Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Are you a member of LibraryThing?
Yes....I'm an author and its a way to get my books "out there" 3 2.24%
Yes, I like the reviews/recommendations 18 13.43%
Yes, I like the social networking aspect 9 6.72%
Yes, I like the way I can manage my books there 31 23.13%
Yes, I'm interested in what other people are reading 15 11.19%
Yes, I like to post reviews on what I've read there 8 5.97%
No, never heard of the place 69 51.49%
I prefer Goodreads because (please post reason) 25 18.66%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 134. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2010, 04:19 AM   #31
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
I use it because I could easily scan my entire collection into it, and then download the resulting catalog onto the iPad to take around with me when browsing secondhand book shops to check what I do and don't have.
murraypaul is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 04:35 AM   #32
s3ntient
s3ntient began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-600
I absolutely love LibraryThing!
I tried the most popular sites before picking one:

Shelfari seemed a bit limited in the genres I like and the userbase seemed less involved than at other sites, the reviews were generally of lesser quality than other sites.

GoodReads just has awful navigation, the book and library management features are ridiculously bad compared to LibraryThing and generally there's an overload of features I'm absolutely not interested in (trivia quiz) at the expense of more useful features like an actual usable book import feature.

So I picked LibraryThing, it has all the features I need and more, very good book and library management features, easy navigation, an involved userbase...
s3ntient is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 05:20 AM   #33
alexul
Connoisseur
alexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura aboutalexul has a spectacular aura about

Device: PB 360, Kobo Touch
I am a mermber of LT for a couple of weeks. I was searching for a site to enter my book collection and also get recommendations. But I also use visualbookshelf in facebook. I think both of them are good, too bad that LT doens't have a more straightforward interface.
alexul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:08 AM   #34
jenieliser
Groupie
jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jenieliser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2019, Kobo Libra H2O
I like LibraryThing because of the reviews and seeing what is suggested reading related to a book I like. That's usually how I decide what book to read next. But I do prefer GoodReads, for some reason it seems simpler. A big plus for GR is they have a mobile site. If LT does I haven't discovered it yet. I like updating my reading stats-where I am in my book, etc, from my phone.
I am way more organized on GoodReads, again, it just seems simpler. But I don't get as many useful recommendations from GoodReads as LT.
So, they are both good, I usually toggle between the two when I'm online.
jenieliser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 07:43 AM   #35
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did give LT a try, but when I was inputting some bookS, I found an error that caused what I wanted to come out incorrect. Someone had made some rather major mistakes and screwed up some books. I did try to report the error and i don't know if the error ever did get fixed. I gave up waiting for the people in chArge to fix it.

With Goodreads there are librarians who will look into possible problems and fix them if need be. Also, there is an iPhone app and the interface is fairly easy to use.

If it is a choose between LT or nothing, nothing wins. I would recommend Goodreads though.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2010, 08:24 AM   #36
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
I prefer goodreads. It was the one I knew first. I haven't seen a reason to change.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:14 AM   #37
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klim Chugunkin View Post
Never heard of it. Now I did. What's the point?
Welcome to MobileRead, Klim Chugunkin.

The point? Its an unofficial poll to see how many of our members user either one, and which one seems to be most popular, and why.

Just for my own information. You can log on to either site if you have questions about them.

http://www.librarything.com/

http://www.goodreads.com/

Also.....please feel free to use the "Introduce yourself" link below to tell us more about yourself.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #38
Ea
Wizard
Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3|iPad air|iPhone 4S
I selected "I prefer Goodreads, because..."

But really I don't prefer Goodreads (or Shelfari of which I'm also a member) because of any deeper reason than I simply heard of those places first and became a member. I've since also learned of LibraryThing, but to me that's just a third place to go and I already have enough in the first two. Don't want to bother with more.
Ea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 09:57 AM   #39
MSWallack
Right, Except When Wrong
MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MSWallack ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3 (sometimes iPad Mini).
I've been a LibraryThing user for years now. I had my own book review blog before I found LibraryThing and I migrated over there. I really enjoy the cataloging features, especially the ability to help fix data as a community, the ability to have my information show up the way I want it to (e.g., I want the title of the book to display as Inside Out [Ben Treven #2] and I can make it work that way without impacting other users), the ability to collaboratively add information about books (especially series and characters).

I also looked at other sites and chose LibraryThing.
MSWallack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:30 AM   #40
phlexi
phlexi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
I use goodreads because I don't want to pay to go over 200 books as you do with LibraryThing.
phlexi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 11:52 AM   #41
sony_fox
Zealot
sony_fox has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Kobo Auroa H2O
I use LT primairly I suspect becasue it was first.

But also because I like the simple design interface, the robust support for all books (inc non-amazon titles, titles without ISBNs, foreign languages etc etc), and the owners fundamental philosophy of consulting with the users, having a sense of humour and not being evil. It is however vastly complex and not always intuative about where things are or how to do something. Like all software it takes a bit of getting used to - but ask questions on the forums and you'll get lots of fast friendly replies. The recommendations features are also way better than 'xxx thinks you should read Harry Potter'

Yes it does have mobile support - look under the "More" tab for details. It's also (finally) integrated to facebook.
sony_fox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 12:23 PM   #42
whitearrow
Guru
whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.whitearrow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2
There are a lot of things I like about Goodreads. I just wish that tagging/editing your items was as easy as it is in Library Thing.
whitearrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 02:41 PM   #43
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
I prefer Goodreads because it is free.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 03:16 PM   #44
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
I prefer Goodreads because it is free.
You get what you pay for?... (Just kidding...)
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #45
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
You get what you pay for?... (Just kidding...)
Frankly speaking - yes
I wanted to create a list of books I have read and books I am planning to read and it was longer than 200. So LT fell off. Goodreads won. It does it and it does it for free After that, I started to look around and found a few more niceties on Goodreads. Although, mostly I am not interested in anything else but being my read and TRL database
astra is offline   Reply With Quote