Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-22-2012, 02:43 PM   #1
JimND
JimND began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
How does the K3 identify books?

I've got a load of books from Amazon, and stripped the DRM as I want the copy on my Kindle to be the .mobi version. That way I can back it up, and restore more easily. Most of the books are fine, but there are a few that show in my Archive, even though the mobi copy is already on the K3. What's the attribute I need to check to make the Kindle recognize the books on there, as books I already have?

Thanks for any help.
JimND is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 02:46 PM   #2
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
What's the attribute I need to check to make the Kindle recognize the books on there, as books I already have?
Doesn't exist that I know of.
The Kindle will always see your DeDRM'ed copy as a different book in that regard.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
pidgeon92
Wizard
pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pidgeon92 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW2, Kindle Voyage, Kindle DXG, Boox M90, Kobo Aura HD
Yup. While I do keep copies of all of my ebooks in Calibre, I only put Kindle ebooks downloaded from Amazon on my Kindle. No point in confusing myself more than I already am.
pidgeon92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 03:40 AM   #4
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Doesn't exist that I know of.
The Kindle will always see your DeDRM'ed copy as a different book in that regard.
I'm not sure that's true, DD. I think Amazon recognise the book from its ASIN identifier, which is not changed by removing the DRM. Eg, you'll still see the popular highlights in a book (if you have that enabled) even with DRM stripped.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 07:05 AM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT
I'm not sure that's true, DD. I think Amazon recognise the book from its ASIN identifier, which is not changed by removing the DRM. Eg, you'll still see the popular highlights in a book (if you have that enabled) even with DRM stripped.
You're right, of course. But the popular highlights and synchronization was not the "in that regard" I was referring to.

I was referring to the book's downloaded status: as in the DRM-free version being on the device is never going to cause the original version to NOT appear in the archive (and vice-versa: deleting the DRM-free version from the device won't make it appear in the archive). Unless you would happen to delete the original purchase from your Amazon library entirely, and then send the DRM-free version to your device as Personal Document and you have personal document synchronization set up. I wouldn't recommend sending DRM-free versions of Amazon purchases back through Amazon's own system, but that's just me.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 10:36 AM   #6
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
You'll need to rename the non-DRM'd one (get rid of _nodrm.mobi and use .azw) on the Kindle ..... ummm ... if that were, of course, how that alf tool worked ..... ....

If the filename isn't the same as the one from Amazon, I don't think it matches the download status.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote