Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 05-27-2009, 07:28 AM   #1
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: 1000s
Is 1000s clear and legible for technical papers?

Hi, I am a fresh one here but come to this forum a long time. I have not bought 1000s right now but I have planned this for one year and 1000s seems to be the only reader I want until now. I need to read academic papers everyday, so I concern how well 1000s could display my papers very very extremely much, especially facing with such a high price. Thus could someone kindly kindly try my papers uploaded and give me a feedback? Thank you very very much.

Secondly, I am in Cork, Ireland. Thus is there someone using 1000s in Cork and being glad to have me a look? Thanks very much again.

Finally, the irex gives me a reply to say I need to count 5-8 days to receive my 1000s. Is such a long time normal because they use UPS? Thanks finally

Last edited by yingwu; 05-27-2009 at 09:48 AM. Reason: change a titile to make question more clear
yingwu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
Both papers are perfectly legible.
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 09:42 AM   #3
yingwu
Addict
yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.yingwu has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myprecious View Post
Both papers are perfectly legible.
Thanks very much for your trying and your feedback Is the size of font small, when there are two columns in the paper?
Old 05-27-2009, 09:55 AM   #4
keng2000
Researcher and Consultant
keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.keng2000 has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: MACBOOKPRO17" HP2400TX SONYUX27
I do scan these docs.
SAMP1 with grey, 150 dpi
SAMP2 with grey, 300 dpi (zip)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	SAMP1.jpg
Views:	444
Size:	708.5 KB
ID:	29851  
Attached Files
File Type: zip SAMP2.zip (2.67 MB, 295 views)
keng2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 10:08 AM   #5
yingwu
Addict

O, it is clear even the docs is under scanned. Thank you so much!! Now I am sure and have full confidence on this device for my research. What I do next?
Advert
Old 05-27-2009, 10:46 AM   #6
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Yingwu

I read journal papers on the DR1000s everyday. I even review manuscripts, theses, and dissertations on it. With Xournal, I am now keeping most of my research notes on the device. There is one small bug in displaying PDF files when two options are set, but it is very easily overcome (text shifts left outside the display area). My files are named with the author date format and organized in folders by journal name. The feature that is lacking is a means of searching by file name let alone by content. I have a citation manager on my desktop. I made a PDF listing of my literature database that I copied to the device which I can search in a pinch.

I also print to the device with the PDF writer. I no longer worry about printing out a 500 page statistical analysis. I can take the analysis with me without carting around a ream of paper. With the right search pattern, I can jump to particular items in the printout.

If you end up teaching a class, the DR1000S can be used with a video equipped overhead. In this application you can demonstrate how charts are used, save them, and post them on a course management system. Of course you could also annotate charts and post the annotations for students to download.

Despite a few warts (it is a computer), I highly recommend it for scholastic activities, especially with the most recent update (v1.6).

td

Last edited by tjdean256; 05-27-2009 at 11:44 AM.
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:19 AM   #7
elewton
elewton began at the beginning.

Device: Hanlin V3
Do you reckon now is a good time to buy?

The Kindle DX will be coming out soon. Will this result in a decrease in price of the DR1000S?

Unless, of course, your need is urgent.
elewton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 11:48 AM   #8
yingwu
Addict

Thanks above and above. Your experience is extremely helpful for me. I print out academic papers everyday, maybe thousands one year and read e-books with my computer (uncomfortably). I can not carry all these with me everyday. I just worry that the size of font will be too small for some math formulas. What is your feeling?

Also thanks elewton. Yes, I notice Kindle DX and plastic logic is coming. But when? Or even they come, how much will irex decrease their price? 100EU and go back to 599? I guess less than 200EU. What do you think?

Hehe, I am not in harry with it.....
Old 05-27-2009, 01:29 PM   #9
PhishStyx
The me that I am
PhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheesePhishStyx can extract oil from cheese

Device: Kindle 1 & DR 1000s
If you're in school and can wait until the fall term, then I would suggest waiting simply because the price may drop.

You may also decide that you prefer the Kindle DX if you're just going to be reading on it & not taking notes.
PhishStyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2009, 02:14 PM   #10
tjdean256
Zealot
tjdean256 is on a distinguished road

Device: irex dr1000s; Pocket edge
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
I just worry that the size of font will be too small for some math formulas. What is your feeling?
I haven't had a problem with too small of a font. If you need to enlarge the type, the device has several zooming options.

In comparing the DR with the Kindle, one essential feature in your situation will be the ability to organize your literature.

td
tjdean256 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 05:51 AM   #11
yingwu
Addict

Thanks everybody for your suggestion. I have a job, so though 800EU is still expensive for me to buy such a device, but 100EU or 150 EU doesn't matter if I can enjoy it half of year earlier. I think it worth that. I don't think Kindle DX is suitable for me, as its screen is smaller and I can not make notes by DX. So how well or comfortably to make notes by using 1000s. I have heard there is 'pen bug' seriously and frequently. Is it true?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:04 AM   #12
Mackx
Guru
Mackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to beholdMackx is a splendid one to behold

Device: iRex DR1000S
Quote:
Originally Posted by yingwu View Post
I have heard there is 'pen bug' seriously and frequently. Is it true?
The 'pen bug' is solved in the latest firmware (R1.6). I do not believe anyone is still reporting 'pen bug'(-like) problems.
I do not make frequent notes so I can not comment on that part of your question.
Mackx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 06:18 AM   #13
yingwu
Addict

So it seems the firmware is becoming stable with 1.6. Yes, I don't see any report of 'pen bug' very recently, because 1.6 is just released shortly.

By the way, I think for a 800EU device, I should use it for many years and I am not expecting to see movies in a piece of 'paper', so is this device robust enough and in good quality to use?
Old 05-28-2009, 06:59 AM   #14
myprecious
Zealot
myprecious began at the beginning.

Device: DR1000S
The device is far from perfect However, I do not regret buying it - on the contrary - I love it - if you like reading large format documents it is the best device there is
Will it last years? I hope so

Last edited by myprecious; 05-28-2009 at 10:24 AM.
myprecious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #15
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjdean256 View Post
Yingwu

If you end up teaching a class, the DR1000S can be used with a video equipped overhead. In this application you can demonstrate how charts are used, save them, and post them on a course management system. Of course you could also annotate charts and post the annotations for students to download.

Despite a few warts (it is a computer), I highly recommend it for scholastic activities, especially with the most recent update (v1.6).

td
Is this included in the manual? I am a student and teacher at the same time and this would be handy to me if it would have this feature. Is it just like a laptop to use with the video overhead projector?
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote