Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 02-18-2015, 10:53 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
No covers shown on calibre....

...when my Kindle is connected and while viewing ebooks on my Kindle.

Actually, the newer ebooks I add to the PW2 do show up on my PC when calibre is open (and the PW2 is connected).

However, books added earlier do NOT show on the PC when calibre is connected (and the PW2 is connected).

I'm wondering if this may have something to do with my HD crash a few days ago. I was adding some books to the PW2 (and doing other things, too, of course), and then a few days after that I detected a problem with my PC. Eventually, I had a HD crash.

Fortunately, I had done a backup, but it was few months old.

Since my backup was a number of months old, I decided to delete those old backup files, and then did a copy/paste of the newer calibre files.

Other than deleting all those ebook files that show no cover when the PW2 is connected to the PC, and then copying them BACK onto the PW2 - is there a more elegant solution.

FURTHER CLARIFCATION:
1) I have covers on my Kindle for all my ebooks.
2) I DON'T have covers on some of my ebooks when I want to see what ebooks are loaded onto my PW2, while viewing this in calibre.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2015, 12:26 AM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I assume the missing covers you see are solely in Device View in calibre? That information is stored in a file called metadata.calibre on the Kindle drive -- it caches all the Device View information, the cover is a base64-encoded thumbnail -- and sometimes it can get corrupt, also calibre will clear it if it detects the book is no longer there. If calibre was partway through updating the file (it resends the whole thing) then it could have been corrupted -- next time you connected, calibre rescanned and added all books, but with only the basic info that gets extracted in that case, not the enhanced set which calibre sends during send-to-device.

If you right-click on a book and select "Match book to library" you can tell calibre a specific book goes with a specific calibre record. Then select the Device dropdown in the toolbar, and "Update cached metadata on device". It will update all the metadata that fits in Device View, including the cover thumbnail, series info, tags.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert