Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > PocketBook

Notices

Old 05-19-2010, 08:49 AM   #16
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdmorrissey View Post
Thanks, Kacir. Some follow-up questions:
Does "replaceable" mean by the user, or do you have to send it in. (The latter is usually very expensive.)
I haven't actually seen a Pocketbook "live" yet. What is the mechanism for looking up words? Buttons to spell out the word or navigate onscreen to the word? Doesn't have a touchscreen, which I suppose would be easier.
Pocketbook 360's system implies navigating onscreen to the word. Given the ugly keyboard input of PB, I find it a better system. However, you can look up a word outside of reading, since the dictionary can be accessed as a separate application as well.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:08 AM   #17
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: PocketBook 360
Thanks, Logseman. Sorry for my ignorance, but what is "PB"? Not sure how you navigate onscreen to look up words in the separate application...?
When you click on a word in the text, how does the translation show -- in a pop-up box?
Do you know if the price for the Pocketbook 360 will go up next month when the new dictionaries are added to the "package"?
mdmorrissey is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #18
mdmorrissey
Addict
mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.mdmorrissey has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Sorry, didn't read the previous posts carefully. So to answer my own questions, yes the battery is user-replaceable, Italian>English is not (yet) possible, and the new Pocketbook 360 with the language pack will cost 259 euros. This is 20 euros more than the current model, so assuming there are no other differences I guess I should go ahead and get the current version. Does this come with an English-English dictionary, or any other dictionaries? From what I've read it seems likely that two-way dictionaries will be coming before too long (?). Or is there an Italian>English dictionary already that can be uploaded? I'm just about sold on the Pocketbook 360...!
Old 05-19-2010, 09:29 AM   #19
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Thanks, Kacir. Some follow-up questions:
Does "replaceable" mean by the user, or do you have to send it in. (The latter is usually very expensive.)
Replaceable means that you can replace it yourself in 30 seconds. You do not even need screwdriver.
The battery is behind a small door at the back of the device. The battery is attached to the reader by a small connector.
Quote:
I haven't actually seen a Pocketbook "live" yet. What is the mechanism for looking up words? Buttons to spell out the word or navigate onscreen to the word? Doesn't have a touchscreen, which I suppose would be easier.
You enter "dictionary mode" you scroll down to the line where the word is by pressing Down button repeatedly (or, if the line with the word is near the bottom by pressing Up repeatedly - the scroll "wraps around"
Then you use Left and Right buttons to get to the word and you see dictionary entry immediately in a "window" that takes up part of the screen. if you press OK you get to the dictionary window and there are more functions available. You can switch between dictionaries, you can look up different wird by typing it on the on-scren keyboard, or you can scroll up/down in a dictionary to look up similar words(*).

(*) Russian and other Slavonic languages are very different from English. A simple verb, that has only one form in English has many forms, depending on the [grammatical] gender of the speaker or described object, tense, whether it is in plural or singular. Nouns have even more forms, so scrolling in the dictionary is necessary, because you need to find the root of the word.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 09:57 AM   #20
mdmorrissey
Addict

Sounds like just what I want, except the Italian>English doesn't seem to be available yet. I think I'll get one. Thanks!
Advert
Old 05-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #21
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Well, let's see how that works out. I'd be happy to pay a little premium for a quality dictionary, but they should either be good mono-lingual ones, or if they use English as the common language be able to translate to and from that. I have no need for an English>Greek dictionary (I don't speak Greek), a lthough a Spanish>English one, say, might come in handy at times.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 02:27 PM   #22
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Sounds like just what I want, except the Italian>English doesn't seem to be available yet. I think I'll get one. Thanks!
Yes, there are several english-english dictionaries available
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:13 PM   #23
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logseman View Post
Pocketbook 360's system implies navigating onscreen to the word. Given the ugly keyboard input of PB, I find it a better system. However, you can look up a word outside of reading, since the dictionary can be accessed as a separate application as well.
For a device without a touchscreen the keyboard input is really quite clever. You are presented with a "keyboard" that looks something like this:

q w e | r t y | u i o
a s d | f g h | j k l
z x c | v b n | m p '

When the cursor is in the entry area, if you hit the middle button, the cursor is placed on the g. If you hit the right side of the silver button around the middle button the cursor is placed on the k. And if you hit the left side of the silver button the cursor is placed on the s. If you hit down on the silver button you the cursor is put on a space, to the left is a delete all button, to the right is a hyphen and below are the entry buttons.

This system makes it so that you are never more than 2 clicks away from the letter you need to enter. Very ingenious!

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2010, 03:49 PM   #24
mdmorrissey
Addict

Just watched "Nate the Great's" 2-part PB hands on video, which was good because I had not seen one in action yet. After that, however, I watched this one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFTkL...eature=related. But reading the comments to this video, it appears that this comparison is misleading and due to a file defect. Or does anyone else claim that PB is slow to open and cannot remember bookmarks accurately?

Anyone have experience uploading dictionaries for PB. I need Italian-English.
Old 05-19-2010, 06:01 PM   #25
Logseman
Orisa
Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Logseman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Onyx Poke 5
I've never had such trouble with any book I've ever opened, in any format (even DRM'd ones). I believe that would have to do with the file. For some reason, the reviewer didn't disclose any information about the file which would have been useful.
Logseman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 12:24 AM   #26
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I haven't watched the video, but I've never had any problem opening any of my books/files and my bookmarks have been remembered every single time.

I'd say it was a problem with the file itself.
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:38 AM   #27
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
But reading the comments to this video, it appears that this comparison is misleading and due to a file defect. Or does anyone else claim that PB is slow to open and cannot remember bookmarks accurately?
I do not speak German, so even if I watched the video I did not understand the commentary.
I have never experienced PocketBook loosing a bookmark or not remembering where I left the book.
The vast majority of files I have opened on PocketBook open in a very reasonable time. A friend of mine wanted to test my PocketBook on one particular pdf and the opening of file took several minutes. It was pdf with textbook. Big, complicated book full of graphics, very complicated layout, *lots* of embedded fonts, lots of formulas, charts ...
The video is definitely misleading. I have opened many hundreds of various e-books on my PocketBook and only one, or perhaps two took this long to open.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 02:59 AM   #28
Bookster
Maniac
Bookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enoughBookster will become famous soon enough

Device: Gen3 PRS505&600 Kindle2 Pocketbook360&302 BeBookmini Onyx Boox Opus
Quote:
Sorry, didn't read the previous posts carefully. So to answer my own questions, yes the battery is user-replaceable, Italian>English is not (yet) possible, and the new Pocketbook 360 with the language pack will cost 259 euros. This is 20 euros more than the current model, so assuming there are no other differences I guess I should go ahead and get the current version. Does this come with an English-English dictionary, or any other dictionaries? From what I've read it seems likely that two-way dictionaries will be coming before too long (?). Or is there an Italian>English dictionary already that can be uploaded? I'm just about sold on the Pocketbook 360...!
Italian-English is possible with free dictionaries. I don't have one in my PB because I don't need it, being Italian and having practically no ebook in Italian on the PB (they're just beginning to sell them properly now!); it also probably depends on the level of the dictionary you want to use. The free ones (with a few exceptions) are quite basic, and if you don't know, say, the proper infinitive form for a verb you have to scroll- just like Kacir said for Russian and Slavonic languages, Romance languages work the same way; so if you don't know the "forms" yet (paradigms, in old grammar) it's harder to use them for- say- verbs.
Bookster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 03:57 AM   #29
Guns4Hire
Reading...Since 1970
Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.Guns4Hire knows the square root of minus one.

Device: Nova Air C, Nova Pro, LifebookMars, BoyueT62+ Glowlight, NST, PB360
Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
There are quite a few dictionaries available.
Most of those are to/from Russian or Ukrainian language.
There used to be quite a few dictionaries, games, themes and other goodies at
http://bookfast.org/category/pocketbook
but the address has expired. I will try to find out where the files are hosted now.
Seems http://bookfast.org is back up.
Guns4Hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 04:01 AM   #30
rogue_librarian
Guru
rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rogue_librarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Basic 613
Not for me: This domain name expired on May 02 2010 08:33AM. Click here to renew it.
rogue_librarian is offline   Reply With Quote