Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 04-08-2009, 03:12 AM   #1
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm TX, CyBook Gen3
Giving zero karma - possible?

It might be useful to acknowledge appreciation for posts that you enjoy, but fall just short of earning a karma point.
How about a system to award zero karma points?

We could call it 'karmalite - none'.
Sparrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:19 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You could always send the person a PM to tell them that you appreciated their post.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 03:23 AM   #3
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
Good point... I tired to short change you....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Penny Pincher.jpg
Views:	331
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	27278  
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 03:24 AM   #4
Donnageddon
Now you lishen here...
Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Donnageddon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650. Kobo Touch, Kindle Fire
I assume the "(or take)" is from the dark ages of negative Karma.
Donnageddon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 05:41 AM   #5
Jill75
Zealot
Jill75 doesn't litterJill75 doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You could always send the person a PM to tell them that you appreciated their post.
I would appreciate this more than earning points in the forum, unless I have another agenda wanting those points. At least I know that there is a person that appreciate my post.
Jill75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-08-2009, 08:28 AM   #6
Sparrow
Wizard
Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sparrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparrow View Post
It might be useful to acknowledge appreciation for posts that you enjoy, but fall just short of earning a karma point.
How about a system to award zero karma points?

'karmalite - none'

Old 04-08-2009, 08:32 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
now tell the truth, sparrow, did you start this thread just so you could make that joke ?
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 08:33 AM   #8
Sparrow
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
now tell the truth, sparrow, did you start this thread just so you could make that joke ?
maybe
Old 04-08-2009, 08:34 AM   #9
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
maybe
Old 04-08-2009, 08:56 AM   #10
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Quote:
Good One. And zero karma to YOU, peanut.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:13 AM   #11
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Leaving aside the intended joke of this thread, a neat thing about the karma system is that you can use it while staying in the thread, with just a couple of clicks. Maybe a similar link to the "Visitor Messages" function would be a good idea. Visitor Messages show up at the top of your UserCP page (where I start from every day), and are usually short. Another nice thing about the Karma system, though, is that it ties to the particular post that inspired the comment. Maybe it's not worth tinkering with after all. You can always set the karma value down to 3 or whatever the lower limit is if you just want to send a friendly note about a particular message.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Leaving aside the intended joke of this thread, a neat thing about the karma system is that you can use it while staying in the thread, with just a couple of clicks. Maybe a similar link to the "Visitor Messages" function would be a good idea. Visitor Messages show up at the top of your UserCP page (where I start from every day), and are usually short. Another nice thing about the Karma system, though, is that it ties to the particular post that inspired the comment. Maybe it's not worth tinkering with after all. You can always set the karma value down to 3 or whatever the lower limit is if you just want to send a friendly note about a particular message.
very good points, and i have to agree that what i like best about the karma system (well, other than the karma fortunes, of course) are the messages. i care more about them than about the points. and i do like that they are tied to the specific post that inspired them ; it makes the response much more concrete.
Old 04-08-2009, 04:24 PM   #13
ShortNCuddlyAm
WWHALD
ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ShortNCuddlyAm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad. Selling my silver 505 here
Quote:

No karma for you for that though!

(Only cos I've given you some too recently though, it would seem...)

As far as karma goes, I like the fun aspect of it too (like offering karma for getting a question right and that sort of thing), although I realise some people rather disapprove of those sort of practices...
ShortNCuddlyAm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2009, 10:15 AM   #14
mjh215
Guru
mjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentametermjh215 can solve quadratic equations while standing on his or her head reciting poetry in iambic pentameter

Device: None of your business
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortNCuddlyAm View Post
[...]although I realise some people rather disapprove of those sort of practices...
Eh, I pay them no mind. I find it most telling that I've never received Karma for answering a question or being helpful to those that think Karma should be reserved just for those types of purposes. Most likely it is because they don't like me, but if they believe so wholeheartedly that it should be a strict 'merit' based system and acknowledge my help then not giving me Karma for personal reasons just makes them hypocrites...

Oy, did I really type that in? Actually, I didn't care about Karma at first, but the messages and the surprises that I get make them nice. It really can warm the heart at times... I actually try to remind myself to give it more often, since I know it has a habit of brightening up my day... It is amazing how the silliest and smallest gestures can have so much impact isn't it? It's kind of like getting tickled out of the blue...

-MJ
mjh215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2009, 03:51 PM   #15
digitalzen
Connoisseur
digitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litterdigitalzen doesn't litter

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
He gets to up his post count too
digitalzen is offline   Reply With Quote