Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 AM   #31
K. Molen
Addict
K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.K. Molen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, iPad 3, Nexus 10, Nexus 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Perhaps things are different in the part of the US you are in, but in Chicago there is nothing wrong with asking for a bread roll.
Likewise for Canada.
K. Molen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:53 AM   #32
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Same in Texas.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:28 AM   #33
5thWiggle
Benevolent Evil Lord
5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.5thWiggle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Note 8.0, Galaxy Note, iPad Mini, PocketEdge(retired)
Bread was a rock band from Los Angeles, California. They placed 13 songs on the Billboard Hot 100 chart between 1970 and 1977 and were a prime example of what later was labeled soft rock. - oops, wrong definition.

Bread is a staple food prepared by cooking a dough of flour and water and often additional ingredients. - no mention of shape or size

A bread roll is a piece of bread, usually small and round and is commonly considered a side dish. Bread rolls are often used in the same way as sandwiches are—cut transversely, with fillings placed between the two halves. - Aha! Size and shape and use.

Also, bread roll allows for disambiguation. Otherwise you may be asking for:

a Cabbage roll
a sausage roll
an Egg roll
a Spring roll
a Meat roll
a roll in the hay

Depending in the place and situation, asking for a roll may get you something entirely different (including a possible slap in the face).
5thWiggle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 AM   #34
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
I usually just prop my Kindle up against the napkin holder. Or, if I'm eating in the kitchen for whatever reason, I'll stand it up on the bread box.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:47 AM   #35
Witty Username
Addict
Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Witty Username ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, Kobo Touch, Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by RainingLemur View Post
Or, if I'm eating in the kitchen for whatever reason, I'll stand it up on the bread box.
Would the 'bread box' contain rolls of any kind?
Witty Username is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:52 AM   #36
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
I don't have an "eating table". I eat from a tray in my reading chair.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:55 AM   #37
DustyDisks
Old Fart In Training
DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DustyDisks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3+3g/KFHD 7"/Nexus 7/Nexus 7.2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Witty Username View Post
Would the 'bread box' contain rolls of any kind?
Of course, if there is room for them. If not, they maybe stored in the frig, or a handy drawer.
DustyDisks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 01:04 PM   #38
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
I have a Post-It tape flag dispenser on my desk at work that has a bit of a slant on the top -- I use that to prop up my reader while I'm eating lunch.

When I'm at home, I either use my napkin holder or I take one of my cloth placemats, roll it up, and set my reader on that. I don't need the book propped up very much -- just enough so that the glare from the light is gone.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:03 PM   #39
piper28
Zealot
piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piper28 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by Format C: View Post
Don't read while you eat!

Oh my!
I hardly imagine how sad would it be...

And I heard about barbarians who even turn on their TV set.......

I've been known to watch tv while I read and eat, all at the same time . Sprawled out on the living room floor, who needs such things as tables and chairs?
piper28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 03:21 PM   #40
unkilbeeg
Enthusiast
unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!unkilbeeg My eyes! My eyes! The light is just too bright!

Device: Sony PRS-500/Astak EZReader 5"/PocketBook 360/Kindle
I don't require a lot of elevation, but flat isn't as comfortable as some elavation. I usually have a rubberized thumb drive in my pocket, and it's big enough to lift one end slightly. And it doesn't slip around, which has been a problem with some of my other ad hoc solutions.
unkilbeeg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:04 PM   #41
Joykins
Wizard
Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joykins ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle Oasis 2018, kindle 4 NT, kindle PW2, iPhone, iPad mini
re: rule about not reading at the table when others are eating with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by James_Wilde View Post
Does that also apply to eating, say, lunch at restaurants and sharing the table with strangers?
It doesn't apply to sharing the table with total strangersn who just happen to be there, but I will not read at the table when out with people I know. I don't get out with friends enough to ignore them when I do it.
Joykins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:25 PM   #42
cpegg
Enthusiast
cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cpegg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura H2O (first edition), Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Just for clarity sake for those outside the UK. It's a roll. Bread is not a roll. So its not a bread roll. It's either a roll or bread. But not both at the same time.
He might need to give his reader a wipe-down after propping it against a sushi roll.
cpegg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:42 PM   #43
vxf
Guru
vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vxf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 350, 900, 950; Kindles (ALL of them!); Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
In a restaurant, I've been known to prop my NC up against that little ceramic box that holds packets of sugar and sweetener.

LOL

That'e exactly what I have been doing.
At the thai restaurant across my office they asked me to stop, because it bends the corners of the packets out of shape. Well, I guess that's more because of my iPad, which is heaving than my Kindle. They actually remove them from my table when I sit down.

But, as soon as they take the order, I lean to the next table and grab one. I get some hateful looks from the old lady that owns the place, but I stare at the screen and pretend not to notice.
vxf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:58 PM   #44
WT Sharpe
Bah, humbug!
WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WT Sharpe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, iPad Pro, & a Samsung Galaxy S9.
The ultra-silly looking Book Beanies work great. I had one, but our dog Crystal ate it. If you want one, you can order direct from the site or from Amazon.

Here's a page showing all of their 11 styles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Lilacblooms-smile150web500x.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	10.1 KB
ID:	93881   Click image for larger version

Name:	stripes-smile-web500x500.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	5.9 KB
ID:	93882   Click image for larger version

Name:	Midnight-smile150web500x500.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	6.8 KB
ID:	93883  
WT Sharpe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:06 PM   #45
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by WT Sharpe View Post
The ultra-silly looking Book Beanies work great. I had one, but our dog Crystal ate it. If you want one, you can order direct from the site or from Amazon.
"It's LOVEABLE"!!1eleven!!11!

*bookmarks and adds to Christmas wish list*
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote