Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 06-30-2013, 08:31 AM   #1
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Your experience with hairline cracks on Kindle Keyboard

Hi everyone,

I know that hairline cracks on the casing of the Kindle Keyboard are a common issue and up until recently I have been spared from that problem. However, now both of my KK's have each developed a crack on one of the lower corners.

The first one is almost two years old and had been my only reader for a long time, taken everywhere. I have gotten so much use out of it that I suppose it's understandable if it shows the first signs of age now. If I'm not imagining it, the battery is also beginning to weaken a bit.

However, the second one has barely been used at all, never taken out of the apartment, and always been kept very safe. I bought it as a backup after the Paperwhite was released because it continues to be my absolute favorite ereader. But it too has now one of those cracks. It is still within the one year warranty period but shortly after I bought it, amazon.de stopped selling this model, so an exchange is impossible as well.

Now, I'm not really that bothered by the cracks, as there are not that noticeable but I am worried that they will get worse over time. Which is why I would be grateful if you could tell me if that has been the case, if you have a KK with hairline cracks as well.
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 08:33 AM   #2
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
They won't get worse, and they are purely cosmetic. They won't affect the use of the device in any way.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 10:27 AM   #3
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
What you could get is a case with a frame that the Kindle slips into, like this. Then the cracks are protected, and you won't see them.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Luxury-Lea...-/330773448904
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #4
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
I bought my Kindle Keyboard in August of 2010. Right when it came out. It got that crack on the right bottom bezel about 6-7 months into ownership. I watched it for a while and it didn't get longer. But it bugged me to look at it.
I didn't want to go through the trouble with exchange.

So I got a matte black wood skin from decal girl and stuck it on. I wanted something t be as close to the original color as possible as I was afraid, I wouldn't be able to stick it on straight. Then that would have bugged me.

My KK has been fine every since. Not a problem. I don't think the crack got any bigger, but I don't know for sure as I can't see it anymore.

I do know it did not extent to the edge as there is no skin on there and I can't see it.

So more than 2 years with the "crack" and no issues.
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 01:24 PM   #5
Illyria
Connoisseur
Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Illyria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KK, K5, K7, KPW3
Great, thank you! It's good to know that most likely there won't be any problem in the future.
Illyria is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-30-2013, 08:17 PM   #6
ucfgrad93
Wizard
ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ucfgrad93 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2nd Gen
Got one on my Kindle Keyboard, but it doesn't affect my ability to use it at all.
ucfgrad93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2013, 09:34 PM   #7
just_jeepin
Addict
just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.just_jeepin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Amazon used to replace them, but I've heard that they won't replace them anymore. They replaced mine and my wife's both but they were under a year old.
just_jeepin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 04:36 AM   #8
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by just_jeepin View Post
Amazon used to replace them, but I've heard that they won't replace them anymore. They replaced mine and my wife's both but they were under a year old.
They should only have replaced them under a year old anyway, I think they were lenient then, but now not so much.

My only recommendation for anyone buying a Kindle is to take out the warranty.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Josieb1 View Post
They should only have replaced them under a year old anyway, I think they were lenient then, but now not so much.

My only recommendation for anyone buying a Kindle is to take out the warranty.
The problem only affects the K3. I don't think that's being sold any longer, is it? It's certainly not available at Amazon UK.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 01:36 PM   #10
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Both of my K3s also have cracks - I would have never noticed them had I not read about the problem here on the forum. One is 2010, one is 2011, and the cracks are there for a bit over half a year (that I know of). Still there, neither bigger nor smaller.
So I think you should not be worried. And maybe buy the suggested covers if that will make you feel more at ease.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:22 PM   #11
hn333
Addict
hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hn333 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kindle Fire
Does having a case prevent cracks? Because I have a K3 for over two years now and it has no cracks what so ever.
hn333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2013, 08:32 PM   #12
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
Does having a case prevent cracks? Because I have a K3 for over two years now and it has no cracks what so ever.
Same here but I keep mine in a official lighted case.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2013, 12:18 AM   #13
EatPrayRead
Nameless Being

I've had my Kindle 3 since they were first released in 2010, and it developed a hairline crack in late 2011 - roughly a year after I first purchased it. I've put my Kindle through hell and back since purchasing it (always keeping it in the official lighted case); I've dropped it in airports, sat on it a couple of times, had other bags thrown carelessly on top of my bag - containing the Kindle - during lectures, and I've used it for almost half of my total reading. The crack has not grown in any way between then and now, and my Kindle is still going strong.
Old 07-03-2013, 08:18 AM   #14
jmilica
Banned
jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jmilica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle KB, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by hn333 View Post
I don't think so. My both kindles are in official lighted case but they still developed cracks. Out of these two, one was always with me wherever I went, the other (husband's) was all the time at home, not carried around unless we traveled.
I don't think it has anything to do with how careful you are about it. At least that has been my experience. Probably, it's just that some will develop cracks, some will not.
jmilica is offline   Reply With Quote