Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 10:11 PM   #1
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Reading on Android

I have the good fortune to be able to share with you not 1, but 2 articles on Android reading apps. One was written by Carly of GearDiary, and I wrote the other (as part of my review of the Archos 5). You should read them both. Carly and I came to different conclusions on some of the apps.

eBook Reading Options for Android (Gear Diary)

Reading on an Android Tablet, pt 1 (Nate's Ebook News)
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 01:26 AM   #2
LDBoblo
Wizard
LDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcoverLDBoblo exercises by bench pressing the entire Harry Potter series in hardcover

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I have the good fortune to be able to share with you not 1, but 2 articles on Android reading apps. One was written by Carly of GearDiary, and I wrote the other (as part of my review of the Archos 5). You should read them both. Carly and I came to different conclusions on some of the apps.

eBook Reading Options for Android (Gear Diary)

Reading on an Android Tablet, pt 1 (Nate's Ebook News)
My guess is that if I'm going to get a tablet in the next year, it'll probably be Android-based.

Any suggestions for a PDF reader for those of us who are type snobs?
LDBoblo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:21 AM   #3
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Aldiko is really the only decent ebook app on Android. I wish there was more development in this area. But as it stands, Aldiko is pretty good and since I don't buy anything I can't strip the DRM from, the lack of DRM support is a non-issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDBoblo View Post
My guess is that if I'm going to get a tablet in the next year, it'll probably be Android-based.

Any suggestions for a PDF reader for those of us who are type snobs?
QuickView, which comes already bundled with Android, supports PDF. It's probably not the best out there but it works for me since I try to avoid PDFs on my phone. There's a version of Repligo for Android that is supposed to be pretty good. It has good reviews in the Market but it's a paid app and I haven't taken the plunge of buying an Android app, yet. There are too many good freebies.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 07:40 AM   #4
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Toshiba Thrive, Kobo Touch, Kindle 1, Aluratek Libre, T-Mobile Comet
I prefer FBReader, for reasons I give on Nate's site. EReader also has some neat features like integrated dictionary lookup and annotation.
luqmaninbmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 10:42 AM   #5
Crowl
Wizard
Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Crowl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, PW Signature edition
With android looking like it will be commonly used on a lot of tablets this year here's hoping that a new reader or one of the existing ones gets updated to include support for files with drm.

While most of us don't like drm, its not going anywhere just yet so allowing the general public to access such content as easily as possible has to be a good thing for the platform as a whole.
Crowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 11:23 AM   #6
luqmaninbmore
Da'i
luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.luqmaninbmore ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowl View Post
With android looking like it will be commonly used on a lot of tablets this year here's hoping that a new reader or one of the existing ones gets updated to include support for files with drm.

While most of us don't like drm, its not going anywhere just yet so allowing the general public to access such content as easily as possible has to be a good thing for the platform as a whole.
EReader and Shortcovers (now kokobooks) are both DRMed EBook options for Android.

Luqman
Old 03-05-2010, 11:32 AM   #7
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
EReader and Shortcovers (now kokobooks) are both DRMed EBook options for Android.

Luqman
I dont think the old version of Shortcovers supports DRM.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
luqmaninbmore
Da'i

Quote:
It supports whatever custom DRM it is that Shortcovers uses. Most books can be viewed in the shortcovers format on the Android device and can be downloaded as Adobe DRMed EPub. In short, it won't let you read DRMed books bought from other providers but it will give you access to recent, copyrighted releases and allow you to read the books purchased from them on other Adobe compatible devices.
Old 03-05-2010, 08:26 PM   #9
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
I prefer FBreader just because it shows the bar at the top with time/battery status, etc. since I no longer wear a watch in my retirement. However Aldiko is also very good.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2010, 06:36 PM   #10
questionfear
Connoisseur
questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.questionfear once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by luqmaninbmore View Post
It supports whatever custom DRM it is that Shortcovers uses. Most books can be viewed in the shortcovers format on the Android device and can be downloaded as Adobe DRMed EPub. In short, it won't let you read DRMed books bought from other providers but it will give you access to recent, copyrighted releases and allow you to read the books purchased from them on other Adobe compatible devices.
Shortcovers supports Adobe DRM, but since you can't download the books onto your Android device it's debatable where to count it.

Frankly (and I said this in the Gear Diary review) Shortcovers is an awful, terrible, nasty application that should not be used unless you are wildly desperate.

Kobo says they know it sucks and they'll have a new version out in a few months. Hopefully it's light years better.

-Carly Z
questionfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 04:49 PM   #11
fisher
fisher began at the beginning.

Device: many
So, can i buy epub ebooks from waterstones, borders, foyles and read them on android in anyway?

Ereader?
fisher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2010, 05:01 PM   #12
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by fisher View Post
So, can i buy epub ebooks from waterstones, borders, foyles and read them on android in anyway?
Not without removing the DRM.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 12:05 AM   #13
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
Has anyone tried coolreader for android
http://code.google.com/p/coolreader/
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 02:07 AM   #14
SpiderMatt
Grand Arbiter
SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SpiderMatt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Amazon Kindle, Motorola Droid
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dopedangel View Post
Has anyone tried coolreader for android
http://code.google.com/p/coolreader/
I can't figure it out because all the menus are in Chinese. It's not opening any of my books.
SpiderMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2010, 08:37 AM   #15
disney_mommy
Ebook fanatic
disney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windowsdisney_mommy format shifts faster than booting Windows

Device: Kindle Fire HD 8.9, Kindle Keyboard
Has there been any word on an Amazon Kindle app for android?
disney_mommy is offline   Reply With Quote