Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-17-2013, 07:55 AM   #1
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Device: Kobo Glo
Broke my power slider!

Oof! I opened up the back of my GLO to see if the SD card was 4GB. It wasn't, it was 2GB, fine, but when I snapped the back cover on again, the power slider was dead I tried paperclip reset, I tried factory reset, nothing works. I obviously did some harm to the hardware, but I can't see anything in there that seems damaged.

My question: Has anybody had this happen, and if so, is it at all possible to fix?
Joques is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 12:31 PM   #2
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
Oof! I opened up the back of my GLO to see if the SD card was 4GB. It wasn't, it was 2GB, fine, but when I snapped the back cover on again, the power slider was dead I tried paperclip reset, I tried factory reset, nothing works. I obviously did some harm to the hardware, but I can't see anything in there that seems damaged.

My question: Has anybody had this happen, and if so, is it at all possible to fix?
I wonder if all you did was misalign the button. Unfortunately you will have to carefully take it apart and check it. Once its apart you can test the button by manually sliding the button with out using the external button, if it turns on it was misaligned carefully reassemble your GLO and move on. If it does not turn on its most likely FUBAR. The other option is the screen was damaged when you took it apart and the issue is this. If that's the case you will have to replace the screen and it may just be easier to purchase the AURA, or AURA HD but in this option the cost of the GLO will be cheaper.

Unfortunately these things happen and I don't really have much more insight, I have disassembled my glo many times and had no issues.

regards

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 02:08 PM   #3
fxp33
Addict
fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.fxp33 figured out that Keyser Söze was the Kevin Spacey character in less than 20 minutes.

Device: Kobo Glo, Aura HD, kindle paperwhite
Hi,

I had the slider not working anymore 4 months after I bought it. Of course, I had used it in extensive ways
I had to use the reset button for a few days before having time to exchange it.
I got an immediate replacement at the store where I bought it (Fnac in France).

Hope you soon get another one.

François
fxp33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 02:38 PM   #4
KevinShort
Addict
KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinShort ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Wifi, Kobo Glo
I've noticed that my Glo's power slider doesn't work while I have the back cover off unless I apply some pressure from the back close to where the power slider is located. You could try doing that, take the back cover off and try to turn your Glo on while applying pressure on the back near the power slider.
KevinShort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2013, 05:06 PM   #5
henriquemaia
Ignorant of many things
henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.henriquemaia can eat soup with a fork.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
The power slider of my Glo broke too after I was also checking for its SD card. I thought of replacing it, but since I have a sleep cover and almost never used the slider (really, almost never), I just ignored and used it like that ever since that happened. I kind of like to know my Glo is crippled; it has that flair of those rugged vintage devices that keep on working in spite of damages that happen to it.
henriquemaia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Seems worst case you could turn it off and on with a magnet?

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 02:48 AM   #7
Joques
Addict
Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.Joques is my name, but call me Ishmael.

Thanks for the replies :-)

Jackastor: It is probably not a problem with the screen itself, because it will turn on and off using the sleepcover. So like Henriquemaia, I might just leave it. Although sometimes I will put it to sleep in order to clean the screen, and that will be difficult now. When you say take it apart, you mean loosening the screws and removing the motherboard from the screen? Not sure I'm comfortable doing that.

fxp33: I had mine mailed to me by a friend in England, and I'm in Norway. Not sure if it's worth the hassle :-)

KevinShort: I tried, but no go. Thanks for the attempt though.

I'll most likely just leave it.
Old 11-18-2013, 07:01 AM   #8
jackastor
Wizard
jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackastor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iphone stanza, kobo touch,ASUS TF300,KOBO GLO, Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joques View Post
Thanks for the replies :-)

Jackastor: It is probably not a problem with the screen itself, because it will turn on and off using the sleepcover. So like Henriquemaia, I might just leave it. Although sometimes I will put it to sleep in order to clean the screen, and that will be difficult now. When you say take it apart, you mean loosening the screws and removing the motherboard from the screen? Not sure I'm comfortable doing that.

fxp33: I had mine mailed to me by a friend in England, and I'm in Norway. Not sure if it's worth the hassle :-)

KevinShort: I tried, but no go. Thanks for the attempt though.

I'll most likely just leave it.
No i mean removing the back cover and reassembling it correctlly obviously the switch was jamed by incoorectly positioning the back cover. removing it and placing it back correctly should fix the issue

Regards.

Jack
jackastor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2013, 07:12 AM   #9
Joques
Addict

Ah, I see. No, I've removed the back cover already and tried the slider with it off, and no difference. I thought you meant misaligning the switch within the slider