Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 02-11-2013, 06:34 PM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
An eccentric request: 1,000 page Indie novel

The Title says most of it, but to paraphrase myself, what I'm looking for is a BIG Indie novel, say something close to 1000 pages.

I'm looking for something on the order of 'The Stand' [King] or 'Swan Song,' [McCammon] or 'Carrion Comfort' [Simmons].

The book must be one complete novel, not comprised of many parts/novels joined together into an omnibus volume.

The book must be from an Indie writer.

The book can be a 'literary' novel (which may be a term at cross-purposes when paired with the word 'indie').

NO paranormal/romance/vampire wherein the novel consists of all three of those elements. I will settle for a vampire novel - IF it doesn't have those other two elements.

No historical fiction novels that feature romance.

Does such a beast exist?

Don
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Why no "omnibus" versions if they comprise a single, complete story?

I have seen more and more indie books being released as serials and then an omnibus will be released once complete.

As for a direct answer, I looked through my TBR list and the list of books I got for free; out of the indies, the longest appears to be Anu-Bis by T. O Bolseen at 824 pages long. There are a couple longer ones but they don't appear to meet your criteria for no-omnibuses. There might be longer ones in there too, but I only started marking things as indie or not a few months ago.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-11-2013, 07:13 PM   #3
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
The Title says most of it, but to paraphrase myself, what I'm looking for is a BIG Indie novel, say something close to 1000 pages.
Got a word count in mind? Smashwords doesn't list pages. I don't think of books by page count anymore.

250,000 words? (I can easily point you to fanfic novels that length or longer.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
Why no "omnibus" versions if they comprise a single, complete story?

I have seen more and more indie books being released as serials and then an omnibus will be released once complete.

As for a direct answer, I looked through my TBR list and the list of books I got for free; out of the indies, the longest appears to be Anu-Bis by T. O Bolseen at 824 pages long. There are a couple longer ones but they don't appear to meet your criteria for no-omnibuses. There might be longer ones in there too, but I only started marking things as indie or not a few months ago.

Only because that's what I'm looking for. I'm curious to know if there are any more big novels out there.

Really: it's just a matter of preference. Nothing more.

Don
Old 02-14-2013, 06:12 AM   #5
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
There's a series from an indie author called the Heku series. The author is T.M. Nielsen.

I have eight of these books and the page count (based on Calibre) are:

Book 1: 359
Book 2: 433
Book 3: 517
Book 4: 908
Book 5: 1141
Book 6: 877
Book 7: 1142
Book 8: 970

I have never read any of them so I don't know if they're worth the page count.

You can find them on Amazon and Smashwords.

I don't stumble across a word count over 300,000 words often in indie land though. I do see quite a few in the 200,000 - 250,000 range. Again, not vouching for quality.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-14-2013, 01:04 PM   #6
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
There's a series from an indie author called the Heku series. The author is T.M. Nielsen.

I have eight of these books and the page count (based on Calibre) are:

Book 1: 359
Book 2: 433
Book 3: 517
Book 4: 908
Book 5: 1141
Book 6: 877
Book 7: 1142
Book 8: 970

I have never read any of them so I don't know if they're worth the page count.

You can find them on Amazon and Smashwords.

I don't stumble across a word count over 300,000 words often in indie land though. I do see quite a few in the 200,000 - 250,000 range. Again, not vouching for quality.

Is this one download and/or one book? [What I'm looking for.]

Or is this many downloads and/or many books? [What I'm not looking for.]

Thanks.

Don
Old 02-14-2013, 03:19 PM   #7
Zetmolm
Guru
Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Zetmolm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook Touch (622), PocketBook Touch Lux 2, Pocketbook Touch HD 3
A friend of mine wrote an 800-page (densely printed) 'literary' novel. He self-published it on paper only. And it is in Dutch.

So yes, such a beast exists! But that fact does not really help you
Zetmolm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #8
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zetmolm View Post
A friend of mine wrote an 800-page (densely printed) 'literary' novel. He self-published it on paper only. And it is in Dutch.

So yes, such a beast exists! But that fact does not really help you

Good!

Ok, he should translate it into English and release it as an ebook. Typos are mandatory, by the way.

Don
Old 02-14-2013, 04:56 PM   #9
caleb72
Indie Advocate
caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.caleb72 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
Is this one download and/or one book? [What I'm looking for.]

Or is this many downloads and/or many books? [What I'm not looking for.]

Thanks.

Don
I'm not sure how to answer your question, because I don't think I'm now sure what you are looking for. I thought the intention of your request was to find a novel rather than omnibus over 1000 pages. Does the novel also need to be standalone?

In any case, I've read a bit further on these books. They're about vampires, but I've read a few reviews and I think that they are far too close to paranormal romance to apply. Sassy girl coming to terms with being a vampire (or some other supernatural that must drink blood). Very beautiful - every man wants her. Hmmm - looks like it's going majorly in the wrong direction for you.
caleb72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 06:14 AM   #10
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
I, too, like the long novel. I have read several long novels like you seek (except no vampires either -- I really dislike paranormal, romance, vampires). The problem is that they are usually incomplete in that they are a part of a series and you really need to read the series. A good example is the Phoenix series by Richard L. Sanders. Each book ran 800+ pages but even with 3 books published, the story is incomplete. If you want to check it out, the first book, The Phoenix Conspiracy, is free. I found the books to be very good but frustrating that none of them are a complete story.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 07:33 AM   #11
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by caleb72 View Post
I'm not sure how to answer your question, because I don't think I'm now sure what you are looking for. I thought the intention of your request was to find a novel rather than omnibus over 1000 pages. Does the novel also need to be standalone?

In any case, I've read a bit further on these books. They're about vampires, but I've read a few reviews and I think that they are far too close to paranormal romance to apply. Sassy girl coming to terms with being a vampire (or some other supernatural that must drink blood). Very beautiful - every man wants her. Hmmm - looks like it's going majorly in the wrong direction for you.

Let me try again: I want a novel. I don't want a series of titles or volumes.

As an example of what I'm looking for (purely as an example of length), use these five titles as a guideline:

1) War and Peace
2) The Stand
3) Swan Song
4) Carrion Comfort
5) Atlas Shrugged

That's it.

So: Any Indie novels out there?

Don
Old 02-15-2013, 07:41 AM   #12
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

This one, The Phoenix Crisis (The Phoenix Conspiracy Series) [Kindle Edition] is a piddly little book of only 359 pages.

This other one, The Phoenix Rising (The Phoenix Conspiracy Series) [Kindle Edition] is even less pages, mere doodley-squat at 321 pages.

The first one (?) doesn't seem to be available at Amazon (although it's possible I'm looking right at it and can't seem to find it). From Smashwords, the information is that it's a mere 120,399 words - which is about twice the length of two anemic genre novels. So that one, too, would appear to be too short...

The search continues for an Indie writer with a smoking, burning typewriter.

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 02-15-2013 at 07:46 AM.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:10 AM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Why don't you just stop looking for reasons why you don't care for indie books/authors and just get on with your preferred reading? It would probably save everyone a lot of trouble.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 02-15-2013 at 08:12 AM.
DiapDealer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2013, 10:31 AM   #14
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Why don't you just stop looking for reasons why you don't care for indie books/authors and just get on with your preferred reading? It would probably save everyone a lot of trouble.

There are plenty of thick novels by established authors who are not indie writers.

It's an Indie book I am looking for.

Don
Old 02-15-2013, 10:40 AM   #15
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

I meant to say 'thanks,' Dazrin.

I'll check out Anu-Bis by T. O Bolseen, which has 824 pages. However, in looking at this from Amazon, it looks like the author inserted a space between every paragraph - something which I personally dislike.

I wonder if that lengthens the book by about 50 or more pages?

Does anyone own this book and, if so, have you removed the paragraph spacings to see how long it actually is?

I'll do some further research on this one. It may actually be the longest Indie novel out there.

Don