Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 09-19-2007, 06:47 PM   #1
Muskrat
Enthusiast
Muskrat began at the beginning.

Device: prs500
Connect Software running slow

My Connect sofware program which came with the reader is now taking about 3 - 4 minutes to open. It is the only program on my computer which is doing this. Any suggestions as to how to speed it up again?
Muskrat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2007, 06:51 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
My Connect sofware program which came with the reader is now taking about 3 - 4 minutes to open. It is the only program on my computer which is doing this. Any suggestions as to how to speed it up again?
Try disabling everything you have starting up when the computer starts and see what happens and that includes firewalls, antivirus, and spam catchers. Some of them can be real buggers.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 01:48 AM   #3
westsan
Enthusiast
westsan is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
The software is a hog. Just give it time.
westsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2007, 12:23 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsan View Post
The software is a hog. Just give it time.
Actually, it's not. It runs fine here. Takes less then 30 seconds to start.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:23 AM   #5
westsan
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Actually, it's not. It runs fine here. Takes less then 30 seconds to start.
If that was so this thread would not exist. On significantly lower spec machines I have seen even worse performance. Sony does terrible software period.

Actually the skin of the application adds a significant load on the software starting up. If you want to be objective (which I guess you are not) grab the window at the top and move it around quickly in a circle. Then compare it to any other software (including iTunes which also uses a skin).
If you are still not convinced take a screen shot and tell me how many trailskins you see on both!

The app has some serious QA problems. Not to mention usability problems.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:44 AM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by westsan View Post
If that was so this thread would not exist. On significantly lower spec machines I have seen even worse performance. Sony does terrible software period.

Actually the skin of the application adds a significant load on the software starting up. If you want to be objective (which I guess you are not) grab the window at the top and move it around quickly in a circle. Then compare it to any other software (including iTunes which also uses a skin).
If you are still not convinced take a screen shot and tell me how many trailskins you see on both!

The app has some serious QA problems. Not to mention usability problems.
The computer I have is currently is using an AMD Athlon 1900+ with an nVidia GForce 2 based video card and 1 gig of ram and Windows XP Pro.. That is hardly a new machine. The load time is not slow. The program does not run slow. Yes, when I drag it around the screen, I get trails. But, I don't have a need to do that so it's not really an issue. Heck, I can get trails from a command prompt if I circle it around the screen. The trails don't have anything to do with how well it's running or not. I am being objective. I'm running Connect on an older slower machine. As it is, Connect takes about 40K to run. That's not that mich ram overall and the speed is not slow.

A lot of the time, issues like these are the cause of one program casuing the problem for another. Has anyone withthe slowdown tried turning off EVERYTHING that starts when the machine boots? Has anyone with this issue tried running Connect in safe mode? I know the USB port won't work, but if it takes an excessive time to load, it might then load in a normal amount of time? What I'm saying, has anyone BOTHERED to try to debug this? If it really was such an issue, then by now you would have seen a lot more people posting about onnect and how slow it is.
Old 10-05-2007, 02:18 AM   #7
westsan
Enthusiast

Exclamation 30 secs

regardless, 30 secs is not to spec by any standard... or wait a minute... that didnt come out right... 30 secs is not standard to any spec!! Yeah, thats it!!
Old 10-05-2007, 03:54 PM   #8
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muskrat View Post
My Connect sofware program which came with the reader is now taking about 3 - 4 minutes to open.
Hmm - sounds like it's looking for something it can't find then finally giving up and starting. Of course figuring out what the "something" is may be a challenge. In addtion to JSW's advice, you might consider:

Did you have your library stored on a drive that's no longer acccessible? Do you see any other slow-to-respond devices in the device list in Connect (e.g. a networked device, drive on another machine that's not currently connected to the network, etc.)

I don't know if Connect tries to access the Internet when started (e.g. to check for updates) but have you changed your internet connection recently?

It might be useful to review any changes you made to your system right before the problem started, regardless of how unconnected it may seem to Connect.

If all else fails, try reinstalling Connect (get the newest version from the Sony website).

Good luck!

Last edited by BobVA; 10-05-2007 at 04:00 PM.
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

BobVA, some good ideas there. I know for one, I have an external drive that auto shuts down isf not accessed for so long and that can cause a slowdown for software startung up trying to access it when shut down.

The latest version I see for download of Connect is 1.1. Do you know where to download the newer version?

I have one other suggestion... I know the USB port won't work as it's not going to be running the driver (I could be wrong here), but try safe mode with networking and see if Connect starts up in a timely mannor and allows access to the ebook shop.
Old 10-06-2007, 10:08 AM   #10
BobVA
Addict
BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.BobVA once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo Clara, Sony PRS950, T1, T2, T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post

The latest version I see for download of Connect is 1.1. Do you know where to download the newer version?
Nope, sorry - My version says 1.1.00.13290, so I'm guessing that's pretty much it.

I got it from the Support section of the Sony site when I was loading software on a new computer last week.

Regards,
Bob
BobVA is offline   Reply With Quote