Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-17-2012, 04:34 AM   #16
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, K4, K5, KPW, KPW2
No, this only affects the MOBI reader. The PDF reader is a completely different beast, I doubt that margins can be changed there.

Last edited by ixtab; 02-17-2012 at 04:40 AM.
ixtab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 04:55 AM   #17
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch 5.3.2
Yep, it works fine!
It affects the MOBI reader only...And restarting doesn't restore original margins.
Do you think it is possible to write a script to select margin? I.E: enter margins in DEC, converting them to HEX, write them to reader.pref.
Thanks a lot!
silver18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #18
silver18
THE NOOB
silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silver18 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

New problem:
I tried to read a mobi comic book (converted from pdf) but I can't remove the right margin.
I can't view the pages (1 page=1 image) in fullscreen, just like the cover!
Thanks!!
Old 02-17-2012, 09:36 AM   #19
ixtab
(offline)
ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ixtab ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

That's most likely a problem with the book.
Old 02-18-2012, 08:43 AM   #20
silver18
THE NOOB

Thanks again!
Do you think it's possible to edit the margins using a shell script?
Maybe sed command...
I didn't find any way of doing it!
Old 02-18-2012, 10:16 AM   #21
duxbelli
duxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavens

Device: none
edit: tried from scratch and it works now. thanks, ixtab.

hi guys,

i tried to change the reader.pref file and load it to the directory, but something doesn't seem to work. i can copy the new file to the directory and delete the original one, but then when i open a book the reader.pref file is renamed to "reader.pref.bad_file". i'm not sure what i'm doing wrong.

how did you transfer the modified reader.pref file to your kindle?

Last edited by duxbelli; 02-18-2012 at 10:26 AM. Reason: figured it out.
duxbelli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012, 10:42 AM   #22
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver18 View Post
Thanks again!
Do you think it's possible to edit the margins using a shell script?
Maybe sed command...
I didn't find any way of doing it!
To the best of my knowledge, the tools available on the KT do not support this kind of modification, so it seems like there is no "easy" way.

PS: what would be needed to get this to work is binary reversing, and binary editing of a file. If you find that the tools available on the KT can do this, be sure to leave a reply!
Old 02-19-2012, 02:00 AM   #23
womanizerzz
womanizerzz began at the beginning.

Device: kindle touch
I rooted my KT by YifanLu- ixtab method but I CANNOT access /var/local directory. Why? How can I get that file for adjust margin? Thank you.
womanizerzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012, 02:40 AM   #24
duxbelli
duxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavensduxbelli is a rising star in the heavens

if you have applied yifanlu's jailbreak and installed usbnetwork, you can ssh into your KT from a terminal. then you can freely move around the file system, copy the reader.pref file, modify it, and copy it back.

i found that ixtab is correct that the VI included in the jailbreak tools will not convert the hex, so it is necessary to copy the reader.pref file to your computer where you can use a hex editor.
Old 02-19-2012, 03:41 AM   #25
duxbelli

ixtab, have you managed to change the top and bottom margins? i have changed the areas you indicate but cannot make the top and bottom margins change.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:44 AM   #26
womanizerzz

Got it!. now, with putty, I can see my reader.pref. unlucky, i must pull it to my comp windows 7, edit it with hex editor and push it back, right? Is there any permission of that file need to set when push it back? Do you have any tool for easy download and upload that file? Thank you
Old 02-19-2012, 04:54 AM   #27
duxbelli

when i modified the file, the permissions didn't change. just in case, it seems to me that they should be 644.

short answer, no, i have been using ssh and scp to move files back and forth.

maybe an easier way to manipulate the file is to use putty to copy it to /mnt/us/ -- then you can turn off usbnetwork and mount your kindle as a drive again and edit the file while it's on your kindle but mounted to your PC as a drive. then log back in with putty and move the file from /mnt/us/ to /var/local/java/prefs/

Last edited by duxbelli; 02-19-2012 at 05:10 AM. Reason: correction
Old 02-19-2012, 07:37 AM   #28
ixtab
(offline)

Quote:
Originally Posted by duxbelli View Post
ixtab, have you managed to change the top and bottom margins? i have changed the areas you indicate but cannot make the top and bottom margins change.
Same for me. It seems like these settings are there, but ignored...
Old 02-19-2012, 09:32 AM   #29
silver18
THE NOOB

Same here....
I also tried to change margins "on the go" using a shell script.
2 problems:
1) I don't know how to open a dialog box to enter the selected margin
2) I can change margins using sed command but replacing the corresponding ascii char. I.E: 28hex=( so that I can replace ( with anything else. This means I have to keep an original reader.pref, copy it and the modify the copy everytime!
(by now, I created a small script integrated with the launcher to switch from fullscreen to default. That's all I need by now!)
Old 02-19-2012, 11:38 AM   #30
womanizerzz

Thank you dubelli. There is no thanks button i can click.
I did it but top/bottom margins cannot be changed.