Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #1
islandcharlie
islandcharlie began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
How to remove chapter break?

I am currently editing a book in Sigil, to avoid the task of major corrections needed if I go back to my MS Word original text. One thing has baffled me after inadvertently adding an extra chapter break. How do I remove a chapter break (a "section") in Sigil? The manual doesn't tell me.
islandcharlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:00 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
This really belongs in the Sigil forum.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2011, 02:06 PM   #3
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool right-click

Quote:
Originally Posted by islandcharlie View Post
I am currently editing a book in Sigil, to avoid the task of major corrections needed if I go back to my MS Word original text. One thing has baffled me after inadvertently adding an extra chapter break. How do I remove a chapter break (a "section") in Sigil? The manual doesn't tell me.
right-click the split and choose 'merge with previous'
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Manichean
Wizard
Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.Manichean is the 'tall, dark, handsome stranger' all the fortune-tellers are referring to.

Device: Cybook Gen3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
This really belongs in the Sigil forum.
Yup. Done.
Manichean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 01:26 PM   #5
islandcharlie

Thank you all again. My book "the Picnic at the Edge of the Universe" is now published by Lulu, but there is a problem getting it distributed to other retailers. It seems that one requirement is a valid Table of Contents, an NCX file. I have finally figured out how to generate one (in Sigil 4) but am baffled over how to then insert it in my list of files in Sigil. Any help or advice would be useful. Thanks again.

Charles Scurlock
Advert
Old 08-16-2011, 01:36 PM   #6
charleski
Wizard
charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.charleski ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505
Sigil automatically generates and maintains the NCX. If you see your table of contents listed properly in the ToC browser pane, then the NCX is correct.
charleski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 04:32 PM   #7
islandcharlie

The ToC.NCX is there at the bottom of the list of files in the left hand column and also shows complete in the ToC browser pane but not as an XHTML file up among the chapter files where I thought it should be to appear in a reader device. Am I mistaking the goal here. I am somewhat confused since my text document contains its own functional, hyperlinked TOC.
Old 08-16-2011, 04:43 PM   #8
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
An EPUB TOC is not inline in the document like in a printed book. What you're seeing is correct. That NCX file is your TOC. The TOC browser gets its information from that file.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
st_albert
Guru
st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'st_albert gives new meaning to the word 'superlative.'

Device: none
If you need an INLINE table of contents (i.e an xhtml file containing links to your chapters, sections, etc.) you can make one based on the toc.ncx file and add it to the book in Sigil. Search Mobileread (epub or mobi forums, I think) for two ways to generate a toc.xhtml from the toc.ncx, one using a perl script, and the other using nothing more than a text editor that supports regex search and replace.

IIRC you can also coax Calibre into preparing one by performing an epub-to-epub conversion.
st_albert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:35 PM   #10
mhikl
Enthusiast
mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.mhikl once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod touch
Sigil is getting so good and the little tricks make it even better. I am not a great reader of manuals, though I try, but rarely am able to find answers to my problems.

I finally have a template for making my favourite ebooks more readable but it has parts/chapters/sections I needed to delete. Then alansplace Wizard's suggestion to right click suddenly seemed so obvious I couldn't believe it never crossed my mind. Just tried it and found answers to many of my questions for making a good Sigil ebook. I like the fact that Sigil is so clean and simple but I do struggle with some of the simplest things.

I just went back for a quick look at the manual to see if I can find the right click thing. Not obvious and for the manual dysfunctional it might never be found. I was just working my way from page one of Sigil on this forum and came upon this post so I am off and running with a smile on my face and warm thoughts for alansplace Wizard, this forum and author Strhinja Marovic.

Namaste,
mhikl
mhikl is offline   Reply With Quote