Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-14-2012, 10:30 PM   #1
jdm001
Connoisseur
jdm001 is on a distinguished road

Device: Entourage Dualbook
Clear Memory/Refresh/Reset Eink Screen?

I have another thread posted here about my eink being permanently stuck on "initializing" and not doing anything (it does flash at startup, but it goes back to same screen).

I think its software related (it sometimes causes issues where I can only hibernate... when I shutdown I don't get the "this will turn off your edge" popular, and it goes black, only to be in hibernate, not power down. I have to hit reset with a pin).

Anyone know how to clear cache or memory to reset the eink side?

Thanks!

Jm
jdm001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 11:18 PM   #2
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
this happened me a couple times, most likely culprit seemed to be corrupted memory (running out of battery while hibernating. also, crashing+freezing kindle app and google books app)

didn't have the time to track anything down, so I simply reflashed golden allmine each time (probably not the answer you wanted). after the second (or third?) round of that, it had finally occured to me what was likely happening. since then I've avoided the abovementioned causes and have not had the problem again.
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2012, 07:45 AM   #3
jdm001
Connoisseur

Ah yes, that did happen to me too! Both times I think, and I already reinstalled once... not too big a deal: 20 min install then another 10 min restoring everything with TI backup by hitting "ok" then "next" a hundred times to install everything again.

How do you avoid it happening again? Do you always power off, and only hibernate if plugged in?

I don't see the pattern, I've left it in hibernate for days, and it never died or lost a charge; but other times it would die in hibernation in a couple hours. is there a tutorial explaining it?

Lastly, anyone that knows how to write apps for the device, a memory reset app would be a godsend!

Thanks Tarvoke!

Jm
Old 07-15-2012, 05:09 PM   #4
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
No tutorial sorry

In hibernation there may be things like wireless running depending on the app last used and its settings. Some apps are worse than others in this respect, those that are primarily designed for phones tend to wake up fairly regularly to check in to the network, the fact the PE and EE are not phones does not stop this and may in some cases make it worse because the app looks for the network longer.

To help with your problem I would suggest you have a good look at what you are restoring with an eye to the possibility that one of the apps is causing the problem you are seeing.

In some cases using the latest and greatest version of an app is not a good idea with our hardware. Some of the 'improvements' only cause problems because of the modified version of the android operating system we have.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #5
tarvoke
Dog Dentist
tarvoke began at the beginning.

Device: PE, GT540, VM670, GOGHVMU, Qualcomm 1600
my steps since then have been something like this (and this is purely anecdata / by-feel)

- only hibernate on battery for a couple hours at a time (e.g. airplane) and only if 50%+ battery. overnight hibernation only on charger.
- when powering off the device, make sure it is truly off before closing it! sometimes I found it will hibernate instead, if you close it right after telling it power-off...!
- stick at the kindle v3.3.0.405 recommended by songoffire. do not upgrade past that, ever.
- don't install or use any version of google books :-(
- don't go randomly installing new interesting apps, stick with those that have always worked. do lots of research if a new app is to be installed, and be prepared to re-flash (and to suspect the newly installed app for causing it!)
- don't upgrade apps if they have been working fine (unless there are important new features or bugfixes)*
- don't upgrade apps without thoroughly reading changelogs (esp. to see if there are e.g. added or upgraded graphics/ui modes)

* apps like gapps, k9mail, terminal/ssh programs, Estrongs stuff etc. - I tend to trust for upgrades, since they aren't really graphically oriented, and it's only graphics-API-intensive apps that have seemed to freeze/crash my PE.

also: jdm001, now your experience makes me wonder even more about how safe battery hibernation is. thinking about what ivanjt said, maybe before hibernation I should try to remember to turn off all radio hardware and kill *basically everything* with ES task manager.

last year, I think there was once or twice I had to re-flash because of one strange behavior or another. at that time I never used kindle or google books, but I feel like I probably did let the battery die while hibernating...
tarvoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-16-2012, 08:30 PM   #6
vicinc
Guru
vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.vicinc has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Pocket Edgex2(1unborked), Alex, Nook B&W, Nook Color, Nook STR
use the repair procedure from my unborking guide. it works
vicinc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 10:11 PM   #7
ladywith7
ladywith7 began at the beginning.

Device: android
I am havin trouble with my tablet it will only let me turn it on. I can not get any further then my startup page. I can not even go to the setting. What should I do to fix this. Please help me fix this problem
ladywith7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 08:15 AM   #8
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ladywith7 View Post
I am havin trouble with my tablet it will only let me turn it on. I can not get any further then my startup page. I can not even go to the setting. What should I do to fix this. Please help me fix this problem
What you're describing might be the lock screen. If so, you need to drag the bottom icon over to the right to meet the other piece, until the screen unlocks.
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 05:29 PM   #9
ivanjt
Guru
ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ivanjt ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle dx; eDGe
It could also be the registration screen depending on the version of Android that is on the machine.

If it is ladywith7 then you need to read at least the first two sticky threads of this forum because they will give you most of the information you need.
ivanjt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 11:48 AM   #10
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Quote:
ladywith7 I am havin trouble with my tablet it will only let me turn it on. I can not get any further then my startup page. I can not even go to the setting. What should I do to fix this. Please help me fix this problem
Quote:
glow
What you're describing might be the lock screen. If so, you need to drag the bottom icon over to the right to meet the other piece, until the screen unlocks.
Lock Screen

Quote:
ivanjt It could also be the registration screen depending on the version of Android that is on the machine.

If it is ladywith7 then you need to read at least the first two sticky threads of this forum because they will give you most of the information you need.
Register Screen workaround
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #11
glow
Book and Gadget Fan
glow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to beholdglow is a splendid one to behold

Device: Nooks GL3, ST w/GL, Color, HD+; Kindles Voyage & Paperwhite; PE, EE
Thanks for finding the threads, Gunner. I hope one of these helps her. (I'm making the leap that ladywith 7 is a "she"!)
glow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2012, 11:36 AM   #12
jdm001
Connoisseur

After a month and a half of knowing the cause and issue, i've not had a problem. I no longer hibernate, and i've had no issues.

I do notice my eInk sometimes is slow to refresh (it waits for my Lookout Antivirus and a couple other things at startup to finish), and then refreshes to the "3 circle" default screen after the initializing one; but it works. Ebooks are good, everything else is fine.

I might start to try hibernation only while plugged in, but that's only when i have a half hour and a power supply just in case it does get stuck.