Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: Will you buy an ebook even if a paper edition is the same or less money?
No, if the paper edition is less, I'll buy the paper edition. It's all about the content. 26 14.86%
No, if the paper editon is less, I won't buy the book on prinicple. Ebooks should cost less. 65 37.14%
Yes, I want an ebook because I want what the ebook format offers me. Paper price is irrelevent. 66 37.71%
Other, please explain. 18 10.29%
Voters: 175. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2013, 10:33 AM   #61
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by macminer View Post
Basically, yes
Got ya. Looks like allowing multiple selections on the poll may have accommodated some of the "others."
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 10:37 AM   #62
Quexos
Member Retired
Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quexos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Considering all the restrictions and hassles on e-books, (Geo-restrictions, DRM, formatting issues etc) I do not plan to pay more for an e-book if a print version costs less.
Quexos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 02:32 PM   #63
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by spindlegirl View Post

I'll pay EXTRA for a printed book just for the utter freedom owning it gives me. I can do anything I want except copy it, or plagiarism... but the book is mine to scribble in the inside flap, loan, resell, bookcross, donate to shelters, (and there is a place to donate at the hospital so inpatients can read and take home if they like, too). Everyone in my household can read the SAME copy and then I can loan it to my neighbours. Way more bang for my buck than the privilege of sticking it on some gadget that will likely be obsolete in 10 years.

And yes, I know, printed copies of books can get destroyed or lost in physical disasters, theft, or people who refuse to return them. But out of the number of books I have, so far, very little of the above has happened to me. But I have happily given copies of books to people who have needed them due to dire circumstances.
Ditto

I now buy hardcovers for my most favorite authors only (and generally pay a smidgeon more than an ebook), and used paperbacks occasionally. I don't buy any new paperbacks. I'd rather have an e-book than a paperback. But I don't like DRM'd ebooks so I don't buy those either.

I tend to either go with library books or used paperbacks these days for that market. I've always been very patient though anyway...there's always something else to read.

At least Tor went DRM free And I will buy DRM'd rarely if it's cheap enough ($3 and under) since I can always just strip it.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:30 PM   #64
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quexos View Post
Considering all the restrictions and hassles on e-books, (Geo-restrictions, DRM, formatting issues etc) I do not plan to pay more for an e-book if a print version costs less.
I can't see how geo-restrictions would have any bearing on how MUCH you're willing to spend on an ebook.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 10:29 PM   #65
dkperez
Groupie
dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dkperez ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: nine
It looks like most everybody has their "below this it's an impulse and I just buy it" number... Mine is $3.99. This is up a LOT from the previous limit of $2.99.

If I'd been able to vote in the poll, I'd fall into the "ebooks SHOULD be cheaper than paperbacks" category. They have less residual value.

At the moment I've got a couple hundred to-be-read ebooks, and about a hundred on the "to buy if the author (or publisher) ever stops thinking this ebook is worth $10 or more..."
dkperez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 12:05 AM   #66
ApK
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkperez View Post
If I'd been able to vote in the poll,
If? What do you mean?
Old 05-13-2013, 11:05 AM   #67
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Personally, $5.99 - $6.99 would be the sweet spot for an ebook. I think they should cost less than printed version because they don't have to be printed, distributed to a retail store, take up valuable retail shelf space.

I also take into consideration of whether or not the ebook has DRM on it. I think drmed book should cost less than printed version because I don't feel like I "own" those books. I can't easily lend it out or resell it like printed versions.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:27 AM   #68
ApK

A hundred+ responses in to this little unscientific poll, I must say, while I'm gratified that options 1 and 3 -- what I consider to be "the rational choices" () -- are leading with nearly a two to one margin, I'm honestly surprised how many people answered with option 2.
I truly would not have thought that that opinion was that widely held, even among our little enthusiast group here.

Last edited by ApK; 05-13-2013 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 11:38 AM   #69
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
A hundred+ responses in to this little unscientific poll, I must say, while I'm gratified that options 1 and 3 -- what I consider to be "the rational choices" () -- are leading with nearly a two to one margin, I'm honestly surprised how many people answered with option 2.
I truly would not have thought that that opinion was that widely held, even among our little enthusiast group here.
I count 60 for Options 1 and 3, and 44 for options 2 and 4. So that looks like a margin of 1.36?
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 11:46 AM   #70
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by John F View Post
I count 60 for Options 1 and 3, and 44 for options 2 and 4. So that looks like a margin of 1.36?
The folks who elaborated on their choice of "other" seemed give reasons evenly distributed among all the other options, so I figured option 4 cancelled itself out.

For example, macminer's and rwillmer's "other" votes, had they been allowed multiple votes, would have each counted as votes for both options 1 and 3.

Last edited by ApK; 05-13-2013 at 11:52 AM.
Old 05-13-2013, 01:09 PM   #71
John F
Grand Sorcerer
John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.John F ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
The folks who elaborated on their choice of "other" seemed give reasons evenly distributed among all the other options, so I figured option 4 cancelled itself out.

For example, macminer's and rwillmer's "other" votes, had they been allowed multiple votes, would have each counted as votes for both options 1 and 3.
Ok, so 1.7. I guess that's nearly 2.
John F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:45 PM   #72
Ankh
Guru
Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ankh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Excuse me? Option 2 is "irrational choice"?

"Paper price is irrelevant" only if the price of ebook is irrelevant, too.
Ankh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:05 PM   #73
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ankh View Post
Excuse me?
No. Thanks for asking.
Old 05-13-2013, 04:23 PM   #74
MerLock
Evangelist
MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MerLock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Perhaps an option similar to option 2 should be added? There are other reasons people may not buy a book, not simply because of principle. For example, some may not opt to buy a paperbook because they don't have the space to spare and they won't buy the ebook because it's priced higher than what they are willing to pay.
MerLock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 04:43 PM   #75
ApK

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerLock View Post
For example, some may not opt to buy a paperbook because they don't have the space to spare and they won't buy the ebook because it's priced higher than what they are willing to pay.
Again, from the OP:
"Assume we're talking about a book that you are interested in buying, and if there was no paper edition to compare to, you would indeed be buying the ebook at the offered price."