Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 03-26-2009, 02:04 PM   #1
jamesislike
jamesislike began at the beginning.

Device: Itouch
Best PDF reader for the iTouch?

Hey yall~ great forum

I'm looking for a PDF reader for my iTouch that allows me to rotate the view of PDFs. Many times when professors put texts on e-reserve in PDF orientation is off, making it impossible to read using the iTouch's built in PDF viewer.

I don't mind if it's a paid app, just want a reliable PDF viewer, thats decent with images, can zoom and rotate (text search would be nice as well).

thanks for the love!
jamesislike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2009, 12:56 AM   #2
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB1150, iPhone, Cool-er Purple, Pocketbook 360, Kindle Fire
ditto

Was just going to ask the same question. I got a iphone and was wondering if there was a decent pdf reader out there.

Amy
sassanik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2009, 09:31 AM   #3
jamesislike

obnoxious bump
Old 03-31-2009, 01:09 AM   #4
sassanik
Guru
sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sassanik ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

app store

I browsed the app store for pdf readers, and the comments on them in general were not good.

However, after researching Stanza apparently it does open PDF's. So going to try and get it to work with the pdf's that I have. *crosses fingers*

Amy

Last edited by sassanik; 03-31-2009 at 01:24 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:56 AM   #5
agk
agk began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I've found an app called annotator to be quite good though it can't rotate pdfs at present.
agk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 02:34 PM   #6
adelheid
Zealot
adelheid began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
I installed Felaur. Rotates the PDF, looks quite good.
adelheid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 11:23 PM   #7
sassanik
Guru

Stanza

Stanza does open up PDF's, provided you bought them through one of the supported website (ie Feedbooks, BoB, Fictionwise etc). Though it doesn't seem to allow for increases in font size, at least in the PDF area, I have been able to resize ereader format books I downloaded from fictionwise.

So Stanza is free and it does work, even if currently its not perfect.

Amy
Old 04-03-2009, 11:04 AM   #8
jamesislike

adelheid thanks~
Old 04-12-2009, 06:18 PM   #9
Harmon
King of the Bongo Drums
Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Harmon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Excelsior! (Strange...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sassanik View Post
Stanza does open up PDF's, provided you bought them through one of the supported website (ie Feedbooks, BoB, Fictionwise etc). Though it doesn't seem to allow for increases in font size, at least in the PDF area, I have been able to resize ereader format books I downloaded from fictionwise.

So Stanza is free and it does work, even if currently its not perfect.

Amy
If you get the Stanza Desktop, you can easily upload free pdfs to Stanza. I can't say that all flavors of pdf translate - the ones from Google Books don't seem to all the time, but ones from Gutenberg or Internet Archives do.

Anyway, the point is you don't have to have gotten them from one of those sites.

edit: you can also use calibre to convert the pdfs to epub & upload them to Stanza:

First install the Stanza reader on your iPhone from http://www.lexcycle.com . Then,

* Set the output format for calibre to EPUB (The output format can be set next to the big red heart)
* Convert the books you want to read on your iPhone to EPUB format by selecting them and clicking the Convert button.
* Turn on the Content Server in calibre‘s preferences and leave calibre running.

Now you should be able to access your books on your iPhone.

Last edited by Harmon; 04-12-2009 at 11:57 PM.
Harmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2010, 01:14 PM   #10
robinson
Zealot
robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robinson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Good Reader! It can even take the PDF and put it in a reflow mode, where you can resize the text and avoid all that nasty scrolling left and right!

It's only .99 and there's even a lite version that's quite powerful. You can browse the net, find PDFs, and even e-mail them to your laptop!

The feature set is a rich one and clearly something designed by real readers and real PDF users (many options of how to display the text, even night modes, etc.)
robinson is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
itouch, pdf