Notices

Old 09-21-2012, 02:46 AM   #1246
AndyBurns
AndyBurns began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Glo & Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Agh, I just got this too! Thanks for mentioning your fix
You're welcome ... FWIW it's never recurred here, then I haven't bought any new kepubs since 2.1.1
AndyBurns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:08 AM   #1247
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peakcrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
... when I put the Touch to sleep the book synced its bookmark before actually going to sleep. How rude!
From the company that pushes firmware updates to you whether you want them or not, that seems quite tame

Well, I haven't forgotten that this time I was the one that took the firmware, whether the company wanted me to or not

Still, it is actually quite a good thing that it syncs the bookmark right before going to sleep, so that if I were to continue reading upstairs in bed on my iPhone (not that I do that; I carry my Touch with me everywhere), it will open to the page I just closed. Still, it should know not to do the syncing when Wifi is turned off. Gah.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyBurns View Post
You're welcome ... FWIW it's never recurred here, then I haven't bought any new kepubs since 2.1.1
Ah that's good to know. I was indeed not completely trusting my Touch yet... and I don't plan to buy another kepub soon so I figure it'll be fine for a while

I am impressed with how the kepubs are formatted nowadays though. Good links to footnotes (with popup previews! Great!), links from all titles back to the index, and from the index to anywhere, at all times a "back" link in the bottom menu if you get lost... Great. And I also find myself enjoying the page numbers per chapter. It is usefull. On the other hand, I sorely miss knowing whereabouts in the book I am. I have no idea how many pages it has and thus I cannot attach a meaning to the "26% read"... (apparently not too many pages then, since I only got this book last night and I haven't done a lot of reading). Unfortunately this not knowing the total pages amount is absolutely not acceptable for me. So, no kepubs until I have more options! Sigh. And the font size of this book I bought is ridiculously large. I had to set it right down to almost nothing and it is still too large, while all the other text (the dictionary and footnote popups etc) are too small to read. And I'm not keen on setting everything exactly to comfortableness because I don't want to have to do too many steps to "back to normal" when I go back to the other book I'm reading that has regularly sized text... Oh, and, I do not seem to have to wrong cover display bug any more. Unless that's a bug that only occurs for epubs... Just checked: yep. Reading the kepub gives me the correct cover first time round; reading the epub gives me the kepub's cover first sleep, second sleep is its own cover. So I do still have the bug in 2.1.1. (And yes, text is waaaay too small in the epub now. I wish the font and margin settings were set per book, not for everything ) Anyway. Rant over now.
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 11:52 AM   #1248
scoobertron
Connoisseur
scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.scoobertron ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo touch
I noticed the font issues as well, which actually put me off buying any kepubs. I don't know why the settings don't stay constant and override the book font options. Having to fiddle with the settings everyone I open a new book is going to get old quickly.
scoobertron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2012, 11:55 AM   #1249
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by scoobertron View Post
I noticed the font issues as well, which actually put me off buying any kepubs. I don't know why the settings don't stay constant and override the book font options. Having to fiddle with the settings everyone I open a new book is going to get old quickly.
You might want to try convincing all the ebook publishers that consistent settings make for a more enjoyable experience. Since I'm one of the people who regularly use Sigil to modify the epubs I purchase (which is one reason why I don't purchase kepubs if I can avoid them), I've found margins, font size and font selections vary all over the place even between books from the same publisher or in the same series. One ebook I purchased had margins close to 2 cm. on all 4 sides of the screen, a default font size that was in the 6 point range and a nasty collection of typographical oddments -- do I really need dropcaps that are hardwired to look good on a computer screen when I'm trying to read on a handheld ereader?
DNSB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 07:52 AM   #1250
kattibrie
kattibrie began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch
Hi!

Ever since I got the 2.0.0 update my Kobo Touch is Suuuuper slow to go to the home page. (I just tries adding some previews to the wishlist and it nearly froze).Strangely enough if I first go to the library and enter a book from there and then exit the book to the back to library button, everything is normal. Does anyone else have this kind of problem?

Thanks
kattibrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 09:54 AM   #1251
Splicer
Splicer began at the beginning.

Hard-cover issue ==> beware !!

Guys, a few weeks ago I reported some issues with the Kobo becoming touch-unsensitive when left alone for lets say > 30 minutes in sleep mode. Thinking this was a hardware issue, I returned it to the shop and got a new one .. first I thought all was OK, but then when putting the device in the 'hard-cover' I bought, the issue popped up again.
I finally discovered that when closing the cover, there was an 'inside-pocket' in the cover that constantly touched the screen when the cover was closed. This somehow caused the issue as when I just 'cut-out' this pocket (so that the screen isn't touched when the cover is closed) the problem went away.
This was repeatable behavior as also the Kobo I bought for my sister-in-law had exactly the same issue (with the same resolution of cutting-out the pocket of the hard-cover).\

Thought I wanted to let you guys know as this was a 'hard-to-find' issue (and also 'hard-to-explain' as one would expect that in sleep-mode, the touch-screen would be completely insensitive but apparently constant-touches still trigger some software-activity rendering the device insensitive after a prolongued time.

PS> thanks also for replying to my 'margin-questions', using Calibre to convert epubs w.r.t. setting 'no-margins' and filtering existing margin/font settings works excellent and now all epubs behave alike w.r.t. initial font-sizes and responsiveness to margin/font commands by the touch itself rather than relying on the 'baked-in' settings in the epub.

Cheers,
Hans
Splicer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:36 AM   #1252
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kattibrie View Post
Hi!

Ever since I got the 2.0.0 update my Kobo Touch is Suuuuper slow to go to the home page. (I just tries adding some previews to the wishlist and it nearly froze).Strangely enough if I first go to the library and enter a book from there and then exit the book to the back to library button, everything is normal. Does anyone else have this kind of problem?

Thanks
Hi Kattibrie, welcome to the forum.

So, you're saying that if you're in a book, and from that book you go back to the home screen, that works fine with no delay. Correct?*

Does that mean the suuuuuper slow behaviour you are talking about only occurs when you put new books onto your Touch? If so*, I'm afraid that is normal behaviour for the new firmware. But luckily, it will also only occur the first time you view the new books in the library. The second time you see the same books in the library you'll find happens at normal speeds.

This has to do with the Touch making cover images for the books. Previous firmware did that while processing new content at startup. Current firmware does it the first time you view the books (covers) on the Touch either on the home screen or in the library. Davidfor can explain it much better but I can't find the post he wrote a while back explaining it all. (Anyone: please feel free to correct me where I'm wrong.)

Hope that helps!

*If not, you might find some solutions here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...vidfor+content

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 09-26-2012 at 10:44 AM.
Old 09-26-2012, 10:37 AM   #1253
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Splicer View Post

Guys, a few weeks ago I reported some issues with the Kobo becoming touch-unsensitive when left alone for lets say > 30 minutes in sleep mode. Thinking this was a hardware issue, I returned it to the shop and got a new one .. first I thought all was OK, but then when putting the device in the 'hard-cover' I bought, the issue popped up again.
I finally discovered that when closing the cover, there was an 'inside-pocket' in the cover that constantly touched the screen when the cover was closed. This somehow caused the issue as when I just 'cut-out' this pocket (so that the screen isn't touched when the cover is closed) the problem went away.
This was repeatable behavior as also the Kobo I bought for my sister-in-law had exactly the same issue (with the same resolution of cutting-out the pocket of the hard-cover).\

Thought I wanted to let you guys know as this was a 'hard-to-find' issue (and also 'hard-to-explain' as one would expect that in sleep-mode, the touch-screen would be completely insensitive but apparently constant-touches still trigger some software-activity rendering the device insensitive after a prolongued time.

PS> thanks also for replying to my 'margin-questions', using Calibre to convert epubs w.r.t. setting 'no-margins' and filtering existing margin/font settings works excellent and now all epubs behave alike w.r.t. initial font-sizes and responsiveness to margin/font commands by the touch itself rather than relying on the 'baked-in' settings in the epub.

Cheers,
Hans
Thanks for the warning Hans, good to know!
Old 09-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #1254
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Quote:

<snip>

Cheers,
Hans
May I ask what cover please?

I use a Skindigital and just want to know if I should be cutting the pocket out.

Thanks,

Steve
Chocky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:40 AM   #1255
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:

Cheers,
Hans
I have never experienced that behavior, and my cover has a similar pocket that touches the screen when closed.

Out of curiosity, do you simply close the cover and let your Touch automatically enter sleep mode on its own? In my case, I always enter sleep mode manually because I found that simply closing the cover would cause page turns, which annoyed me. That could account for our different experiences.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2012, 10:54 AM   #1256
Splicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
I have never experienced that behavior, and my cover has a similar pocket that touches the screen when closed.

Out of curiosity, do you simply close the cover and let your Touch automatically enter sleep mode on its own? In my case, I always enter sleep mode manually because I found that simply closing the cover would cause page turns, which annoyed me. That could account for our different experiences.
Hi,

I did the same, first put to sleep and then close the cover ..

The cover doesn't have a 'brand' on it, but it has a magnetic closing lid and has a logo that looks like a lasso on the front ..

-Hans
Old 09-26-2012, 12:08 PM   #1257
Chocky
Addict
Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Chocky can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Must admit, the pocket on mine does touch the screen, (I've just checked), and this behaviour has never happened on mine.

Steve
Old 09-26-2012, 01:04 PM   #1258
Splicer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chocky View Post
Must admit, the pocket on mine does touch the screen, (I've just checked), and this behaviour has never happened on mine.

Steve
Hi Steve,

When you close the cover without it being asleep, does it trigger touch-events ? (as my cover does i.e. also 'properly' touches when the device is asleep).

I agree its strange, but its reproducible, so if it ever happens to somebody, its at least good to know about it.

-Hans
Old 09-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #1259
Chocky
Addict

Hi Hans,

When I close the cover with the Kobo on, it does indeed turn the pages.

Every time I close the cover, the page turns.

Steve
Old 09-26-2012, 03:47 PM   #1260
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
Hi,

I did the same, first put to sleep and then close the cover ..

The cover doesn't have a 'brand' on it, but it has a magnetic closing lid and has a logo that looks like a lasso on the front ..

-Hans
Since only Hans is having this problem and can reproduce it, but Steve and the.Mtn.Man do not experience the problem even though the pages do get turned with case closed and KT on (in Steve's case anyway)... Perhaps it's not the pocket touching the screen or being near the screen, but something to do with the magnets in the magnetic closing lid that Hans has?

Not that I would know how that would work, though. And unless the magnets are in the pocket, I don't really understand why cutting out the pocket would solve the problem...

Just a thought.