's one button. I know they're both touch, but it's nice to have buttons too (I have a Sony 650 so I know).

Saying that, if all you want to do is turn pages, then maybe the Kobo is good for your needs.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:23 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have a 650 and the buttons don't really make much difference. What makes the difference is the firmware/ADE and you won't know until both are released and you can get reviews.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-25-2011, 09:33 PM   #6
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome SilentDuck!

I assume you are in the US. B&N does not serve Canada, while Kobo serves Canada very well.

I would suggest that you study the specs, and choose the device which turns the pages more quickly.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2011, 09:56 PM   #7
LucidDreams
Tech Reader
LucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it isLucidDreams knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader Pocket Edition PRS-350
I would favor the new Nook over the Kobo Touch. But I would wait until you can physically check them out at a store before making a purchase. More so since Kobo nor Nook have done a eInk touch screen before so you want to make sure the UI and touch feel works as you would hope (like on the Sony eReaders).
LucidDreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 09:25 AM   #8
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDuck View Post

I really just want an ereader that allows me to read epub files comfortably. ...
IMO, the Nook would be the better choice. It gives you more choices to pick how you want the page to appear (margins, line spacing, ...). Plus it has the page turn buttons.

My knowledge of both is very limited; I've only fiddled with the older models in stores.

I wish that they both offered more options: more font size choices (let the user pick any point size), spacing between paragraphs, indent of paragraphs, margins, headers or footers, ...
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:03 AM   #9
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
I would put the money in a sock for a month, and then go look at them at B&N and Borders. The specs are very similar, and there are some small advantages and disadvantages to either. I think it would come down to which one calls out to you when you hold it in your hand. (One of them clearly calls out to me more than the other when I look at the pictures.)

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 10:16 AM   #10
jtdolphins
Zealot
jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jtdolphins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipod touch, Kindle3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I have a 650 and the buttons don't really make much difference. What makes the difference is the firmware/ADE and you won't know until both are released and you can get reviews.
I am waiting for the reviews of the firmware and the chance to hold the new nook. I don't like the look of it, but that won't tell me how it feels in my hands. My ipod has one button and I never saw a need for more.

Having used the Kobo wifi for a month, I loved it but the firmware wasn't the best. Holding it in my hands was very comfortable and I liked the quilted back. The page turning was slow, even after using it for awhile I still noticed it.

I returned it because I wanted a dictionary feature on all books. Never liked the current nook, but I have to say customer service at B&N has always been good for me.

Ignore the hype and wait for the reviews.
jtdolphins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:10 PM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtdolphins View Post
Ignore the hype and wait for the reviews.
Yes, exactly. And one rule that's good to know/remember is.. when you buy a reader, buy it as thought he firmware on it is all you'll be getting. So don't buy a reader expecting an update. Kobo has had updates and yet they never did fix some major bugs.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
also to add to what JSWolf and jtdolphin has said Read multiple reviews from the mainstream such as Cnet, Engadget etc to some lesser known ones as well. My personal favorite reviewer of tech gadgets is actually a member here, Lisa from Mobiletechreview.com. The most unbiased reviews you'll find.

and after all that reading etc. head down to your local stores and play with them see how they feel, how you like how they handle etc. How do you like the user interface. And give them quality time.

and then go from there.

Last edited by boswd; 05-26-2011 at 04:28 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:25 PM   #13
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentDuck View Post
This may be an annoying question, as I know both of these were only just announced and nobody actually has any experience with them, but I was planning on buying myself an e reader for my birthday, and this seems like perfect timing to get one that is brand new. I would like to pre-order one this week, as I know if I don't I will end up spending the money on something stupid, like bills.

I don't know much about ereaders, in fact I'm kind of clueless and lost looking at the specs and information, so I thought I would ask here to see if members here, who actually have experience with ereaders and know what they are talking about, have any advice. Based on what you've seen and heard so far about the Nook Simple Touch and Kobo Touch, as well as your experiences with these companies and ereaders in the past, which do you think would be the best bet?

I really just want an ereader that allows me to read epub files comfortably. PDF support so that I can use it to read work files on the go would be nice, but is not necessary. I'm mainly just going to use it for pleasure reading.

Thank you in advance for any advice you can give.
Wait and do not buy yet!

I think you should get real advices from real people (not paid companies) in order to get a better and final idea of how they work.

But, just comparing those two, without knowing what you like to read or where you live, I would say Nook, because B&N bookstore, I think is better than Kobo's. But that could change depending of if you live outside of USA or the type of titles you like and read.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:27 PM   #14
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
IMO, the Nook would be the better choice. It gives you more choices to pick how you want the page to appear (margins, line spacing, ...). .
Initially was considering the Kobo for Android app (NOOKcolor) and the Kobo Touch as a complement. Quite surprised the app doesn't have adjustments for margins, line spacing, and background color. Kobo Touch is missing what I consider to be standard features (change of background color not applicable of course). Those are my reasons for going with the NOOK for Android app and NOOK Touch.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2011, 04:37 PM   #15
Red Alert
Zealot
Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Red Alert ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: NookColor & Nook Tablet. Sony PRS-505 loaned to brother.
If you are near a B&N store, that might sway your purchase. Having a support staff close at home would cause me to choose the Nook. I'm happy with my Nookcolor and the support the folks at B&N have provided. I would reasonably expect similar support on the new Nook.
Red Alert is offline   Reply With Quote