Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 03-17-2010, 06:33 AM   #1
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kindle Touch; Sony PRS-600
Red face Hello from Brisbane, Australia!

Hi guys,

New member here And new to the e-reader world as well. Have already picked up on a lot of hints, tips and ideas from the forum. Looking forward to getting to know my e-reader better and am comforted by the fact that this forum exists if I get stuck on something!
Almas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:05 AM   #2
Lady Blue
the snarky blue one
Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lady Blue ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS500, 505 & 600, PRST1 & T2, Kindle PW, Moto Razr, Galaxy Tab 2-10"
Hello Almas, and Click image for larger version

Name:	kittywelcome-300x251.jpg
Views:	186
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	48261 to Mobileread.
Lady Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 08:29 AM   #3
ChrisC333
Groupie
ChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it isChrisC333 knows what time it is

Device: Acer eM250 Netbook, iTouch, iRiver Story, HP TM2 Tablet
Hi and welcome,

The ereader scene in Australia is still a bit hit and miss, but it's not too bad once you find your way around. The number of people who sell the books on-line here seems to be picking up quite quickly and the hardware is even starting to appear in places like Harvey Norman. So I think that the next couple of years should be good ones for us. I've bought a couple of books from an Australian site called Read Without Paper (I have no connection with them other than as a customer) and all their prices are in Aus$ which is good. I've also bought ebooks some of the overseas sites without a problem, although the copyright issues do limit what we can buy.

Have fun with your new toy!

Cheers,

Chris
ChrisC333 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 12:05 PM   #4
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MobileRead.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2010, 08:18 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Almas and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #6
PDS
Zealot
PDS began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Dell Mini 9, I-Phone
Hi Almas

Welcome, hope you are enjoying your ereader!

Last edited by PDS; 03-17-2010 at 10:15 PM.
PDS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:10 AM   #7
Almas
Addict
Almas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura aboutAlmas has a spectacular aura about

Hi Chris,

Yes, I was surprised when I started looking into e-books and e-book readers at how behind we were in Australia. And it's a pity that we are so limited in what e-books we can buy. But I think e-books will definately take off in Australia. Hopefully then more choices will open up for us!

Thanks for the welcome
Old 03-18-2010, 01:16 AM   #8
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
G'day Almas,

good to see more Ozzies (I mean Queenslanders) joining the ebook reader revolution. The more readers (people) the more choice for us.

Where did you buy your Sony 600?

SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2010, 01:37 AM   #9
Almas
Addict

Hey,

Yes, there are quite a few Aussies on here

Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post

Where did you buy your Sony 600?

I ended up buying it from E-bay. I was looking at this site to buy it from:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/search...tialSearch=yes

but with postage, it was working out to be too expensive. It cost me $293 including postage from E-bay and it arrived from the US within 5 days of ordering it, which I thought was pretty awesome.

Are you looking at the 600 as an option?
Old 03-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #10
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Ooh ta that price sounds better. Given that the Eco reader (HanLin v3) is $445 out of Melbourne plus postage.

I originally had my heart set on a PRS-900, but I am rethinking the value of the extras. The 600 may be a more affordable option that will do the same thing (except the WiFi which I don't think will work in Oz). I REALLY would like an Iliad, but a new one is out of my price range.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 03:03 AM   #11
Almas
Addict

Oh yes, the Iliad does look really nice.. but very pricey! I've seen the Hanlin Ebook Reader V3 at a cheaper online price at Dymocks:

http://www.dymocks.com.au/ProductDet...=6928324100265

But it is still more expensive than the Sony PRS 600.

Also, I have noticed that Harvey Norman has started selling the Iriver Story Ebook Reader:

http://www.harveynorman.com.au/produ...-e-book-reader

These are the only two readers that I could find which are sold locally in Australia and both are way more expensive than the Sony, which I bought and had sent from the US!

Anyways, I enjoy my Sony It looks good, feels good, and was at a reasonable price.

Hope you settle on one that you like!
Old 03-19-2010, 03:23 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
G'day, Almas. Good to have your company. Quite an Australian contingent here now -- all good fun. Looking forward to your posts. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2010, 04:18 AM   #13
Almas
Addict

Thanks Neil!
Old 03-24-2010, 08:22 PM   #14
Katti's Cat
Wizard
Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Katti's Cat can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Hi Almas & welcome to MR. Always good to see another Aussie picking up eReader
Katti's Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2010, 10:05 PM   #15
Almas
Addict

Thank you! I see that you are also in Brissy