Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 08-03-2014, 12:09 PM   #1
maraxion
maraxion began at the beginning.

Device: Paperweight 2
How to use Calibre on kindle paperweight 2?

Hello.
So I downloaded calibre and wanted to test it on my new paperweight 2.

Fiund somew books, relabled them as I wanted and downloaded metadata all good. Saved the files and then transfeered them to the kindle.
But when I start the kindle it cannot find the covers or metadata... They are there on the kindle, but it doessent work. Also the kindle seems to make another folder of all the books I added inside the original folder...?
maraxion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:15 PM   #2
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@maraxion-

-Did you set up Calibre to send the proper book format to your kindle?
-Did you reconvert the books after changing the metadata?
-Are the covers of the books an appropriate size and if you changed the size or image, again did you reconvert?
- is there DRM on the books?

Some more information would be helpful.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 12:50 PM   #3
maraxion

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoSharks View Post
@maraxion-

-Did you set up Calibre to send the proper book format to your kindle?
-Did you reconvert the books after changing the metadata?
-Are the covers of the books an appropriate size and if you changed the size or image, again did you reconvert?
- is there DRM on the books?

Some more information would be helpful.
Good questions
1. The format is already mobi so I dident think I had to. I can reed the books, but the pictures are not working...
2. Do I have to reconvert the books afterwards? Again the books can be read, but cover pictures not.
3. Using pictures downloaded from metadata in calibre, no edits
4. All the books are working, so dont think so.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #4
GoSharks
SQUIRREL!!
GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GoSharks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K-Fire, PW2, PW3
@maraxion-
Unless you have Calibre setup to convert on sending to device, yes you need to reconvert after changing metadata and covers for them to stick (at least for covers). Also, the cover size needs to be appropriate -- PW's are touchy about this. I've found the easiest thing for me is to use the Resize Cover plugin for Calibre (you can pick which size you want...I just use the default and it works fine).
If you can read the book, then the format to send option is okay.
GoSharks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:19 PM   #5
maraxion

Hm.
So you are saying the books are good, but that the cover.jpg are the problem maybe?
I cannot find where I can adjust them to standard, could you point me in the correct dirction so i can try this solution?

Update:
So if I use the "send to unit", the mobi files alone wil be sent to a folder. Inside that subfolder with the mobi files the paperweight wil make subfolders with the book name for each of them with an apnx file. But no working coers are anywhere to be found or working.

Last edited by maraxion; 08-03-2014 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:25 PM   #6
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Reconversion is needed to embed covers into MOBI, but not AZW3.

Note that this only applies to the cover embedded in the book. The cover when viewing books in cover view is independent of the embedded cover, and is used from [userstore]/system/thumbnails/.

If a book has a valid ASIN, that cover thumbnail must be downloaded from Amazon's servers -- or alternatively, calibre will sideload one based off the library metadata.

If the book is a PDOC, the cover thumbnail will be extracted from the book, by the Kindle software. Since MOBI cannot update covers, you will need to either: use AZW3; or set the EBOK flag &/or add an ASIN (Quality Check PI can do this) so calibre sideloads the thumbnail.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 01:28 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maraxion View Post
Hm.
So you are saying the books are good, but that the cover.jpg are the problem maybe?
I cannot find where I can adjust them to standard, could you point me in the correct dirction so i can try this solution?

Update:
So if I use the "send to unit", the mobi files alone wil be sent to a folder. Inside that subfolder with the mobi files the paperweight wil make subfolders with the book name for each of them with an apnx file. But no working coers are anywhere to be found or working.
cover.jpeg isn't a problem, it's just that the Kindle PW is apparently touchy about what size covers to use. Even if the cover is set properly, if it is the "wrong" size the PW (but not any other Kindle model) will barf on it.

The cover will be embedded in the .mobi/.azw3 -- the sidecar folders with apnx inside are something totally different.
Old 08-03-2014, 01:34 PM   #8
maraxion

Hm. So I searched a bit. And after that I found a post that said that to get working covers I had to share?!
So on the mobi outdata I enabled sharing with facebook etc, and now the covers work...
Strange but good
Old 08-03-2014, 02:11 PM   #9
maraxion

When i have now got the covers to work, is there any way to get a collection in the paperweight to show a cover? So a cover picture for a collection.
Old 08-03-2014, 02:16 PM   #10
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie

Nope, sorry.

Collections cannot be assigned cover images.

(Actually, NiLuJe implied there might be a way, but massively complicated and with much breakage potential, and anyway nobody has implemented it.)
Old 08-03-2014, 03:13 PM   #11
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Why are you calling it paperweight?
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2014, 05:44 PM   #12
maraxion

Quote:
Originally Posted by pidgeon92 View Post
Why are you calling it paperweight?
Haha, wel thats the best question iv got all day Il remember that one if It breaks in the future and I need something to use it for in the office!
So pardon my french, and thank you everyone for the help!