Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-27-2013, 11:17 AM   #16
medard
Wizard
medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.medard ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Electronic Paper
There will be a T3, and it will be front lit. That is just as sure as the stars shine above.

The real questions are When? and How much?
medard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #17
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
The Kindle PW is a tough act to follow and I say that as a big fan of my past Sony readers.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 03:58 PM   #18
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I'm sure that Sony's next eInk reader - IF they produce one - will almost inevitably be front-lit. But to treat this unsubstantiated rumour as a "fact" does seem to be rather a case of skating on thin ice.
True, but it's fun to speculate anyway.

As to why one might want to listen to an audiobook on an ereader - simply because if you change your mind and want to listen instead of read, the option is already there, especially if you waiting around somewhere and aren't carrying all your devices around with you.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #19
QuantumIguana
Philosopher
QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.QuantumIguana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2 gen, Kindle Fire 1st Gen, Kindle Touch
It doesn't matter all that much if the average reader wants a dedicated e-reader, what matters is if enough readers want one to maintain a viable market.
QuantumIguana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:09 PM   #20
samhy
Wizard
samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.samhy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: (Sony (J) PRS 650), Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo HD
Just so you know, there was a thread on the same topic here.
I don't know if those two threads need to be merge or not.

I'm looking forward to an announcement so we'll know if this T3 is a serious contender
samhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2013, 05:37 PM   #21
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Every year Sony comes out with a new reader around Fall. About 6 months before that the prices of the current ereaders drop to clear inventory. And every year there is a lot of speculation because of those price drops that Sony is getting out of the ereader business entirely and there won't be any more new ones.

I'm going to stick by their track record and believe they will come out with a new reader again this year like always around Fall. And to be a real contender, they really need it to be a front lit reader, so again, I'm going with that assumption.

How they execute it though is my only concern. I'm spoiled by the software on the 350s as far as reading, options, even the time indicator, collections, and the general layout I feel is superior to other readers I've seen. That will be the deciding factor if I give up my 350s for their lighted reader. And yes, I'd be willing to pay more for it if it's as good as the x50 line was.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:04 PM   #22
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sony has made several improvements to their bookstore in the last few months. They have added more features with their Collection pages, author book club and the new Kids Corner. They have also sent out 30 and 40% off coupons by email. They also just changed the UK bookstore. My prediction is that they will release another reader. I think that it will be front-lit to be competitive. I have both a Nook Glow and a Kindle Paperwhite. Neither is perfect, and there is room for improvement. I hope Sony can do it better.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:14 PM   #23
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
I think it's a neat prospect. I am very loyal to the Sony book readers. I love mine. I'd love to see a Sony "mini", because I've seen the Kobo mini, and they look soooo cute, but the drawback is, it's a Kobo. So a cute little Sony Mini epub reader (front lit or not)would be awesome for me.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:18 PM   #24
Shopaholic
Cockatoo Mom!
Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shopaholic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, Kobo: A1, Clara, Libra 2, iPad Pro 11, iPad Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
I think it's a neat prospect. I am very loyal to the Sony book readers. I love mine. I'd love to see a Sony "mini", because I've seen the Kobo mini, and they look soooo cute, but the drawback is, it's a Kobo. So a cute little Sony Mini epub reader (front lit or not)would be awesome for me.
They ditched the 5" reader a few years ago. I highly doubt they're going to go back to it and the 6". It's a waste of money to make all those different sizes.
Shopaholic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:33 PM   #25
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
But most people who have had the various optional sizes, the 5" and 7" readers, are extremely loyal to those sizes and really hate when they had to replace them with 6" screens. For myself I absolutely love the 5" size and how portable it is and I'd give anything to have them also come out with a 5" front lit reader.

But I'm pretty sure that's not going to happen, they're going to stick to just 6" screens.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:54 PM   #26
spindlegirl
Wizard
spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.spindlegirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra h20, Paperwhite 2017, Phone & Tablet w Moonreader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shopaholic View Post
They ditched the 5" reader a few years ago. I highly doubt they're going to go back to it and the 6". It's a waste of money to make all those different sizes.
Ahh I am rather late in the game then. My first Sony was the T1 (which i gave to my daughter and she loves it) and I've had the T2 since december.
spindlegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:07 AM   #27
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post
The Sony "Mini" was cute! My 350 is metallic pink. I was also a fan of the 7" readers. Sadly, I think the 6" model is here to stay.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 02:10 AM   #28
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Sony is not unaware of the recent rise in popularity of the 5" screen (see the Galaxy S4 (5") and the Note 2 (5.3")).

However, an e-ink Reader with a screen that size would have to be second in line to a 6" reader, and overall sales high enough to justify both models.

I wonder whether Sony believes a future market for an e-reader will exist at all, let alone that they'll be able to sell two sizes.

Still, I love my PRS-350s. Before the Paperwhite and Glo, people in cafés and trains used to ask where they could get one. They'd never seen an e-reader that compact.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 03-28-2013 at 02:22 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 03:10 AM   #29
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
One question to ask is whether eInk are still making 5" screens. If they are, I suspect it's in extremely small quantities.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 05:19 AM   #30
MikeB1972
Gnu
MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MikeB1972 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook,JetBook Lite,PRS-300-350-505-650,+ran out of space to type
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
One question to ask is whether eInk are still making 5" screens. If they are, I suspect it's in extremely small quantities.
Kobo, at least, are still selling them, so I'd guess the answer is yes
Admittedly they could be using up old screens.

Hopefully Trekstor & e-ink can sort out their patent dispute as I don't think trekstor will have any problems producing 5 inch screens if anyone want's them (Still liking the 4.3 inch screen on the Pyrus mini).
MikeB1972 is offline   Reply With Quote