Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-23-2009, 01:51 PM   #1
DiesOutHere
DiesOutHere began at the beginning.

Device: Sony-505, iPhone
Hello from Texas

Here I am in Houston, where the humidity is so thick that you can wear the air like an article of clothing. Anyway, the fact that I live literally across the street from NASA makes it worthwhile .

It's nice to meet you all. I'm looking forward to getting to know you and getting help for my technology-impaired self. Ask me a question about medicine or biology and you're golden. Ask me one about computers and I'll look at you blankly.
DiesOutHere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 01:59 PM   #2
Elsi
Wizard
Elsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of lightElsi is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Kindle; Sony PRS 505; Blackberry 8700C
Hello and welcome to MobileRead. You're fortunate that you live in a community with plenty of PC-savvy folks around. I'm also in Texas, but about an hour north of the DFW airport, practically in Oklahoma.

How long have you had your Sony reader? Do you read on your iPhone? Which application are you using on it? Have you tried the Amazon app for the iPhone?

I own both a Kindle and a Sony reader. Since it has been so easy to get current-release books for the Kindle, I've not bothered to register my Sony at the Sony store. I also read some books (DRM-free SF/F from Baen) on my Blackberry.

We're glad you've joined us at MobileRead. Jump into the various discussions. Download some of the fabulously formatted books in our library. Tell us all about yourself and the books you like to read.

Oh, and before I forget -- I think we're planning a Texas get-together in mid-April somewhere in the DFW area. I need to poke RalphSirEdward and see how the plans are going.
Elsi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
Hello DiesOutHere....enjoy the humidity
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 03:05 PM   #4
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi DiesOutHere and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
dreams
It's about the umbrella
dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dreams ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 505| K Fire | KK 3G+Wi-Fi | iPhone 3Gs |Vista 32-bit Hm Prem w/FF
Welcome to MR, DiesOutHere (watch out for fire ants)

As you can already see, there are lots of friendly people here willing to help with information.

Join in, ask questions, and have fun.
dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-27-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
DiesOutHere

Ah, the fire ants. They were all over Austin when we lived there. My husband had never seen or heard of them before and the conversation went something like this:

Him: Honey, look at this. The ants are red here.
Me: Yeah, those are fire ants. [goes on with life because ants are no big deal to a Texas girl]
Him [looking horrified]: FIRE ants??!!

I've noticed that what I read reflects what I need in my life right then. For instance, when I start PA school this fall, I will be swamped with learning. So, in my scraps of free time, I will probably go for complete brain candy, like the Harry Potter series. When life is non-stressful, I prefer books that make me think. When I'm dealing with something extremely challenging in my life, I read epic fantasy. I end up saying to myself, "Look, Nancy, if Frodo could drag that stupid ring all the way to Mount Doom, surely you can manage to [get an A on an exam, finish filling out PA school applications, finalize Science Fair projects with kids, etc]". Right now, I'm getting divorced, so I keep reading that stupid Twilight series and Kelley Armstrong's Otherworld series. I guess I need to feel loved unconditionally right now.

I purchased my friend's old Sony 505 (blue, of course!) when she upgraded to the 700. The reader, case, and the 124 books on it cost $200. Much cheaper, smaller, convenient, and immediate than the Kindle. Though I still want one of those . I'm not really running any software for it because I have a Mac, so I haven't found a way to make it play nice with my computer.

I also have an iPhone, so I run both Stanza and the Kindle app on it. When I can't tote around the Sony, I'm perfectly happy to entertain myself with those. Oh, but to find a way to integrate everything so I don't have to have multiple copies of books in all different formats! Or if one of them could become the market standard already! Better yet, they could get together and create some kind of hybrid device that combines what I love about both of them.

Thanks for the welcome, everyone. I'm glad to be here!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:00 AM   #7
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
(me makes note to self : save all questions about medecine and biology for DiesOutHere).

Hi DiesOutHere and let me add my welcome to all the previous ones !

my reading tastes also change depending on what is going on in my life. good luck with your divorce ; please don't hesitate to come and spend some time relaxing in the lounge with us to change your ideas. you might also be interested in the "vent and rant" thread it's very cathartic, and you can complain about whatever is bugging you all you want : that's what it's for.

since you say you're using a mac, i recommend you take a look at calibre ; it's a free library management and conversion tool (and rss aggregator) developped by one of our brilliant members, Kovid Goyal. it works on a mac ! and for the sony, i recommend getting epub books. it's the new industry standard format and hopefully in the near future it will finally topple the tower of e-babel made of all the incompatible formats. it will also work on your iphone using stanza, so you might already be using it. if in the future you do get a kindle, drm-free epub books can be trivially converted to mobipocket format using calibre (or the desktop mobi app, but that doesn't work on a mac, alas), which you can read on the kindle.

take a look around, download some of our wonderful free ebooks, don't hesitate to ask questions. enjoy the site and your new sony !
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:11 AM   #8
AbFabGab
Gadget-Luster
AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AbFabGab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Samsung Galaxy Tab S2
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiesOutHere View Post
Ah, the fire ants. They were all over Austin when we lived there. My husband had never seen or heard of them before and the conversation went something like this:

Him: Honey, look at this. The ants are red here.
Me: Yeah, those are fire ants. [goes on with life because ants are no big deal to a Texas girl]
Him [looking horrified]: FIRE ants??!!

Welcome and enjoy your BLUE reader!
I have a red one (since early Feb) and it's my best friend!
It's the greatest thing since chocolate...
AbFabGab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:14 PM   #9
DiesOutHere

Zelda:
Please send me all your medical and biology questions! I love to answer questions and feel smart! I teach the MCAT and GRE for Kaplan and tutor math and chemistry to middle- and high-school students. Teaching and tutoring are all about answering questions!
I have Calibre on my computer (it's how I ended up at these forums). I'm slowly learning how to use it. Epub has thrown me so far. For example, Catherine Wilson has posted free books of hers on this forum. I downloaded the epub format, but I have no idea which file in the folder is the one I want. I finally went with the mobi format and put that on Stanza for now.
It looks like Morse code in your signature. Is it?

AbFabGab:
Of course, chocolate and a red reader are the best things to have in a month like February!
Old 03-27-2009, 10:22 PM   #10
zelda_pinwheel
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiesOutHere View Post
Zelda:
Please send me all your medical and biology questions! I love to answer questions and feel smart! I teach the MCAT and GRE for Kaplan and tutor math and chemistry to middle- and high-school students. Teaching and tutoring are all about answering questions!
thanks ! good to know.
Quote:
I have Calibre on my computer (it's how I ended up at these forums). I'm slowly learning how to use it. Epub has thrown me so far. For example, Catherine Wilson has posted free books of hers on this forum. I downloaded the epub format, but I have no idea which file in the folder is the one I want.
wow, calibre even before you found mobileread ! clearly you're a natural. hmm... it sounds like maybe you unzipped the file ? (epub is actually just a wrapper, like a zip archive, with several files inside it : the xhtml for the text, css for the style rules, ncx...) normally an epub should just have an .epub file type and there should only be one file. if you got what looked like a zip archive, and opened it, the zip was probably the epub file itself, possibly renamed (if you change the extension from epub to zip, it behaves exactly like a zip archive). take a look in our free ebook library here, in the epub format section : there you can see a few examples. you just download the file (there should only be one), and slide it directly onto your sony, or else load it into calibre first and use that to send it over. no unzipping / opening necessary, and all the files stay together. let us know if you get stuck.

Quote:
It looks like Morse code in your signature. Is it?
yep.
Old 03-27-2009, 10:27 PM   #11
pshrynk
Beepbeep n beebeep, yeah!
pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pshrynk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iThingie, KmkII, I miss Zelda!
Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
(me makes note to self : save all questions about medecine and biology for DiesOutHere).

Hi DiesOutHere and let me add my welcome to all the previous ones !

my reading tastes also change depending on what is going on in my life. good luck with your divorce ; please don't hesitate to come and spend some time relaxing in the lounge with us to change your ideas. you might also be interested in the "vent and rant" thread it's very cathartic, and you can complain about whatever is bugging you all you want : that's what it's for.

since you say you're using a mac, i recommend you take a look at calibre ; it's a free library management and conversion tool (and rss aggregator) developped by one of our brilliant members, Kovid Goyal. it works on a mac ! and for the sony, i recommend getting epub books. it's the new industry standard format and hopefully in the near future it will finally topple the tower of e-babel made of all the incompatible formats. it will also work on your iphone using stanza, so you might already be using it. if in the future you do get a kindle, drm-free epub books can be trivially converted to mobipocket format using calibre (or the desktop mobi app, but that doesn't work on a mac, alas), which you can read on the kindle.

take a look around, download some of our wonderful free ebooks, don't hesitate to ask questions. enjoy the site and your new sony !
Hmph!

Welcome to the madness, DiesOutHere. Great place and good, if somewhat fickle friends.
pshrynk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 10:28 PM   #12
zelda_pinwheel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pshrynk View Post
Hmph!

Welcome to the madness, DiesOutHere. Great place and good, if somewhat fickle friends.
don't worry pshwynkie, i'll still save all my "psycho" questions for you.