Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
New iPads coming?

Apple event on 22nd October?
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 01:52 AM   #2
Canuck_in_Japan
Wizard
Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Canuck_in_Japan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura, Aura H2O, Kindle PW3
Looking forward to the new ipad mini! I'm glad I wasn't suckered into getting one last year.
Canuck_in_Japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 02:08 AM   #3
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW4, PW3, Libra H2O, iPad 10.5, iPad 11, iPad 12.9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Apple event on 22nd October?
I think that's pretty much a guarantee. Looks like they're permanently switching from a March/April to October/November release for the iPad so it's the right time for it. I'm more curious whether the new iPad Mini is going to have a retina display or not. I greatly dislike jaggies on the current Mini (played with it in the Apple Store and decided not to purchase).

Last edited by ilovejedd; 10-21-2013 at 02:11 AM.
ilovejedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 08:05 AM   #4
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
I think I might get my first iPad. I was waiting for an iPad Mini retina but since I already have an iPhone I think I'd get more mileage out of the iPad. Does Apple typically reduce the prices of the existing model for clearance when they announce a new release? I've noticed them $30 off at Best Buy with the sale ending on the 24th and I'm wondering if they'll go down further than that.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:11 AM   #5
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b
ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ilovejedd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
I think I might get my first iPad. I was waiting for an iPad Mini retina but since I already have an iPhone I think I'd get more mileage out of the iPad. Does Apple typically reduce the prices of the existing model for clearance when they announce a new release? I've noticed them $30 off at Best Buy with the sale ending on the 24th and I'm wondering if they'll go down further than that.
Check out the Apple Refurbished store. Older models typically get discounted by $100-150. The products are good as new and carry the same 1-year warranty as brand new items. You can also get Apple Care+ for additional coverage.
Advert
Old 10-21-2013, 11:08 AM   #6
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by treadlightly View Post
Yes, the current full-sized usually get reduced by $100 (or more) as soon as the newest model is introduced. These will be new iPads not refurbished. Since the Mini is less expensive, the discount will probably be less than $100.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:20 AM   #7
treadlightly
Wizard
treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.treadlightly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
Yes, the current full-sized usually get reduced by $100 (or more) as soon as the newest model is introduced. These will be new iPads not refurbished. Since the Mini is less expensive, the discount will probably be less than $100.
Perfect, thanks! I'll definitely wait until after Tuesday then.
treadlightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 11:40 AM   #8
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
That's only if Apple keeps on selling the older models (as is the case with iPad 1 & 2). The iPad 3 just got dropped from the product line. Otherwise, you can get them "refurbished" and I reckon immediately after the new product announcement or release, all Apple does is put a "refurbished" sticker on the older models.

That said, going with Apple refurb is an excellent way to save an extra $50-100 on Apple products. Quality is the same as new (with new chassis and battery) and you get the same warranty so it's not like you're really sacrificing anything by going refurb.
Old 10-21-2013, 11:51 AM   #9
jswinden
Nameless Being

Retailers will probably have some stock left so they will have to discount them to liquidate. Best Buy usually discounts them like Apple. Last year they sold the iPad 3 for $100 less than the iPad 4 while their stocks lasted.
Old 10-21-2013, 03:34 PM   #10
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
Just don't buy last year's mini... completely outdated screen by now. Only Retina will do for a reasonable October 2013 purchase.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 03:53 PM   #11
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
Just don't buy last year's mini... completely outdated screen by now. Only Retina will do for a reasonable October 2013 purchase.
Matter of personal preference. Once prices drop, I'm actually planning to get one as a gift for my niece.
Old 10-21-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
Faterson
pokrývač škridiel
Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Faterson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 3*iPad, SamsungNote & Tabs, 2*OnyxBoox, Huawei 8″, PocketBook
The niece definitely doesn't deserve that... Seriously, I'd blame myself for donating the original iPad mini to anyone in October 2013. Suffering from bad eyesight myself, I can't overestimate the importance of a truly crisp screen, such as that offered by Retina devices. If it's just a matter of money, I'd rather buy my niece the new Nexus 7 whose screen is on the level of Apple's Retina devices.

Naturally, this is your niece and your decision.
Faterson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #13
ilovejedd
hopeless n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Faterson View Post
The niece definitely doesn't deserve that... Seriously, I'd blame myself for donating the original iPad mini to anyone in October 2013. Suffering from bad eyesight myself, I can't overestimate the importance of a truly crisp screen, such as that offered by Retina devices. If it's just a matter of money, I'd rather buy my niece the new Nexus 7 whose screen is on the level of Apple's Retina devices.

Naturally, this is your niece and your decision.
She'll be quite happy even with the iPad 2 and in terms of pixel density, the Mini's already better. She's coming from an iPod Touch so another iOS device is just easier.

Granted, I personally wouldn't buy the current iPad Mini for myself. I'm myopic and the jaggies on the Mini really annoy me.
Old 10-22-2013, 02:58 AM   #14
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I'm probably going to sell my Mini, after having sprung for one not that long ago. I don't mind it at all, but since buying the Logitech ultraslim BT keyboard for my iPad3, I'm using the mini far less. It lives near the couch and I periodically pick it up to look at it or to play videos from the hard drives in my study, via Plex and Airplay to the appleTV/regular TV. I can do that with my phone or the other ipad so its a bit redundant. I'm glad I did it though because now I know exactly what I want and don't want all Good.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2013, 12:00 PM   #15
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Live streaming starts in one hour. CNET's live stream starts now.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote