Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 09-06-2013, 11:58 PM   #91
tompe
Grand Sorcerer
tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tompe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Nexus 5, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
I don't see that analogy working. You can have virtual shelves on one reader. You don't have different houses for each of your shelves, do you?
Well some people have... And even if you do not have that my differen to read shelves for paper books definitely had a difference in how easy it was to access them.

That is the point with just storing on the reader the books you really want/need to read. It focus you and you do not get side tracked with reading things that you can postpone reading. It also is more satisfying reading a book on the reader. Reading 1 of 80 books is more satisfying than reading 1 in 10000 books. 80 books is an achievable goal to finish.

Quote:
Always is a long time. Many of us find connectivity far from ever-present and assured, even if we were all in favor of depending on cloud storage, which not all of us are.
The extremely few time there is no net you have t manage with the maybe 100 books you have stored on the reader.

I did not mention cloud storage. I thought of having the books at your computer at home and just access them from the net.
tompe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 AM   #92
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
I've only got 449 books in Calibre so you'd think I'd put them all on my devices - but I don't. I only ever have 3 or 4 books actively on the go at any one time and I usually know from within a pool of say 50 or so what I want to read next. Actually I usually have the next 2 or 3 books "queued up" but sometime I go outside that.

I've got a number of devices I read from including PCs, my tablet, my phone, the android stick attached to my TV and of course my actual ereaders - so having the same to-read set on all is a bit of a hassle. I have a way of doing it with Calibre and Reading Lists but...

In the end I found I prefer to just select a few manually. Generally I have 75-125 on my ereader at any time. Actually since I have my Calibre library in Dropbox I generally don't even need to do that that often. Almost all my devices can download a file - apart from my Kindle. I can if I need to upload my books to my Amazon Personal Docs but I prefer not to with books I've deDRM-ed. So usually I either read Amazon-sourced books or plug the Kindle into one of my Dropbox-synced PCs. I suppose that's why I don't use the Kindle for travel as much as the Kobos.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 08:08 AM   #93
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Okay I have to ask how do you read ebooks on your TV? You said an Android stick? What is that?
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #94
latepaul
Wizard
latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.latepaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: a variety (mostly kindles and kobos)
It's a device that runs Android and has a HDMI out to plug into a TV. I use it mainly to run Netflix but I can also use it to browse the web or read books using any of the Android ereader apps that are out there.

Here's a Youtube video of one such device - there are several available.
latepaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:30 AM   #95
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
I'm another of those who only has a small number of books on my ereader at any one time. Never more than 30 and usually only about 10 or so. I use Calibre to manage my library as it's far superior to anything else, and also because it's far easier to browse any large collection on a computer screen than on a ereader.

It's cool that you can pretty much carry your whole library with you, but I just don't see the attraction. I don't imagine those of you who do this only ever used to read sitting next to your bookcase or in your study/library just because you might happen to fancy reading a different book and therefore had to have it on hand in the same room as you? Or maybe you did! Each to their own I guess anyway.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-07-2013, 09:23 AM   #96
Jdschi
Connoisseur
Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.Jdschi is far more humble than you.

Device: Nexus 7.2, PW2
I belong to those that don't have their entire library on their ereader. I use Calibre to manage it too.
My eLibrary is relatively small anyway (but if I continue to download as many freebies as I do at the moment, it'll reach those proportions eventually lol) and I only have 3-4 books on my device at the moment. I upload one, read it, then upload the next. I could upload them all since my tablet has enough space, but I don't see the need. The number might grow just because I'm too lazy to delete the read ones from there, but that's the only reason. It's (or was) the same with my Kindle - I charged it on my computer anyway (never bought that adapter thingie), so I changed the books on the device then and there.
I guess if I were to travel somewhere I would simply plan accordingly. Of course it might happen that I wanted to read THIS EXACT book that I forgot to upload - but then I would simply have do with the ones I had with me.
Jdschi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #97
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
So far the people who do not keep their entire library on their ereader seem to be in the majority even though they claim to be in the minority.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:34 AM   #98
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
So far the people who do not keep their entire library on their ereader seem to be in the majority even though they claim to be in the minority.
Apache
Maybe the ones with the whole libraries on their e-readers are too busy reading to post...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:42 AM   #99
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post
I'm another of those who only has a small number of books on my ereader at any one time. Never more than 30 and usually only about 10 or so. I use Calibre to manage my library as it's far superior to anything else, and also because it's far easier to browse any large collection on a computer screen than on a ereader.

It's cool that you can pretty much carry your whole library with you, but I just don't see the attraction. I don't imagine those of you who do this only ever used to read sitting next to your bookcase or in your study/library just because you might happen to fancy reading a different book and therefore had to have it on hand in the same room as you? Or maybe you did! Each to their own I guess anyway.
The attraction...mobility. The ability to get up and go, anyplace, anytime, no advanced planning. Now either that appeals to a person, or it doesn't. <Shrug>.

(Phone rings..."Hey Ralph, want to go to the beach? I'll drive." Beach being 2 hours away, say. Response: "pick me up in 5 minutes." Grab my "go bag" and liseuse and boogie...)

It's something I never had with p-books. Always tied down to the baggage train.

Last edited by Greg Anos; 09-07-2013 at 11:45 AM.
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:50 AM   #100
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apache View Post
Apache
Set up a poll and we'll know Someone will be able to add it to the topic.
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 11:55 AM   #101
voracious71
Addict
voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.voracious71 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Kindle PW4, Kobo Clara
I delete from my ereader right after I finish a book. I don't often reread a book and when I do, it's one of my favorites and I have it in paper. Weird, I know.
voracious71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:10 PM   #102
cortman
Zealot
cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cortman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kindle 3 3g, Nook HD+, Nexus 4 (Mantano)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I have hundreds of thousands of e-books.
How did you do that?? I'm impressed!
cortman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:52 PM   #103
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by l_macd View Post

I always had a large drawer of books beside my bed for much the same reason that I have a lot of books on my reader. I read in bed before I go to sleep. Once I am settled I don't want to get out of bed to get another book.

Obviously I didn't have the luxury of 1,000 books in my bedside table drawer, although I used to have more in my apartment. But if I could have I would have.

And the situation was different. Of the 1,000 or so paper books I had I had read probably 90% so I only had maybe a couple of hundred that I hadn't read and I actually do not know why I kept the rest. I had no desire to reread most them, some weird hoarding thing I guess.

If I won a lottery I would be hoarding ebooks big time and if possible would want every one of them on every reader I owned.

I think it is a decision making thing. There are literally 1,000s of books I want to read that I actually know of. I want to have them all available to read whether I am home, on the bus, in a waiting room etc.

I don't want to say to myself, you've got x books here to read, just get over it and read one of them. And honestly there are just so many books in the world, that I cannot remember at all times what I have bought, borrowed, gotten as freebees or 99 cents etc. So if I did not find something in the 100 books that struck my fancy and was out of town I might buy a book I already owned. Not the end of the world, but would upset me a tad. And yes, I could have the catalogue on my reader and do, but balk at using it.

Plus I love calibre, but picking and choosing just a few books to send is fraught with peril. I can sit for hours and start reading the books on my computer, or wonder if I have converted them properly, or second guessing myself as to whether I have too many or not enough of a certain type of book.
I will then end up not sending a single book because I just can't decide.

I guess I go on the maybe/probably approach. Maybe I will want to read that this week, month, year etc. So I put on a bunch at once and it is done. I was the same in bookstores and libraries. Didn't spend a lot of time fussing over whether a book was ideal, just grabbed a bunch that looked likely, and generally enjoyed them all.

My hat goes off to those who are structured enough to know just what they want to read next, or can narrow it down to 100 books. Narrowing it down to 4 is unimaginable to me. Makes my head hurt and my eyes water just to think of that. I can read a book in an hour or three and could take that long to make up my mind what 4 books to put on the reader. Then a few hours later I am hungry again

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:07 PM   #104
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Here's some other potential differences:

95% of my reading is done in the comfort of my own home. Of that 5% done away from the comfort of my own home, I can't remember the last time I finished a book and needed to pick something new to start. So I have no need to have all possible choices available to choose from on the fly. Mostly because I'm never on the fly: I'm at work or I'm at home--and those two places are about 8 minutes part.

Also, almost all the ebooks I own, I've already read. My next read usually hasn't been purchased yet. I finish a book and then go fishing around the internet for what I might want to read next. I don't really stockpile unread ebooks on any of my hardware. Mainly because I don't think any of it's in danger of being unwritten before I get around to wanting to read it. I mean, I'll catch a bargain every now and then, but for the most part, I don't buy an ebook I'm not ready to begin reading immediately.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 09-07-2013 at 08:24 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 08:19 PM   #105
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Here's another big difference: 95% of my reading is done in the comfort of my own home. Of that 5% of the reading done away from the comfort of my own home, I can't remember the last time I finished a book and needed to pick something new to start.
Probably 95% of mine too. But for some reason I find the decision making process of what to read next easier on the reader, and I don't have to get out of bed or up from my comfortable chair and abandon my cup of coffee or glass of wine to do it.

Just on bus reading alone, I am sure I have had to change books a dozen times in the last year. I spent about 20 hours a week for three and 1/2 months in the hospital emergency (only place to get it done in Vancouver it seems) having intravenous antibiotics for a leg infection. I did finish at least 5 books a week in the emergency and It was kind of a pleasure when I was feeling pretty miserable overall to just be able to browse my reader and pick another book. Made a small dent in my misery

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote