Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 07-06-2010, 06:42 AM   #1
ChrisDolley
Author
ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Device: none
French Fried: A Year in Provence with Miss Marple and Gerald Durrell

BVC have just released my memoir, French Fried

Animals behaving badly, other people's misfortunes and the most bizarre true crime story ever. French Fried is the unfortunately true account of Chris Dolley’s first eight months in France and has been described as ‘A Year in Provence with Miss Marple and Gerald Durrell.’

Just when Chris and Shelagh think nothing more could possibly go wrong, they discover that Chris’s identity has been stolen and their life savings – all the money from their house sale in England that was going to finance their new life in France – had disappeared. A bank account had been opened in Chris’s name in Spain to take the proceeds.

Then they’re abandoned by the police forces of four countries who all insist the crime belongs in someone else's jurisdiction. The French say it’s an Irish crime as that’s where the money was held. The Irish say it’s French as that’s where all the correspondence came from. The British say it’s nothing to do with them even though forged British passports were used to open the bank account in Spain. And the Spanish are on holiday – and can’t even think about investigating any bank account for at least four weeks.

So Chris has to solve the crime himself. But unlike fictional detectives he has an 80 year-old mother-in-law and an excitable puppy who insist they come along if he's going anywhere interesting - like a stakeout.

Available (DRM-free) in the following formats: PDF, ePub, Kindle, lit, lrf, prc for $3.99 from:

Book View Café

Amazon

Smashwords
ChrisDolley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 5; PW3; Nook HD+; ChuWi Hi12; iPad
Damnit Chris! I may have to actually pay for something at Smashwords!
Lemurion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:38 PM   #3
dadioflex
Dyslexic Count
dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dadioflex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, Advent Vega, iPad, iPod Touch, Kindle
Edit.

Last edited by dadioflex; 12-15-2010 at 05:18 PM.
dadioflex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 09:34 PM   #4
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I just bought it ... and managed to escape BVC with only the book I came for.

That sounds like my life, squared (so far, international identity thieves haven't gotten involved, and I have more reptiles and fewer mammals, plus some fish who don't like going in the water). I'm really looking forward to reading it.

Last edited by Worldwalker; 07-07-2010 at 12:14 PM. Reason: typo fix
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:21 AM   #5
Lemurion
eReader
Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lemurion ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Bought. Read. Liked.
Old 07-07-2010, 11:34 AM   #6
ChrisDolley
Author
ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.ChrisDolley writes the songs that make the whole world sing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lemurion View Post
Bought. Read. Liked.
That was quick!
Old 07-07-2010, 11:47 AM   #7
Lemurion
eReader

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisDolley View Post
That was quick!
Not really - I bought it at about 11:20 last night - finished by 11:20 this morning.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #8
steph_g
Book Lover
steph_g doesn't littersteph_g doesn't litter

Device: iPad, iPhone 3GS
Okay, this is lame - I downloaded the sample from Amazon. It consisted of the cover and copyright page. That's it. Not even a little bit of the first chapter. I'm sure it's not the authors fault, but really?! I'll try smashwords...
steph_g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 04:16 AM   #9
ChrisDolley
Author

There are three excerpts up at Book View Café:

The beginning

How not to speak French

and Animals behaving Badly
Old 07-08-2010, 08:35 PM   #10
Worldwalker
Curmudgeon
Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Worldwalker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
I got it from BookView Cafe; I'm pretty sure they had a good preview, but it sounded so cool I just bought it without one.

And this is what the $15-and-up ebook sellers aren't getting: at $3.99, an ebook is an impulse purchase. "Hey, that sounds good, I'll buy it, and if I don't like it, well, I paid more than that yesterday for a bookmark with lizards on it."
Worldwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #11
ChrisDolley
Author

Quote:
Originally Posted by Worldwalker View Post
And this is what the $15-and-up ebook sellers aren't getting: at $3.99, an ebook is an impulse purchase. "Hey, that sounds good, I'll buy it, and if I don't like it, well, I paid more than that yesterday for a bookmark with lizards on it."
Definitely. And while some of the larger publishers have got this message - from what I've heard - they're having trouble convincing the boards of their parent companies to reduce ebook prices. They still seem to regard ebooks as a danger to hardback sales.
Old 07-14-2010, 10:45 AM   #12
Surfergirl
Enthusiast
Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.Surfergirl has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PRS-505 (Blue)/PRS-505 (Red)/iPhone 3GS
Well, you got me! I just read the excerpts, and since my colleagues were looking at me strangely as I sat and sniggered, I thought I'd better buy the book.

Looking forward to reading it.
Surfergirl is offline   Reply With Quote