Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 01-07-2011, 01:13 PM   #16
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Seriously, I'd suggest just letting this thread die. After reading his second post, he really doesn't look like he wants help but rather want to rage, which is totally his prerogative, but there's no sense feeding it.

That said, there has to be an option to turn it off, or at the very least, as Taming mentioned, during the install phase, a way not to start it in the first place. In most cases, an app requires your facebook/twitter user name and password to start with, so if you don't supply it, then it can't connect. I was hoping to take a look at the app on my clients iphone, but her battery died.

Lastly, my research on this subject, while didn't provide me any solutions, did give me this; it would seem that it's generally found that the Kobo E-reader app is actually one of the best ones out there. Personally, when I had piloted the iPad for my department over the summer, I prefered the kindle app *shrug*. Also, most apps are also integrating social media connectivity support, so while you might find that it doesn't suite your taste, you'll be hard pressed to find one that doesn't do it, or doesn't eventually do so.

cheers!
Steph S.
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 01:20 PM   #17
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
You cannot turn the messaging off, though you can prevent it from posting your progress to Facebook, Twitter, etc. I too really find it annoying. I've pretty much stopped using the Kobo app, which was my favorite iPad reader. Fortunately you can read all the same books on Bluefire. I'm not sure who else has the newspaper subscriptions though.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 01:35 PM   #18
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
I don't have an iPAD, so I am waiting for this to be released for Android, but there is a full review here on the Digital reader that says, among other things, that you can turn all alerts off.

As no one had asked the question on the Kobo support board, I went ahead and did this. You can read the question here.

Last edited by taming; 01-07-2011 at 04:08 PM.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:20 PM   #19
lessthanyouthink
Connoisseur
lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.lessthanyouthink can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: iPad / iPhone / Kobo Touch
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by taming View Post
I don't have an iPAD, so I am wating for this to be released for Android, but there is a full review here on the Digital reader that says, among other things, that you can turn all alerts off.

As no one had asked the question on the Kobo support board, I went ahead and did this. You can read the question here.
^ Yes, the alerts can be turned off. I've just posted the following under that question

Quote:
The alerts are completely customizable -- you can disable them entirely, disable certain notifications, or just disable them while reading. Events can also be set to automatically share with Facebook or only when manually shared. Just navigate to the Settings tab under Reading Life.
Here's a screencap of the settings page, for reference:
http://i52.tinypic.com/9r7rfd.png

Cheers,
Charles
lessthanyouthink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 02:24 PM   #20
Psyke
Evangelist
Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Psyke ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wi-Fi - Kobo Touch - GNex - N7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lessthanyouthink View Post
^ Yes, the alerts can be turned off. I've just posted the following under that question

Here's a screencap of the settings page, for reference:
http://i52.tinypic.com/9r7rfd.png

Cheers,
Charles

Excellent. thanks Charles!!
Psyke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2011, 03:56 PM   #21
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Thanks, Charles! I've found that the Get Satisfaction board help has been amazing!
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2011, 05:44 PM   #22
mamasue
Zealot
mamasue began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
wowzers! so much transferred aggression from the OP.

have you actually followed up on any of the helpful suggestions provided to you?
mamasue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 04:46 PM   #23
0johntheripper0
0johntheripper0 began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo
habv, thru, riduculas, juvinile, sometinng, awaybfrom, imorove, relativly.......

Are you absolutely sure you aren't 13 years old?

Grow up indeed.....
0johntheripper0 is offline   Reply With Quote