Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 06-13-2015, 11:22 AM   #16
shentar
shentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enoughshentar will become famous soon enough

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
I think you're confused about hard and sym/soft links. AFAIK hardlinks wont stretch across networks, they have to be on the same partition see What is a hard link? -- by The Linux Information Project.

Which is why I referred to symlinks - which will stretch across file systems and partitions and networks.
BR
You are quite right about the difference between hard and soft (or sym) links, but you have misunderstood what I am actually doing.

A hard link allows multiple directory entries to reference the same inode, which points to the actual on-disk storage and contains a reference count for the number of entries pointing to it. Because of this a hard link can only be used within a file system, but in my case the file system is the raid array and I am creating the links from within the NAS operating system so provided the calibre library and my master file archive are on the same raid volume all is OK. Normal file operations over samba or NFS do not break the link. Eventually I would like to do away with the master archive but I can't do that right away as I have a lot of other material such as poster art, trailers, making-of documentaries etc. and if I get too ambitious and go for a complete solution I'll get bogged down and achieve nothing. The calibre library of linked files is a good 80% starter project and I can figure out what to do with the other stuff at a later stage.
shentar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2015, 05:41 PM   #17
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by shentar View Post
You are quite right about the difference between hard and soft (or sym) links, but you have misunderstood what I am actually doing.
gotcha - I assumed (for no good reason I can think of right now) that the library was on the client and the files were on the NAS.

I would suggest checking out what happens if you 'rename' a book by correcting a Title/Author and if you use the Copy to Library options (copy & move) — even if 'those things will never happen' I'd be interested as to what you discover.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shentar View Post
I have a lot of other material such as poster art, trailers, making-of documentaries etc. and if I get too ambitious and go for a complete solution I'll get bogged down and achieve nothing.
This is precisely the sort of thing for which I use Evernote see Calibre and Evernote

I deleted your double post

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 06-13-2015 at 05:51 PM.
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-14-2015, 10:11 AM   #18
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
I believe it should be safe, as IIRC on supported filesystems calibre moves files using hardlinks and unlinking the old file.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote