Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 05-20-2010, 09:22 PM   #1
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
WSJ: E-Books Rewrite Bookselling

Quote:
The success of Amazon.com Inc.'s Kindle e-reader recently changed all that, proving to publishers that the e-books market was real.

But it wasn't until the arrival of Apple Inc.'s iPad last month—with its promise of one day tapping more than 125 million iTunes customers—that the true potential of the e-book market became apparent.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1000...206855634.html

HAHAHHA.....another journalist drinking the iPad koolaid.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
advocate2
My Kingdom for Karma
advocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the roughadvocate2 is a jewel in the rough

Device: Sony 350, 650, 950, Nook Color
It was interesting to hear that BN acquired B. Dalton (now gone) and another chain, now almost all gone. Doesn't say much about the future of Fictionwise.
advocate2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-20-2010, 10:35 PM   #3
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Quote:
Originally Posted by advocate2 View Post
It was interesting to hear that BN acquired B. Dalton (now gone) and another chain, now almost all gone. Doesn't say much about the future of Fictionwise.
I used to love the B.Daltons while growing up-one of the great mall bookstores of my youth!
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 09:01 PM   #4
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Ideas for B&N Success:

ebooks purchased on an iphone / nook / even laptop using store WiFi give a cut to the store, and inform the consumer of this. Also include books purchased after reading it in store give credit to store. Perhaps even go so far as adding a barcode reader to the nook to allow easy purchase of physical book in ebook form...

Sell several models of ebook readers in store.

Sigh. Close the door on fictionwise, ereader, etc. Give users option of ereader .pdb / adept .epub / or BN .epub at time of download (or, if required, purchase) at B&N. Give current club members 100% refund, or 120% refund in gift card form.

Expand and promote more children's books. My daughter would prefer 20 physical books to an ebook reader with 1,000 titles. She can't read yet, however...

Continue and expand author readings, local author readings, etc.

Add more couches, etc. Encourage people to hang out and read in store.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2010, 10:18 PM   #5
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
If those BN.epubs & adept.epubs can't be downloaded to my Sony reader then it's useless to me. And I'm NOT buying another ereader.
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-21-2010, 10:27 PM   #6
riemann42
Zealot
riemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enoughriemann42 will become famous soon enough

Device: eSlick,nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
If those BN.epubs & adept.epubs can't be downloaded to my Sony reader then it's useless to me. And I'm NOT buying another ereader.
Adepts can be read by most devices, including Sony.
riemann42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #7
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by riemann42 View Post
Adepts can be read by most devices, including Sony.
That's fine but the other thing I don't like about B & N & Sony is that you don't really have ownership of the books. If you have to re-download, you have to go to your library linked to the store. They cannot be saved seperately to your pc.

I just downloaded Sidney Sheldon's free book from Sony. Yes I put it on my reader & fortunately I have a 2gb memory chip that I put it on, But I can't put it on either of my hard drives. This is something I DON'T like!

If these stores go belly up we're all screwed. I do NOT want to be dependent on any store in order to re-download books I have bought.

I hope more stores like Fictionwise, and Ezreads spring up!
Old 05-22-2010, 12:26 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrizz View Post
That's fine but the other thing I don't like about B & N & Sony is that you don't really have ownership of the books. If you have to re-download, you have to go to your library linked to the store. They cannot be saved seperately to your pc.
Sure you can. It is probably already on there, you just have to find where the Sony software is storing your books. There will be a folder where it's putting them. On mine it is 'reader library' and if I open that folder, all the books are there.

However, you can't just drag and drop them onto a device because the device has to be authorized for them to work on it. So what I do is I open the reader library folder, find the book in question, use software to remove the DRM, and then I have a plain, regular epub file I can do what I want with.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:11 PM   #9
cfrizz
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by ficbot View Post
Sure you can. It is probably already on there, you just have to find where the Sony software is storing your books. There will be a folder where it's putting them. On mine it is 'reader library' and if I open that folder, all the books are there.

However, you can't just drag and drop them onto a device because the device has to be authorized for them to work on it. So what I do is I open the reader library folder, find the book in question, use software to remove the DRM, and then I have a plain, regular epub file I can do what I want with.
THANK YOU!!!
Old 05-22-2010, 01:12 PM   #10
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy Tab 2 7.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post

HAHAHHA.....another journalist drinking the iPad koolaid.
Even if the iPad was bought by no one but iZombies, there are a lot of iZombies. Then too, Apple may not lead the way, but they DO change the direction of life on Earth.

Over 30 years ago Sony came out with the Walkman. Back then there were small(ish) flat boxes with a flat tape inside that had music recorded on it. Funny huh.

So Apple decided that it wanted in. Digital music (restricted with DRM) store and digital music players. The world changed. Remove DRM from music, the world changes.

They didn't invent the computer, the portable music player that you can load your music on to, or the ereader. But the world changes when they get involved.

I have my own reservations about Apple Corp. But they do influence The Shape of Things to Come.
SameOldStory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #11
Maggie Leung
Wizard
Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.Maggie Leung beat Jules Verne's record by 5 days.

Device: Kindle, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
Even if the iPad was bought by no one but iZombies, there are a lot of iZombies. Then too, Apple may not lead the way, but they DO change the direction of life on Earth.

Over 30 years ago Sony came out with the Walkman. Back then there were small(ish) flat boxes with a flat tape inside that had music recorded on it. Funny huh.

So Apple decided that it wanted in. Digital music (restricted with DRM) store and digital music players. The world changed. Remove DRM from music, the world changes.

They didn't invent the computer, the portable music player that you can load your music on to, or the ereader. But the world changes when they get involved.

I have my own reservations about Apple Corp. But they do influence The Shape of Things to Come.
Wow, someone who can see the forest for the trees.

iPad is my first Apple computer, and I'm ready to ditch it if something better comes along. I don't qualify as an Apple fan, but I agree that Apple drives tech and content consumption.
Maggie Leung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 02:07 PM   #12
SameOldStory
My True Self
SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SameOldStory ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

On the "Don't own the(e)books" front.

(Thanks Maggie)

I'm just getting started with ebooks. (My PocketBook 302 is due Monday)

So far I've bought (and downloaded free) DRM free ebooks to read on my computer. I've looked on the 'net to learn how to strip DRM, but so far no luck. I'll find it of course. Not a real problem.

Like my previous post lets take a (very) short trip back in time. The VHS / Betamax war. Both companies wanted to make enough money to survive and to grow. That’s how we all survive, make enough money and grow.

The war ended because the people wanted a cheep device that they could buy a movie for, put it into the machine, and enjoy. They DID NOT want to worry "Will this movie (book analogy) work with the player I have?"

Here we sit with a book industry/people war. I want to buy a book that I can keep. If I buy a book from Apple, Amazon, Sony or whoever I don't want to be stuck with a Betamax and no where to put it. Or a company that says "We give up and we're getting out of the ebook business. Sorry about all those books that were on our servers. We just turned them off and sold the parts. Good luck".

If the publishers want me to pay full prices then I damn well will break their DRM. That or buy non-DRM (my first choice).

Publishers that require DRM will be encouraging piracy. Companies like Baen will have my loyalty and I'll not give their books away. Not even their "free books".

Give us good books and we will pay for them. Give us crippled DRM books that reside on your server and can't easily be put on whatever new ereader we decide to buy 5 years from now, and we'll buy from someone else.

One last thing - I am not boycotting Amazon, B&N, Apple. If they want my money they can sell me an ebook I can keep and use. Can you hear me NOW Amazon?

EDIT -hear added

Last edited by SameOldStory; 05-24-2010 at 06:27 PM.
Old 05-22-2010, 10:39 PM   #13
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameOldStory View Post
(Thanks Maggie)

I'm just getting started with ebooks. (My PocketBook 302 is due Monday)

So far I've bought (and downloaded free) DRM free ebooks to read on my computer. I've looked on the 'net to learn how to strip DRM, but so far no luck. I'll find it of course. Not a real problem.

One last thing - I am not boycotting Amazon, B&N, Apple. If they want my money they can sell me an ebook I can keep and use. Can you me NOW Amazon?
Googling for apprentice alf should help with all your DRM issues.

I like your Gordian III ant. I collect coins from the time of Valerian/Gallienus. Are you a collector too?

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 11:58 PM   #14
SameOldStory
My True Self

Thanks for the tip.

Gordian III - That's a picture I used because I just couldn't get a good image with my camera. I don't really collect coins. I just wanted to own a coin that was almost 2,000 years old. After all you can't touch the ones in a museum. If you want someone who is VERY good with ancient coins contact AnemicOak.

Check out some of his coins.

Thanks for asking Marcy. If I can help you in any way just ask.
Old 05-24-2010, 10:09 AM   #15
leebase
Karma Kameleon
leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leebase ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPhone X, Kindle Fire Tab HD 8, Walmart Onn
The article seems well reasoned to me. It gives Amazon the credit for establishing the ebook mass market. Apple got 5 of the top 6 publishers to change their way of business because of the iPad. Because of their deal with Apple, those same publishers have forced Amazon and all the rest of the ebook sellers to change to "agency pricing" for those same 5 major publishers. That's just the fact, no kool-aid required.

Lee
leebase is offline   Reply With Quote