Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 AM   #1
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
I've got a problem with a book I bought

I bought an e-book from Adlibris.com (a Swedish on-line bookshop). This is my first attempt to buy an e-book for my Sony Reader. I saw that they sold the book in mobi-pocket format, which I checked worked fine on my prs-600. I thought I was all good to go. So I bought it. But when I try downloading it it asks me for my PID number and this is where my plans to download this fails.

The PID is a unique number for every mobi-pocket reader system which effectively locks my book to that reader. So here's the dilemma. If I install mobi-pocket on my PC to get a PID, then I can download the book I bought. But as far as I can tell, I still won't be able to move it onto my Sony Reader? Can I?

As far as I can tell I need some sort of hacked mobi-pocket program where I can download content and then copy and move it about freely. As far as any moral or legal worries, as far as I'm concerned this is all fair use. I've already paid for this book and I don't think it's nobody else's business how I read it.

The other formats I can download this book in are:
Adobe PDF - Adobe Digital Editions
MS Reader

So any advice?
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Download the Adobe PDF. Sony can't read the other two formats.
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 04:35 AM   #3
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Adobe PDF - avoid at any cost. The worst possible format for 6" ebook reader. Even though it has "reflow" feature it is rubbish.
Disinfecting .mobi is a bit complicated or very complicated. It depends how computer savvy you are.
MS .lit format is very easily disinfected and converted to lrf or epub and it would be the format of my choice.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:35 AM   #4
DrZoidberg
Connoisseur
DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrZoidberg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-600
Quote:
Originally Posted by astra View Post
Adobe PDF - avoid at any cost. The worst possible format for 6" ebook reader. Even though it has "reflow" feature it is rubbish.
Disinfecting .mobi is a bit complicated or very complicated. It depends how computer savvy you are.
MS .lit format is very easily disinfected and converted to lrf or epub and it would be the format of my choice.
So how do I disinfect MS .lit format? I'd prefer to have it as an rtf.
DrZoidberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 06:37 AM   #5
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Search the forum for clues or google for ConvertLit utility. Cannot say more
Advert
Old 02-03-2010, 06:39 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert

I just remembered something. Mind you, I could be wrong because I don't use Calibre. I think there is a plug-in for Calibre to do it automatically....but I am not sure.