Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-08-2009, 06:22 AM   #1
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Is pricing getting worse?

I was interested in getting "Her Fearful Symmetry" which was recently released. I have just checked WHSmith and it is listed at £21.84.

This is also apparently the list price of the E-book
The Hardback has a list price of £18.99 and surprise surprise is discounted to £13.99.

This price is absolutely maddening. There is no way in hell that I am going to pay a price like this.

What makes this worse is that the Audio version is cheaper which surely costs more to produce (since they need to pay for studio time, actors to read the book and then the production).

These prices surely are designed to encourage piracy?

Last edited by PieOPah; 10-08-2009 at 06:25 AM.
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:25 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The price will fall when the paperback is released. This is pretty normal.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 06:27 AM   #3
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

I'm aware that this is pretty normal to have e-book prices more than the physical version, but it seems that the gap in prices is widening. There is nearly a £7 difference between the PB and E-book.
Old 10-08-2009, 10:53 AM   #4
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
mail them and enquire ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 10:55 AM   #5
PieOPah
Addict

To be honest, I am sick of their stock responses when enquiring about the prices -

They always blame the publisher...
Old 10-08-2009, 10:57 AM   #6
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
To be honest, I am sick of their stock responses when enquiring about the prices -

But isn't generally the publishers fault? They're the ones who set the list price.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 11:00 AM   #7
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Quote:

Then write the publisher.

And, yes, I agree with you. I'm fortunate enough to have two readers (Kindle & Sony) and I can shop around for the best price if there's a book that I just *HAVE* to buy before the price drops.

But as HarryT has said many times, I already have more books on my readers than I have time to read. So I simply choose to wait to get the electronic version if the price is too high. If I'm just *dying* to read it now, I'll borrow from the library.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2009, 12:08 PM   #8
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
But isn't generally the publishers fault? They're the ones who set the list price.
The last time I contacted publishers, they told me that they sold the book and it was then the stores choice at what to sell - they also told me that they sold the PB and Ebook for the SAME price....
Old 10-08-2009, 12:18 PM   #9
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The last time I contacted publishers, they told me that they sold the book and it was then the stores choice at what to sell - they also told me that they sold the PB and Ebook for the SAME price....
Maybe it's the distributor raising the list price then? The retailers are basing their price on the list price so they're getting it from somewhere.
Old 10-08-2009, 12:23 PM   #10
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

For the book in question if you go to the publishers site they clearly have a higher list price for the ebook...

eBook - http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/catalog...ata=1409076911
pBook - http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/catalog...ata=0224085611

and what seems really crazy the audiobook has a lower list than either one...
http://www.randomhouse.co.uk/catalog...ata=1846572304