Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 11-25-2011, 09:56 AM   #91
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Original, WiFi, Touch, Aura, Aura H20, MiniGloHD ;) iOS app
Quote:
Originally Posted by verano View Post
Has anyone earned the "Game's Afoot" award? The icon is of a fingerprint.

Just curious what the criteria is... my guess is something to do with crime/mystery novels, but I've read 20 plus of those, so now I'm curious how to get it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by auriel View Post
It might have to do with Sherlock Holmes. I think "The game's afoot," is a quote from one of the novels.

I could be wrong, but that's my guess.
According to my notes, if you purchase five books from the publisher Soho Press you will get "The Game's Afoot". Oh, and it's only possible to get this on iOS.
Sharkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2011, 12:08 PM   #92
Sharkus
Evangelist
Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sharkus ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Awards

Wink wink, nudge nudge, say no more. You didn't see me mate, I wasn't here

Below is, as far as I'm aware, the complete list of awards that can be achieved for each platform. Some are easy to obtain, others are not so easy.
Some of these are hidden awards, so they won't appear in the awards list until you have acheived them.

Obviously I've not included how to get them all, that would be cheating

iOS
Welcome to Reading Life
BookLover
Facebook
I <heart> My Library
Once Upon a Time
Not an Open Book
Scout Leader
Free Loader
Deep Thinker
Inverted Comma
Night Rider
Word Up!
Classic Attack
Fanatic
Papillon
Total Recall
News Hound Award
Magazine Junkie Award
Extra! Extra!
Gimme Zines!
Keener
Hot off the Press
The Twain Award
Juggernaut
Page Turner
Afternoon Rush Hour
Happy Hour
Primetime
Better in Bed
Witching Hour
Graveyard Shift
Breakfast of Champions
Kill the Commute
Sleeping In
I Eat Books for Lunch
Playing Hooky
Milk and Cookies
Holiday Cheer
Out with the Old
The New You
Magic Kobo eReader
LOLz
Instapaper
Pressed for Details
To a Million and Beyond!
The Game’s Afoot
Lost in Austen
Off the Wall
Quoth the Maven
All You Can Eat
Sun, Sea, Sand, Kobo
Spirit of Portland
Time Lord
Highly Decorated
Fully Loaded
Sneaky Reads

Kobo Touch
Welcome to Reading Life
BookLover
Facebook
I <heart> My Library
Once Upon a Time
Not an Open Book
Scout Leader
Inverted Comma
Night Rider
Word Up!
Papillon
Juggernaut
Page Turner
Afternoon Rush Hour
Happy Hour
Primetime
Better in Bed
Witching Hour
Graveyard Shift
Breakfast of Champions
Kill the Commute
Sleeping In
I Eat Books for Lunch
Playing Hooky
Pressed for Details
All You Can Eat
Highly Decorated

Android
Welcome to Reading Life
Facebook
I <heart> My Library
Once Upon a Time
Not an Open Book
Scout Leader
Free Loader
Deep Thinker
Inverted Comma
Night Rider
Fanatic
Papillon
Total Recall
The Twain Award
Juggernaut
Page Turner
Afternoon Rush Hour
Happy Hour
Primetime
Better in Bed
Witching Hour
Graveyard Shift
Eat It (NB: different name from other platforms)
Kill the Commute
Sleeping In
I Eat Books for Lunch
Playing Hooky
LOLz
Off the Wall
Quoth the Maven
All You Can Eat
Fully Loaded

Note: I think that the Android awards will also apply to the Kobo Vox

Other
Bon Temps
Fangtasia
Hotel Carmilla
Dead Reckoning
Queen Bee
Secret Keeper
Scandal Sheet
Twisted
Blinged Out
Total Closer
Just The Highlights
Potent Quotables

Note: These are awards not tied to a specific platform. I can say for certain they are acehviable on iOS.

Last edited by Sharkus; 11-25-2011 at 12:10 PM.
Advert
Old 11-25-2011, 03:44 PM   #93
estelle58
Cat lover
estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.estelle58 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone, Kobo Vox, Kobo Glo, iPad mini, Kindle Paperwhite, Kobo Aura
I got the "Hotel Carmilla" award and I have no idea how I got it...
estelle58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2011, 08:22 PM   #94
verano
verano began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Touch, iPad
Thanks for the complete list, Sharkus, and the tip on how to get game's afoot!

Anyone know how to get Spirit of Portland or Sun Sea Sand Kobo?

I am wondering if they are tied to having to buy a particular book, the way the true blood/sookie stackhouse/pretty little liars awards are....
verano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2011, 09:36 PM   #95
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Thanks for the complete list, Sharkus, and the tip on how to get game's afoot!
My pleasure

Quote:
Anyone know how to get Spirit of Portland or Sun Sea Sand Kobo?

I am wondering if they are tied to having to buy a particular book, the way the true blood/sookie stackhouse/pretty little liars awards are....
I was going to be coy, but I'll be honest and say; yes, I do know how to get almost all of the awards (There may be one or two on Vox I don't know about, pretty sure Touch I know them all, and iOS, that is a 100% certainty). Hopefully this doesn't sound too big headed of me, it isn't meant to be.

I'm not sure if there were emails from the marketing team about the Portland and Sun Sea awards, as they are, like some of the others, a bit tricky to get, but that's part of the idea / fun of the awards, it's meant to be a game. This is also part of the reason why I did not and won't give out the complete information of how to get them all, that and I'd probably get into a bit of trouble at work for doing it.
Advert
Old 11-28-2011, 10:25 PM   #96
Xennex1170
Addict
Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xennex1170 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharkus View Post
My pleasure

I was going to be coy, but I'll be honest and say; yes, I do know how to get almost all of the awards (There may be one or two on Vox I don't know about, pretty sure Touch I know them all, and iOS, that is a 100% certainty). Hopefully this doesn't sound too big headed of me, it isn't meant to be.

I'm not sure if there were emails from the marketing team about the Portland and Sun Sea awards, as they are, like some of the others, a bit tricky to get, but that's part of the idea / fun of the awards, it's meant to be a game. This is also part of the reason why I did not and won't give out the complete information of how to get them all, that and I'd probably get into a bit of trouble at work for doing it.
Well, the original purpose of this thread when I created it was to give the method in which to achieve each award, thus the spoiler warning..
Xennex1170 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 09:29 AM   #97
JedV
Kobo Toucher
JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.JedV is cognizant of many things which escape those who dream only by night.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by riverlily View Post
Is that all the awards you can get for the KT?

For the All You Can Eat award I don't think you need 100 books, I've gotten it before I got 40+ books in my library.
I got that very early on when downloading free books from the Kobo Store. I think it was a round number like 10.
JedV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 12:36 AM   #98
Mebooklover
Mebooklover began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
New to this forum, but I've been reading it a few weeks now. I've got Kobo on Android and the Kobo Vox and I'm having award issues with both of them.

Does anyone have this problem that the e-reader tells you that you have a certain amount of awards, but when you count it, it shows you a lesser number? I'm perplexed about that!
Mebooklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2011, 08:18 AM   #99
verano

@mebooklover

Yes, the whole Kobo platform has been kind of wonky for almost a month now. I have a few open 'tickets' with their help support desk (one of them about missing awards), but I guess they are backlogged because of all the problems.

Hopefully they will be able to fix it soon, and then I assume all your awards should be corrected and the numbers match.
Old 11-30-2011, 05:43 PM   #100
Mebooklover
Mebooklover began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo Vox
Quote:
@mebooklover

Yes, the whole Kobo platform has been kind of wonky for almost a month now. I have a few open 'tickets' with their help support desk (one of them about missing awards), but I guess they are backlogged because of all the problems.

Hopefully they will be able to fix it soon, and then I assume all your awards should be corrected and the numbers match.
LOL. I have a few open tickets with them as well, and it takes them forever to get back to you.

Thanks for letting me know there are others who are in the same position. Sometimes I felt like I was the only one getting on their nerves repeatedly.
Mebooklover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2011, 09:55 PM   #101
verano

Freebie Kobo Award!!!

Great news for anyone wanting to add on another 'secret' award- you can get the "Dead Reckoning" award without having to buy a book.

Search for the Sookie Stackhouse book 'dead reckoning', and then just download (and 'read') the free preview (I did it on my ipad 2, not sure if it works across all devices) and you get the award.

Whew, saved from having to read actual vampire books just so I can methodically (and crazily) collect all awards! lol
Old 12-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #102
TurtleTots
TurtleTots began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
I am new to this whole ebook reading thing and I have a few questions.

1.How do I get the free preview? I can only seem to see the purchase button
2. my 'not an open book' award won't activate i have finished about 5 books now.
3. the 'total recall' award won't activate either. I have read the same book 4 times twice on the iphone and twice on the ipad....

@sharkus: are all of the awards you listed for iso still active? ie milk and cookies, time lord..etc.
TurtleTots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2011, 09:37 AM   #103
verano

Hi Turtletots,

1. When you are looking at a list of books at www.kobobooks.com, at the bottom of each book listing will be a small blue lowercase 'i' with a circle around it. Click on that, and then click on "save for later". That will give you a free preview then the next time you sync your iphone/ipad/kobo.

2. probably because the kobo system is pretty f-ed up right now (has been for the month of november, and looks like it's continuiing).

3. same as above. you can call/email Kobo for customer service help, but because everything is all f-ed up you're looking at an hour wait on the phone, or a couple weeks before they reply to your email (based on my experience). I also have missing awards, and the response thus far has been something along the lines of "Sorry to hear that. We continue to work on fixing the problem". But nothing's been fixed, so....

Good luck!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:35 PM   #104
Sharkus
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurtleTots View Post
I am new to this whole ebook reading thing and I have a few questions.

1.How do I get the free preview? I can only seem to see the purchase button
2. my 'not an open book' award won't activate i have finished about 5 books now.
3. the 'total recall' award won't activate either. I have read the same book 4 times twice on the iphone and twice on the ipad....

@sharkus: are all of the awards you listed for iso still active? ie milk and cookies, time lord..etc.
In regards to Not an Open Book and Total Recall. Did you completely (95% plus) finish the book? Some books will have footnotes and other chapters at the end of the book and these do count towards the completion of the book. What you would want to do is to go to the last page of the book and then use the "Tap To Close This book" button.
That should get you not an open book. If you open the same book and go right to the end and do the same thing, you should get Total Recall.

As for:
Milk and Cookies
Holiday Cheer
Out with the Old
The New You

I will need to check on these. They were specifically for the 2010 Holiday Season, as Reading Life was launched shortly before then. Not sure if they were keyed to a specific year or not, and / or a specific version of the app. It's possible we removed them and thus it might not be possible to gain them any longer.
Old 12-03-2011, 09:29 PM   #105
TurtleTots
TurtleTots began at the beginning.

Device: iphone
thank you Verano. Thanks for the info on the free preview, I got the 'Dead reckoning' award! I will not be waiting on hold as I'm in China, and that's the reason I have started reading e~books. It's very hard to come by english books here lol.

Sharkus, I have finished and closed close to 10 books now...I have read 'twas the night before Christmas' 4 times now on the iphone. Since I got it from the gutenburg project I have even gone through the licence at the end and still no awards

I got the following last night:
all you can eat
papillon
free loader
instapaper
off the wall and
dead reckoning

I have 64% of Twain and 28% of Juggernaut...I'm off to turn more pages!
TurtleTots is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awards, reading life, touch