Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > Other formats > LRF

Notices

Old 02-24-2009, 06:38 PM   #1
the7gerbers
Connoisseur
the7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litterthe7gerbers doesn't litter

Device: Kindles (Fire HD, Fire, Paperwhite) iPhone
problems w/ HTML to LRF

I am sure this must be a simple problem with someone else with more expertise, so I will appeal to you folks for help.

I would like to convert some great children's books from gutenberg to the format for my Sony 505, but no matter what tool I use: calibre, the sony software, or book designer, I never end up with a file that preserves the images. They are not large. Here's is one that I am trying to do:

http://www.gutenberg.org/etext/28135

I downloaded the html file, but no images after conversion, no matter what I do. Other similar files, same problem. I would think it could be done, right?

Any help appreciated. BookDesigner, by the way, wouldn't even let me get to square one...error message. I do have a trial version of Word installed on my PC.

Thanks for the help.
the7gerbers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2009, 07:10 PM   #2
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

Hey!!!

I think I figured this out, but I'd love to hear an opinion from an expert. I was previously saving the files by right clicking on the link to the file from the book's main page and choosing "save as" **But** then I tried going ahead and opening the link and saving the page from the file menu, after I already had it up on my screen (make sense?). Those files that I saved that way worked!! Yeah!!!

Now. If I only knew why?!? :-)
Advert
Old 02-24-2009, 09:40 PM   #3
ChelC
Enthusiast
ChelC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
Ha! I had the exact question. I want the Gutenberg # 18442 Fifty Famous Stories Retold. I didn't get the illustrations. Could you tell me step by step how you did it? I don't have a clue what I'm doing, i just barely got my reader.
ChelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 08:24 AM   #4
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

Well, definitely NOT an expert, but here goes.

Originally, I thought I just had to go to the page at gutenburg and right click on the one I wanted and "save as". That left me with a file that ended up image free. So, finally, I thought to do this instead (btw, I am using Firefox, don't know if that matters):

1. Go to the Gutenberg page and go all the way to the version I want, so I am actually looking at the book in my browser.
2. At the top of my browser go to File > Save Page As and then save it as "Web Page Complete" in whatever location you like, giving it a more descriptive name than those numbers from gutenberg. I keep a folder on my desktop that I call "eBook source files" and I put every thing I download in there.
3. Then, I used calibre (a very wonderful management program, have you seen it?) to convert the html to lrf. It worked like a charm.

Just in case you can't quite figure it out yet, I have gone ahead and converted it for you and attached it to this post. I will also post it in the correct section for sony book uploads. I have actually used that book in the past for my kids school! Only then I was printing it out!

Hope that helps! Feel free to ask more if I did not explain well! I am a newbie, too. Which model do you have? I have a 505, but am interested in a 700.
Attached Files
File Type: lrf Fifty Famous Stories Retold - James Baldwin.lrf (1.68 MB, 551 views)

Last edited by the7gerbers; 02-25-2009 at 08:26 AM.
Old 02-25-2009, 11:47 AM   #5
ChelC
Enthusiast
ChelC began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 700
That helps a bunch. Thank you so much! We are using it for school too, btw. I have the 700. I debated for a while, because the clarity is so much better on the 505, but I chose the 700 mostly so that I can make notes to myself and my kids in the school texts, and I liked the navigation a little better. Other than that, the touch screen is kind of a nuisance.
ChelC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-25-2009, 12:04 PM   #6
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChelC View Post
That helps a bunch. Thank you so much! We are using it for school too, btw. I have the 700. I debated for a while, because the clarity is so much better on the 505, but I chose the 700 mostly so that I can make notes to myself and my kids in the school texts, and I liked the navigation a little better. Other than that, the touch screen is kind of a nuisance.
Do you homeschool ChelC? We do. I'd be interested in conversing with you about how you use the reader/ebooks in your school. If you want to email me, you can at the7gerbers (at) earthlink (dot) net. I won't take too much of your time!
Old 02-25-2009, 12:05 PM   #7
DixieGal
Hi There!
DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DixieGal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Thanks! This is news I can use!
DixieGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 PM   #8
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
If you are using Internet Explorer, you need to select the "Web Page (Complete)" save option. That will save both the HTML book itself and, in a separate folder, any images used by the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #9
the7gerbers
Connoisseur

Thanks, Harry. That makes sense now!