Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 11-22-2012, 05:35 PM   #1
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Gen3, Kindle PaperWhite, iPad
Time to upgrade?

I have been happily using my Cybook Gen 3 for jsut over 4 years now https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...ght=slider1960, but I am beggining to think it is time to look at a replacement.

1) The screen seems to have lost some of its contrast (niggle factor 4/10)
2) I am having lots of problems getting it to connect properly via usb, the only way to get stuff onto it these days is to put the sd card directly into the laptop and copy stuff that way - no more Calibre organised folders easy like. (niggle factor 8/10)
3) Format fiddling. I have spent a lot of time buying from various sources, drm stripping, converting etc. etc. and am constantly mocked by my Kindle owning other half (niggle factor 5/10 and increasing)
4) Book sourcing - Finally after recommendations here I have started using Amazon as a book source as a UK based customer and am happy with the range and pricing etc. so why go through all of 3) when I could just download directly? (niggle factor 3/10)

And so the requirement:
I already have an iPad and so am not not interested in reading off a bright LCD display or any other app enabled device so I am purely looking at e-ink devices. As already stated with Amazon as a source, then some form of Kindle is looking like the answer.

Questions:
I like the look of the new Paperwhite and as I would not be looking to buy until after the holiday period current availability is not a huge issue, but I am a bit concerned about this whole illuminated display thing - is that not why e-ink was developed- less eye strain on non-lit displays? but I guess the light does not need to be on all the time.
I assume that I can still load my existing MOBI format library to a new Kindle using usb as well as getting new stuff over the wifi?
Finally, are there any obvious reasons I should not consider upgrading to the PW? I guess my trusty old Cybook will keep going a while yet, but how many folks here have not upgraded in 4 years :-)

So there you have it - comments please
Slider1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 04:44 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The PW is an excellent reader - I'm sure you wouldn't regret buying it. The light enormously increases the readability of the screen, even in daylight, but you can turn it down to the point where it's invisible (you can't actually turn it off) in daylight, if you prefer. Yes, the PW will display your (DRM-free) Mobi books, and it also of course gives you access to the wonderful Amazon bookstore, which is the best around by far.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:37 AM   #3
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Na, so you will not win the price for the longest lasting e-reader!

As Harry has already answered your questions I would only like to mention that one disadvantage might be the loss of folder organisation and another the loss of using sd cards.
In point 1) - screen - you will win most.

Last edited by Billi; 11-23-2012 at 09:37 AM.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2012, 06:48 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you like Bookeen devices, have you considered the new Cybook Odyssey HD? It has a frontlight, just like the PW.
Old 11-24-2012, 02:17 PM   #5
Frankr
Zealot
Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Frankr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EzReader, Sony 650, Kindle 5, Onyx i62HD, Kobo Aura HD
I just picked up a Kobo Glo and I love it.
Frankr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2012, 03:36 AM   #6
Slider1960
Connoisseur
Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Slider1960 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks for the responses guys, currently the Amazon site it offering ship dates of 18th Dec for xmas delivery. suppose I'd better get that plastic ready :-)
Old 12-13-2012, 11:45 AM   #7
Slider1960
Connoisseur

Well it's here! My intention was to stick it under the tree as a pressie from Santa, but I was hoping to take a peek. Damn this 'frustration free' packaging - it can only be opened once The cover looks nice though, a lot smaller than my Cybook one.

Well, I haven't finished the book I'm on so might as well just put it away for 12 days.......

BTW
When ordered they were talking about ship date as late as the 18th with delivery by 24th. But I got a mail on Monday night saying it would be dispatched shortly and it arrived yesterday
Old 12-27-2012, 05:17 AM   #8
Slider1960
Connoisseur

So I was a good boy and didn't open my PaperWhite until Xmas day, and I must admit, having since read about display problems on here it was with some trepidation that I turned it on......

Fantastic, makes my four year old device seem like stone age. The display is perfect as far as I can tell with no evident blotchyness or shadowing - I tend to use about 9 -11 for normal daytime reading indoors and about 4 - 7 for night time reading with a low level bedside light on (can't see the point of reading in the dark).

I had a little hiccup to get it on wifi as I use mac filtering at home and so could not get to the settings screen. So I turned off mac filtering and let it do its thing until I could grab the mac address and set my wifi up. Then best of all having been used to the "buy / download / de-drm / convert / sideload / etc" cycle, once I found the cloud screen there was the book I bought the other week and within 10 seconds I was reading it. I cannot tell you how much more convenient the whole Amazon eco-system makes things.

In use the device is great, in the Amazon specific case it is a bit heavier than my old Cy-Book in its case but quite a bit smaller for the same screen size. Also coming straight on and to the page I was readiing rather than the old Cy-Book's 20 seconds (from sleep) and then only to the catalogue is a great improvement. I have only played with most of the settings just to get my favourite font and size up but it all seems pretty straightforward - my partner has an older keyboard Kindle and says everything is much slicker on the PW.

So from a couple of days use I am a very happy new PW owner and thanks to HarryT and others that lead me down the path to 'enlightenment'.
Old 12-27-2012, 05:25 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Very happy to hear you've got a reader you enjoy. Regardless of what model it is, that's the most important thing!