Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-18-2013, 10:49 AM   #1276
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: No K1, PW2, KV, KOA
Quote:
Originally Posted by twobob View Post
Shameless
In spite of China's official position of enforcing international, Intellectual Property Rights, it is still a "really big deal":

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2013/05...nese_ip_theft/

Prosecuting folks who only fail to abide by the terms of the license under which they use Open Source Software is probably way down on that list.

Even a large American company (who should know better) can be seen to delete copyright and license terms in open source software by diff'ing the Amazon source code releases with the originals.

They are doing that at the same time they are locking out the device owner from making changes to the GPLv3 licensed code, a violation of that license.

As twobob wrote: shameless

Last edited by knc1; 10-18-2013 at 10:51 AM.
knc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 07:51 AM   #1277
furbiez
furbiez began at the beginning.

Device: kindle k4
Hey all.
I have recently bought the kindle 4 with 4.1.1 and tried to install the DOUKAN as described here. Everything goes well untill the two barcodes are visible. A loading bar at the bottom loads up and when it finished, after the restart I get the kindle OS start and there is no option to choose for the DOUKAN. Can anyone help me? I have downloaded the proper version of the DUOKAN.

Any help is much appreciated.
Thanks.
furbiez is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-20-2013, 01:00 PM   #1278
rorogio
Enthusiast
rorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than mom

Device: Kindle PW
anyone knows how to make screenshot on Duokan 2013 on KPW?
rorogio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:57 AM   #1279
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by rorogio View Post
anyone knows how to make screenshot on Duokan 2013 on KPW?
Did you try the regular way of the original OS?
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 07:25 AM   #1280
rorogio
Enthusiast
rorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than momrorogio loves his/her reader more than mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
Did you try the regular way of the original OS?
yes, did not work

any other ideas?
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #1281
losmi
losmi began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post
DuoKan starts cloud service for personal documents. (it is also has a limit of 5GB)
how can i upload books on cloud(which one) ,to be visible from my kindle-duokan
thanx in advance
losmi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 02:24 AM   #1282
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by losmi View Post
how can i upload books on cloud(which one) ,to be visible from my kindle-duokan
thanx in advance
just use your Duokan account email like on the Amazon's service.
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 06:15 AM   #1283
rorogio
Enthusiast

how to make screenshots on Duokan 2013 on KPW?
is this possible?

At the same time hold the upper left and lower right of the screen
(not working in browser)
Old 10-27-2013, 07:20 PM   #1284
moongoat
moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Quote:
Originally Posted by ixtab View Post
@thomass: thanks, interesting information.

If I understand this correctly, they don't give a shit about software licenses and happily help themselves without ever giving back, AND they make money with it. This is where my sympathy definitely ends.

I suggest that whoever finds a jailbreak method for the upcoming Paperwhite 2 explicitly states in the accompanying license that it is expressly forbidden to use or adapt the method for parasitic projects such as DuoKan and Kindlean.
I'm a Duokan reader from China and this is my first time to know all those contradictions between you and Duokan system. I have translated your saying to the Duokan's official forum and I hope they could pay serious attention to this issue. Anyway as a Chinese I have to tell you the truths that 99.9% of Chinese people got absolutely no idea about what you are talking about, especially the copy licenses relative issues. For me and others such ignorant to your efforts is surely unacceptable by you but please may I ask you for a honorable kindly tolerant to this, for millions of Chinese readers who can't speak English at all avail from your efforts and I'm sure if they know what you have done they would express their most sincere appreciation to you. Thank you very much for your work again! I'll keep support you and try my best to remind others that we should not ignore your efforts!
moongoat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 08:07 PM   #1285
knc1
Going Viral
knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.knc1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thank you very much.

Your government's offical position is on our side of the matter.

But it would be better if the users knew what was happening.

Everything published here is free to use by anyone -
but to give away our efforts only be abused - no one likes that.
Old 10-27-2013, 08:23 PM   #1286
moongoat
moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.moongoat is out to avenge the death of his or her father, Domingo Montoya.

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
Thank you very much.

Your government's offical position is on our side of the matter.

But it would be better if the users knew what was happening.

Everything published here is free to use by anyone -
but to give away our efforts only be abused - no one likes that.
Thank you for your tolerant too! I'm not from the official company of Duokan (it has been integrated by XIAOMI now and the founder of the Duokan system has became the now partner of XIAOMI), but I hope that they could donate certain amount of their income of selling e-books to this forum to support your work. The real fact is now in China we do not have an air of prosperity in e-book market like amazon, so I think Duokan is trying to formulate and expand their own OS to occupy a share. But still I think they should declare an explanation for you about the commercial profits.
Old 10-28-2013, 03:43 AM   #1287
hawhill
Wizard
hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hawhill ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Mini
We are not affiliated with Amazon in any way. In fact, probably the opposite. Amazon seems to go some yards just to put some hurdles in our ways. This forum is only the "homebase" of development efforts. Albeit a good one, I must say. Forum etiquette here is quite good and the communication is excellent.

The criticism on Duokan here is manyfold and individual. But please, let me put it into perspective first: This forum is not a project, it is not even a group of close individuals. It is a very open, very diverse group of people that share interest in tinkering with their Kindles. The outcome reflects this. There's jailbreaks, small hacks and big hacks to original software and a bunch of original new software, depending on the jailbreak(s).

Duokan is interesting as a software (it is _NOT_ a full OS!). I think this is generally accepted here. And I can pretty well imagine that it makes the Kindle accessible in the Chinese language community in the first place. That is a commendable effort!

The fine line that has been crossed, however, can be described as follows:
- Duokan does not acknowledge. Of course it stands on the shoulders of giants, and it fails to mention that properly. This is the open source software it uses internally. And then it is the small hacks that were published and described in this board, most prominently the jailbreak techniques, but also the installer mechanism. Duokan uses this stuff.
- Duokan does not comply. There are OS licenses for a lot of the software Duokan uses. They most probably demand that a lot of Duokan should be open sourced as well.

I guess the latter is done out of a commercial interest. That is too bad. Duokan could have been an open community effort, but it decided against it and to ignore licenses. And licenses are basically the declared whishes of developers who had the goodwill to give their code to the public. And if you're into civilization and rules things: They are legally binding whishes, too.

I think we don't hate Duokan for doing this. But we cannot respect them for their efforts this way, either.

Personally, I think they risk a lot when they are building bigger and bigger business on this flaky sandy legal grounds. I guess it's the way to make business in China today (be fast, expect a timely end of business), but that might soon be yesterday's way there, too. Volatility of the markets will sink pretty soon and people will profit that settled on durable business models. Another personal note: I think they really should open source their software, even given their business model. They don't have much to lose on that front. Now that Amazon is burning bridges for independent development, Duokan will have a problem, too. Arguably, a much bigger problem than us non profit developers.
hawhill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2013, 04:21 AM   #1288
knc1
Going Viral

There is one exception here to what Hawhill writes.

The KUAL (Kindle Universal Application Lancher) is a team effort.
The addons it lanches are the work of individuals but the menu system itself is the work of a small group.

The KUAL project does accept donations.
Any excess is in turn given to the Laos Literecy Prodject.
None of the money is wasted.

"E-book users helping others learn to read."

Last edited by knc1; 10-28-2013 at 04:24 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:06 AM   #1289
moongoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawhill View Post
We are not affiliated with Amazon in any way. In fact, probably the opposite. Amazon seems to go some yards just to put some hurdles in our ways. This forum is only the "homebase" of development efforts. Albeit a good one, I must say. Forum etiquette here is quite good and the communication is excellent.

The criticism on Duokan here is manyfold and individual. But please, let me put it into perspective first: This forum is not a project, it is not even a group of close individuals. It is a very open, very diverse group of people that share interest in tinkering with their Kindles. The outcome reflects this. There's jailbreaks, small hacks and big hacks to original software and a bunch of original new software, depending on the jailbreak(s).

Duokan is interesting as a software (it is _NOT_ a full OS!). I think this is generally accepted here. And I can pretty well imagine that it makes the Kindle accessible in the Chinese language community in the first place. That is a commendable effort!

The fine line that has been crossed, however, can be described as follows:
- Duokan does not acknowledge. Of course it stands on the shoulders of giants, and it fails to mention that properly. This is the open source software it uses internally. And then it is the small hacks that were published and described in this board, most prominently the jailbreak techniques, but also the installer mechanism. Duokan uses this stuff.
- Duokan does not comply. There are OS licenses for a lot of the software Duokan uses. They most probably demand that a lot of Duokan should be open sourced as well.

I guess the latter is done out of a commercial interest. That is too bad. Duokan could have been an open community effort, but it decided against it and to ignore licenses. And licenses are basically the declared whishes of developers who had the goodwill to give their code to the public. And if you're into civilization and rules things: They are legally binding whishes, too.

I think we don't hate Duokan for doing this. But we cannot respect them for their efforts this way, either.

Personally, I think they risk a lot when they are building bigger and bigger business on this flaky sandy legal grounds. I guess it's the way to make business in China today (be fast, expect a timely end of business), but that might soon be yesterday's way there, too. Volatility of the markets will sink pretty soon and people will profit that settled on durable business models. Another personal note: I think they really should open source their software, even given their business model. They don't have much to lose on that front. Now that Amazon is burning bridges for independent development, Duokan will have a problem, too. Arguably, a much bigger problem than us non profit developers.
Thank you very much for clarifying the general profile of the conflict. I totally agree with your viewpoint that Duokan should sacrifice somewhat of their profits to follow and acknowledge the licensees. Some of the replies I got in Duokan forum today is trying to separate the Duokan Bookstore and the Duokan system, in which it claims that Duokan system is not for commercial using at all, so it in this way fit the license's spirit. For the open sources issue, your analysis is pretty precise and sharp, too. Duokan now may had spent a certain amount of money to hire employers to develop its core technology so I don't think they have such will to open it. But as you mentioned, such commercial model may not survive for long, for it is so selfish and haughty that it not expresses the good will to share and to corporate with others. However, though it is pretty sad to acknowledge, I suppose Duokan's benefit is not a piece of small cake sharing by different stakeholders in our country, which hinders its potential possibility to connect you guys too. Until now I got no official reply from Duokan, as I supposed it would be before, but as a average readers I think I have tried to inform this information to them. Let's wait and see what will happen, I hope it would be a win-win result.
Old 10-28-2013, 08:22 AM   #1290
moongoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by knc1 View Post
There is one exception here to what Hawhill writes.

The KUAL (Kindle Universal Application Lancher) is a team effort.
The addons it lanches are the work of individuals but the menu system itself is the work of a small group.

The KUAL project does accept donations.
Any excess is in turn given to the Laos Literecy Prodject.
None of the money is wasted.

"E-book users helping others learn to read."
I do hope Duokan could implement some charities too. But I think they have their own ambitious to construct a close eco-system similar to amazon.
So sad.

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf