Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 11-13-2010, 02:37 AM   #1
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD, iPad Pro 10", iPhone 15 Pro
Loving the integrated dictionary!

I've been missing the integrated dictionary that I got so used to on my PocketPC device, and have been loving having it in the Kindle... I find myself looking up a lot of words that I would have previously passed over without a thought... yesterday (or was it today... been home with a cold, the days have blended together) I looked up the word "dais"... perhaps I should have known it, but I didn't... anyhow, I was just now watching an old TV show from the 80s on Hulu while doing the dishes and heard the word... I was very happy that I knew what it meant! :-)

I'm curious... do others find themselves increasing their vocabulary due to the integrated dictionary?

Also... should I feel bad for not having known that word already? :-)
twowheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 08:00 AM   #2
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by twowheels View Post
Also... should I feel bad for not having known that word already? :-)
Naw, it's a good thing to extend ones vocabulary. However, watching 80s television shows on daytime TV, even with a cold, now that's something to feel bad about!
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 08:52 AM   #3
SensualPoet
Wizard
SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SensualPoet ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kindle Paperwhite, Asus ZenPad 3, Kobo Glo
The built-in integrated dictionary of the Kindle was one of the surprise benefits for me. So far, anything I have looked up has actually been there including some quite uncommon words from Chesterton's era and some uniquely Scottish words that cropped up in Graham Thomas's Malice in the Highlands.
SensualPoet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:13 AM   #4
Doug Huffman
Banned
Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.Doug Huffman knows the square root of minus one.

Location: Washington Island, across Death's Door, Wisconsin, USA
Device: KINDLE 3 WiFi
Be careful to not fall prey to the dictionary fallacy.

That said, I look forward to the day when a dictionary comprehensive of the words in my reading is available.
Doug Huffman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:25 AM   #5
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW 3, Sony 350 and 650
I didn't think I'd use the dictionary with my Sony 650, but I do - I even consult it for words where I'm fairly certain I've sussed out the meaning from context ... just cuz I can!

Once I was reading my takeoff/landing print book, and ran across two unknown words, drumming my fingers until we cleared takeoff altitude so I could get out my Sony and look them up!
SeaBookGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-13-2010, 12:39 PM   #6
twowheels
Wizard
twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twowheels ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Huffman View Post
Be careful to not fall prey to the dictionary fallacy.

That said, I look forward to the day when a dictionary comprehensive of the words in my reading is available.
Please do tell, what is the dictionary fallacy?
Old 11-13-2010, 12:40 PM   #7
twowheels
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by SensualPoet View Post
The built-in integrated dictionary of the Kindle was one of the surprise benefits for me. So far, anything I have looked up has actually been there including some quite uncommon words from Chesterton's era and some uniquely Scottish words that cropped up in Graham Thomas's Malice in the Highlands.
Yes, more than once I've looked up a word that I thought they'd never have, and it was there!
Old 11-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #8
Polyglot27
Addict
Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Polyglot27 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Archos 80 G9, Sony PRS-650, Sony T1, Asus MemoPad.
Double tapping on a word to get its definition in the Oxford Dictionary of English on the Sony PRS-650 is so easy that I find myself using it more and more. I have certainly increased my vocabulary in since I bought it 3 weeks ago.
Polyglot27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:03 PM   #9
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polyglot27 View Post
Double tapping on a word to get its definition in the Oxford Dictionary of English on the Sony PRS-650 is so easy...
#$^#$% Sony!

No firmware upgrade for 505, eh? Fool me once, shame on you.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 02:17 PM   #10
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?
SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaBookGuy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Now if only I could find ebooks in French or Spanish to use those dictionaries!
Old 11-13-2010, 03:20 PM   #11
Seanette
Addict
Seanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-booksSeanette has learned how to read e-books

Device: Samsung Galaxy s3 (Android 4.4.2), iPad 2, Win10 laptop
I just hope future versions of Stanza have dictionary integration.
Seanette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:37 AM   #12
dordale
Wizard
dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dordale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650 & 350; Kindle Voyage; Kobo Aura HD, Aura One, and Forma
I love the dictionary on my Sony 650! It's so easy to use, I'll use it for words that I'm pretty sure I know the definition of.

I upgraded from my 505 to a nook specifically to get a reader with a dictionary, but was very disappointed. I found the dictionary on the nook to be very cumbersome to use and on top of that a lot of times it didn't have the word I was looking up in it.

So, even though I'd only had my nook for a couple months when the new Sony's came out, I upgraded again. And as I said earlier, I'm loving the dictionary support on the Sony--so easy to double tap words to get definitions of them!

dordale
dordale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:46 PM   #13
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Absolutely love the integration. But it also one of the drivers for my preference for touchscreens. Double-tapping a word with my fingernail to open the dictionary entry is too convenient.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:52 PM   #14
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I never use a dictionary when I read in English, but I do when I read in French. It is one of the reasons I switched from Sony to Kindle. I love being able to read in French and just look up a word as I go.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:21 PM   #15
SeaBookGuy
Can one read too much?

My Sony 650 has a French dictionary available.