Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 03-04-2010, 06:08 AM   #1
Purge
Enthusiast
Purge began at the beginning.

Device: None
So many choices!

Hey,

I've got a PRS 600 and I love it - the only thing that annoys me sometimes is the contrast. It's fine most of the time, but in situations where I'm not going to be sure of the lighting I can end up having a bad time.

So I'm looking at getting another reader. I've used a PRS 300 (Got one for my mother) and love it, so that would be the natural choice... but then I've looked at the Opus and the Pocketbook 360, and they both look good as well. The Pocketbook looks really appealing.

Then, I've also looked at the Nook and iRiver Story too! The pricing is all fairly similar, as I'm in the UK. (I will be travelling to the US soon though, so any from stores I can get there, which is what I was thinking with the Nook.)

Does anyone have any recommendations? How do the screens, with only 4 levels of grey, compare to the PRS 300 screen which has 8? My main complaint is the contrast with the 600 and I wouldn't want that to repeat.

Calibre is my software of choice for library management.

Thanks for any help, guys.

Oh, and anyone have any recommendations on where I could pick up a PocketBook in the UK? I've only found one site so far and it was pretty expensive.
Purge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 06:19 AM   #2
IndecisiveMe
Addict
IndecisiveMe doesn't litterIndecisiveMe doesn't litter

Device: Pocketbook 360, Sony PRS-T1
I can't comment on most of your questions as I don't yet have a device. I ordered a Pocketbook 360 a couple of days ago from www.pocketbookreader.com, I think it's the US site for Pocketbook. I'm in Australia and it was the only way to get one here and for much cheaper than any reader I could get in Australia (including shipping).

Good luck!
IndecisiveMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2010, 03:52 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purge View Post
Hey,

I've got a PRS 600 and I love it - the only thing that annoys me sometimes is the contrast. It's fine most of the time, but in situations where I'm not going to be sure of the lighting I can end up having a bad time.

So I'm looking at getting another reader. I've used a PRS 300 (Got one for my mother) and love it, so that would be the natural choice... but then I've looked at the Opus and the Pocketbook 360, and they both look good as well. The Pocketbook looks really appealing.

Then, I've also looked at the Nook and iRiver Story too! The pricing is all fairly similar, as I'm in the UK. (I will be travelling to the US soon though, so any from stores I can get there, which is what I was thinking with the Nook.)

Does anyone have any recommendations? How do the screens, with only 4 levels of grey, compare to the PRS 300 screen which has 8? My main complaint is the contrast with the 600 and I wouldn't want that to repeat.

Calibre is my software of choice for library management.

Thanks for any help, guys.

Oh, and anyone have any recommendations on where I could pick up a PocketBook in the UK? I've only found one site so far and it was pretty expensive.
With the exception of touchscreen units, contrast/display quality are more or less identical.
Some state, nook would have the best contrast so far. I tend to agree, but it's a minor difference.
"calibre" is working for all readers, doesn't make any difference.
Check out my thread "8+ readers in comparison" https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...=49817&page=26, I've ranked 15 readers: My personal ranking, ranking considering prices as well and ranking only features and not focussing on design.
My personal favorites are: Sony 900, nook, BeBook Neo and iRex 800.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2010, 05:34 PM   #4
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Purge, a good alternative to the eInk screen is the Toshiba TFT screen found on the Ectaco Jetbook, the Jetbook Lite and the Aluratek Libre. They are less expensive than the eInk devices as well.
GA Russell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #5
ikan kona
ikan kona began at the beginning.

Device: iriver story
Iriver story

I updated to the 1.61 and like the reflow and really dislike the corner zoom, but from a developers point of view, I understand the problems.

Most of mine ebooks are pdf, and if I can use reflow on them it really works nice, but there are really big problems.

Problems to consider:

1. The Zoom with the four steps, should be possible to customize in settings, so I would be able to have it on medium/sec.medium/high as my own customized standard.

2. Zoom in both versions does not work in landscape mode. Why?

3. The corner Zoom has to be easier in functionality, (sorry but to 80es software engineer loves his idea)

4. When I have a book on my SD card and read in it, the Story does not save my Reflow and Zoom settings, this means that i every time I read a book from my SD card have to inter the settings once more. (sorry but that's really crappy)

5. Why does the Story not recognize any book in the book section when i only have my books on a SD card, should recognize them. (have my books on diffrent SD cards, categorized)
This means that each time re-inter another SD card it shall remember where i was in the book and what Reflow/zoom i had, otherwise it wont be real to call it an expansion possibility.

6. The Reflow display some pdf, very weird, exampled under:

Fred is fat and lives in a shel
ter while eating fish with his toes, and usually he sleeps with fresh herring under his pillow.
Unfortunate for the other resi
dents in the shelter, he is resisting any fish related arguments.

So it breaks the lines in some words, this is really not acceptable, please fix it.

7. Must agree with critics that it is cheap not to deliver a cover with the story.

8. There should be a possibility to set the story, to re-inter directly into the book you just read last time, so you dont have to g0 through the menu every time.

9. I can not bookmark pages in pdf's.

10. Recent book, should be resent books, if you are reading several at the time.
ikan kona is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert