Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-28-2012, 08:46 AM   #61
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
The idea of using the Glowlight with the light always on (low usually), to help the contrast even in a normally lit room, is interesting. However, one does worry about its impact on battery life. I could easily see how instead of doing the reading light dance as described by cpegg, which I also perform each time I read, it might be good to just have normal non-reading illumination in a room (or during the daytime) but then use the glow light on the device as the added light for reading. But again, what will this do to battery life...
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 08:47 PM   #62
techiegirl
Groupie
techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.techiegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, iPad Mini, iPhone 6+
I picked mine up at the store on Friday and have used it for 2 days already. Coming from the Kindle Touch, I am happy with the GlowLight. I have no problems with the contrast and find it much easier reading at night.
techiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2012, 11:58 PM   #63
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
I gave into temptation and ordered one. Really looking forward to it!

Maybe I was obligated to get one, since I go by the nick 'glow'.

Last edited by glow; 04-30-2012 at 12:23 AM.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:17 AM   #64
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
My new nook arrives on Wednesday. I agree with the other posters that it would be nice if they had bumped up resolution and contrast. I think the problem is with only one eink company there is no competition and they haven't had enough motivation to really improve the tech in a timely manner. By now we should have seen more higher res displays with much better contrast and color eink should be standard. There is just not enough reason to keep Eink innovating. I hope that the decline in eink reader sales will at least push them harder, I want to see something besides pearl on the next kindle. In the mean time I am excited to get this nook glow. I always felt like the nook and the kindle need bright light to shine. But that's not my ideal reading conditions.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:27 PM   #65
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
I think soon we may see improved displays. Eink had a huge hit to earnings (IE big loss) this past quarter/year. I think they are going to want to drop something that is going to allow them to charge eInk reader manufacturers mroe.

Honestly, I have been wondering if we'd get to a point where most manufacturers had an entry level and an upmarket eReader. Amazon has sort of done this dance. With the 2nd and 3rd gen at least it was screen size. Now it is between the touch and the non-touch screen.

I wonder if the next generation is going to have an option of "just a plain eInk Pearl" screen, or one with a nicely improved one. Frankly I think it is nice to have options. Personally I'd pay at least $10 more for a better screen, even if the improvements weren't drastic, but just a small maybe 10-20% increase in resolution and 25% or so in contrast. I'd deffinitely pay at least $20-30 more if you increased resolution 25% or more, contrast by 50% or more and at least doubled the number of grey shades.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 01:29 PM   #66
mickeymammoth
mickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Forma
I decided to return the new Nook glow. Compared to my non-touch Kindle 3, the contrast was noticeably worse, to such an extent that it was much less readable. (As far as I can tell, the Kindle 3 and Kindle touch have the same contrast). The glow light was neat, but readability is #1. Also, being new to the Nook, I was very annoyed by the 240 MB ghetto available for side-loaded content, requiring you to use a memory card; the horrible categorizing feature (no way to see what books aren't "shelved"; no way to shelve a book from the book itself); and lack of web browser, so I can't browse to my calibre library.
mickeymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2012, 09:58 PM   #67
Rocketime
Zealot
Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Rocketime has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle/Nook Color/NST/Acer Iconica
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickeymammoth View Post
I decided to return the new Nook glow. Compared to my non-touch Kindle 3, the contrast was noticeably worse, to such an extent that it was much less readable. (As far as I can tell, the Kindle 3 and Kindle touch have the same contrast). The glow light was neat, but readability is #1. Also, being new to the Nook, I was very annoyed by the 240 MB ghetto available for side-loaded content, requiring you to use a memory card; the horrible categorizing feature (no way to see what books aren't "shelved"; no way to shelve a book from the book itself); and lack of web browser, so I can't browse to my calibre library.
And you didn't know this about the Nook before you bought it? There have only been a few hundred posts about these features on this very board.

I think I smell a Kindle troll!!
Rocketime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 03:43 AM   #68
nremondelli
Zealot
nremondelli is on a distinguished road

Device: none
Mine came yesterday. I haven't played with it too much, but my initial impressions from the store were far exceeded when I powered mine up. The contrast isn't nearly as significant as I experienced/perceived at the store. Glolight works very well and is extremely readable. Keep in mind I'm coming from a Kindle Touch.
nremondelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 04:38 AM   #69
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
The contrast isn't nearly as significant as I experienced/perceived at the store.
Could you expand on this? Is it the contrast degradation that is less that perceived or is it the actual contrast?
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:35 AM   #70
nremondelli
Zealot

I think I'm missing a word. If you read my previous post, in the store I noticed or perceived significant degrigation in quality of e-ink. When mine arrived yesterday, I was pleasantly surprised. Much better contrast and sharpness than I experienced.

I'm going to give it a few days and then finalize my impressions. If I put my KT up for sale, you'll know how I feel!
Old 05-01-2012, 06:36 AM   #71
nremondelli
Zealot

Quote:
the horrible categorizing feature (no way to see what books aren't "shelved"; no way to shelve a book from the book itself); and lack of web browser, so I can't browse to my calibre library.
You can say a lot of great things about the Kindle. Being a loooong time Kindle owner, the Nook's UInis far superior.
Old 05-01-2012, 07:15 AM   #72
Asawi
Gadgetoholic
Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Asawi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2, Tolino Vision 6
Thanks for clarifiaction Nremindelli! I am looking forward to more reports after you've had more time to use it!
Asawi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 09:28 AM   #73
haydnfan
Guru
haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.haydnfan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 4, Oasis 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by nremondelli View Post
You can say a lot of great things about the Kindle. Being a loooong time Kindle owner, the Nook's UInis far superior.
I think I agree but would change "far superior" to "slightly better." The thing is that there really isn't anything really distinctive to set the two players apart. Amazon and BN both copy from each other for the most successful parts. Whenever someone has an edge in one way, it is only temporary.
haydnfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 11:26 AM   #74
mickeymammoth
mickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercisemickeymammoth juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocketime View Post
And you didn't know this about the Nook before you bought it? There have only been a few hundred posts about these features on this very board.
It was the bad contrast I didn't like. BUT, it didn't help that there were these other annoyances. I didn't do a ton of research on the Nook before I bought it; I assumed it had similar overall features to the other major brand readers I've used. And it does, with the caveats I noted. Although there may have been threads about these drawbacks, it's not like they're front and center. And knowing I could easily return it if I didn't like it meant I could explore the Nook in person, which is always best.

Plus, why are you assuming I'm a Kindle troll? Just because I'm complaining about things other Nook owners also complain about? Since there are probably a bunch of Kindle and non-Nook owners interested in the Nook glow, I thought this assessment would be useful for those people.

Ultimately, I'm glad there's ereader competition. That said, the whole industry is going much slower than I would have liked. I've been in this game since 2006, and it's just been incremental upgrades.
mickeymammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #75
Tony1988
Guru
Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tony1988 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony prs-350
Quote:
That said, the whole industry is going much slower than I would have liked. I've been in this game since 2006, and it's just been incremental upgrades.

I hear this complaint often. But seriously what kind of major upgrades do people expect from a device, which its main feature is to mimick a paper book??? Contrast even before pearl screens was more than enough for text.

I often find it silly that so many people are concerned about contrast when it concerns black and white text or how to organize books etc. The fact that I can put hundreds or thousands of paper books on one little device that micks paper is a major selling point for me.(sd card or not doesnt matter) I really do not see the need for much more than that.

I checked out the Nook Glow and its contrast is just as good as paper text. Far as I am concerned as long as it readable there should be no complaints about this sort of thing.

Last edited by Tony1988; 05-01-2012 at 02:18 PM.
Tony1988 is offline   Reply With Quote